Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 10:35 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,044 times

Advertisements

• Dealers still have to pay TrueCar a fee, and add it to your price.
  • CarFax can still hide a "lemon-law" recalled car.
  • Try to buy a service loaner or sales mgr car that has never been titled.
  • Get all quotes in an email.
  • The further from Wake Co. you shop, often the lower price.
  • VIN searches offered at used car lots are often not a CarFax.
  • The best Honda/Toyota models are often made in USA.
  • When a Honda/Toyota dealer has a 200+K mile car on their used lot, shop for that same year/model car via CraigsList!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 10:50 AM

5,893 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
  • When a Honda/Toyota dealer has a 200+K mile car on their used lot, shop for that same year/model car via CraigsList!
Good suggestions, but I am not sure I would go with the one in red. Based on how people drive rental cars, a loaner could have had some rough treatment.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:18 PM

744 posts, read 1,263,237 times
Some of my friends have had good experiences with Carvana. Their "gumball machine" vehicle delivery dealership in Raleigh is really cool.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:51 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,544,166 times
Is your car still drive-able and would you be willing to drive it even if it were totaled? [If so, you may want to investigate buying it back from the insurance company]

If you are not already set on a particular model, the initial car shopping trip should be to Carmax (not to buy anything as their prices are high) but to sit in various models from different manufacturers to get an idea of what will work for you in terms of fit, appearance, size, etc. They typically have several of each on their lot, all unlocked and easy to get in and out of. In an hour or two, you can narrow down your search (if it was open to begin with) very quickly.

Once you have narrowed down to one or two vehicles, then its time to search model specific forums to see what people are paying for them, even lists which dealers have given deals, whether lease new vs. buy new vs buy used makes the most financial sense, etc. I also wouldn't limit your search to local dealers, find a better dealer outside of the area and see if a local dealer will match or beat it. [I limit the amount of "real" personal information I give to dealerships, usually create an email address for each search to keep the long term spam machine at bay].

Good luck to you and glad no one was hurt in your wreck.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:08 PM
SGW

16 posts, read 23,367 times
Yep, https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls, was really helpful. I am generally a trusting person who wants to believe there is good in all but when car shopping, it really helps to educate yourself. Wish you the best!

Old 10-30-2017, 02:53 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I was referred to Mark Langdon at Fred Anderson by multiple people, and very successfully used him myself 4 years ago. Based on some other comments here, maybe FA has a sales method that works usually.

You certainly want to have other financing (bank, etc) determined before you inquire about any car dealer's.
^^This...^^

Credit Unions are best if you have one. OTherwise your regular bank is a good resource and Capital One is probably another good one.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:35 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,400,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Wow! This is a lot of good info...thanks!

Old 10-30-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
^^This...^^

Credit Unions are best if you have one. OTherwise your regular bank is a good resource and Capital One is probably another good one.
I think I will apply with my credit union. Unfortunately, I spoke with my bank (Wells Fargo) and they informed me that they do not do auto loans!

Old 10-30-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Is your car still drive-able and would you be willing to drive it even if it were totaled? [If so, you may want to investigate buying it back from the insurance company]

If you are not already set on a particular model, the initial car shopping trip should be to Carmax (not to buy anything as their prices are high) but to sit in various models from different manufacturers to get an idea of what will work for you in terms of fit, appearance, size, etc. They typically have several of each on their lot, all unlocked and easy to get in and out of. In an hour or two, you can narrow down your search (if it was open to begin with) very quickly.

Once you have narrowed down to one or two vehicles, then its time to search model specific forums to see what people are paying for them, even lists which dealers have given deals, whether lease new vs. buy new vs buy used makes the most financial sense, etc. I also wouldn't limit your search to local dealers, find a better dealer outside of the area and see if a local dealer will match or beat it. [I limit the amount of "real" personal information I give to dealerships, usually create an email address for each search to keep the long term spam machine at bay].

Good luck to you and glad no one was hurt in your wreck.
Good idea to test drive at Carmax. And you're right, I would never buy from them; they're too expensive, and I don't go anywhere that I can't negotiate. I don't care how good they say the price is....

Old 10-30-2017, 06:56 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,044 times
Unlike rental agency cars, service loaners are often incredibly maintained, or nearly new. They are often used to upsell while a Customer's often-older car is getting repairs.

Manager's cars are also good deals.

Each of the above have never been titled, and are sold as new, at a used-car price!

I've done it several times, no regrets -- ever. Been buying cars for 50+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary