Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2020, 06:35 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,302 times

Advertisements

So WTF are we supposed to be doing as far as socializing...like from a rational standpoint? Like are we supposed to be completely isolating from people? Only socializing outdoors? With masks outdoors? Is going in someone's house like a complete no-no? If we go in, do we wear masks? If so, will they make any difference if we're in there a long time?

I just feel like we're all winging this now. Like there are some government guidelines but then everyone is coming out with various recommendations (stay home! or only small groups! or at least wear masks!) and unlike the beginning when everyone was try to stay home it seems like now everyone is just making stuff up and doing their own thing. And then there are all these things that are opened like restaurants and gyms and offices and retail and so on but then there are all these things are still closed. And some people are like avoid everyone at all costs! and some are like eff it, life must go on and there are some risks worth taking! And I'm left here like WTF???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 04:38 PM

773 posts, read 646,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
So WTF are we supposed to be doing as far as socializing...like from a rational standpoint? Like are we supposed to be completely isolating from people? Only socializing outdoors? With masks outdoors? Is going in someone's house like a complete no-no? If we go in, do we wear masks? If so, will they make any difference if we're in there a long time?

I just feel like we're all winging this now. Like there are some government guidelines but then everyone is coming out with various recommendations (stay home! or only small groups! or at least wear masks!) and unlike the beginning when everyone was try to stay home it seems like now everyone is just making stuff up and doing their own thing. And then there are all these things that are opened like restaurants and gyms and offices and retail and so on but then there are all these things are still closed. And some people are like avoid everyone at all costs! and some are like eff it, life must go on and there are some risks worth taking! And I'm left here like WTF???
Like its a novel virus, which means like, its new, so like no one knows everything about it. So, like, its hard to establish, you know, like hard and fast rules about like, how to avoid passing it on to like other people so like sometimes the recommendations are like different, you know? So like some people do like one thing and like some people do like something different. So like wtf, you know?

Old 11-28-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
Like its a novel virus, which means like, its new, so like no one knows everything about it. So, like, its hard to establish, you know, like hard and fast rules about like, how to avoid passing it on to like other people so like sometimes the recommendations are like different, you know? So like some people do like one thing and like some people do like something different. So like wtf, you know?
Hahaha! Somehow I knew you'd chime in after I posted since you can't seem to resist the urge to mock and be unpleasant, and I actually regretted even bothering. I hoped maybe you'd bow out though after the other thread.

Anyway, I was just using a conversational tone in my earlier post like I would amongst friends, and it was just sort of stream consciousness as I was feeling a bit frustrated trying to make sense of everything. I didn't think we needed to be particularly formal here and was just curious what others, especially those that seem to be quite knowledgeable, make of things. I'm just trying to stay safe and do the right thing for my family and find the right balance. Carry on mocking and being you though! I'd expect nothing less!

Last edited by ITB_OG; 11-28-2020 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: left out an "I"

Old 11-28-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Hahaha! Somehow I knew you'd chime in after I posted since you can't seem to resist the urge to mock and be unpleasant, and I actually regretted even bothering. I hoped maybe you'd bow out though after the other thread.

Anyway, I was just using a conversational tone in my earlier post like I would amongst friends, and it was just sort of stream consciousness as I was feeling a bit frustrated trying to make sense of everything. I didn't think we needed to be particularly formal here and was just curious what others, especially those that seem to be quite knowledgeable, make of things. I'm just trying to stay safe and do the right thing for my family and find the right balance. Carry on mocking and being you though! I'd expect nothing less!
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings! I just don't suffer pointless complaining. Can't help it.

There are no easy answers. Doing the right thing for your family and finding the right balance is the way to go. Thats what I'm doing. I'm just doing it without whining like a 1980's valley girl.

Last edited by Royal James; 11-28-2020 at 06:12 PM..

Old 11-28-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings!

There are no easy answers. Doing the right thing for your family and finding the right balance is the way to go. Thats what I'm doing. I'm just doing it without whining.
Don't worry! There is no way on earth you could hurt my feelings. I have dealt with far worse than random people on the internet being nasty.

I assume that last bit about whining was also a dig at me. I hope you feel better. With that, I am done with the back and forth with you as it is completely unproductive. Please feel free to have the last word and say whatever you like about me now or in the future here. I wish you peace, and I mean that.

ETA - sorry I quoted you before you added more insults!

Old 11-28-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Don't worry! There is no way on earth you could hurt my feelings. I have dealt with far worse than random people on the internet being nasty.

And I assume that last bit about whining was also a dig at me. I hope you feel better. With that, I am done with the back and forth with you as it is completely unproductive. Please feel free to have the last word and say whatever you like about me now or in the future here. I wish you peace. And I mean that.
I don't feel bad, but thanks.

I wish you peace as well with covid and I hope you're able to figure out how to deal with the it. Its not that hard for most people who aren't front line workers, fortunately.

Last edited by Royal James; 11-28-2020 at 06:59 PM..

Old 11-28-2020, 07:44 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Is there any data out there on re-infections? Do we know yet if people have gotten the virus twice, and if so how common is it? I’m talking actual data that shows legitimate symptomatic and contagious sickness, not people who claim to have tested positive twice, as we really have no way of understanding the level of virus they had.

At the beginning of all this, I believe it was Fauci who said that antibody testing would be key to ending this virus. Antibody tests came out and apparently were just “eh†and we sort of never hear about them anymore. Why is that and why can’t we develop a good antibody test if we can develop a vaccine in 8 months that creates those same antibodies?

Now if I had the virus and knew I couldn’t get it again, or knew that it was unlikely that I’d get it again, I certainly wouldn’t be running out to get a vaccine right away. How is it that we don’t have more info on this by now, given that it’s been almost a year now? If I can’t get re-infected in a year, maybe I want to give the vaccine a year before running out and getting it?

Old 11-29-2020, 05:54 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
I know one person who tested positive who also tested positive for antibodies. His symptoms were a mild cough and fatigue and on day three returned to normal. He said if he really had coronavirus previously he doesn't know when and really believes the tests aren't accurate. The only reason he tested was a co-worker had mild symptoms and tested positive and since they rode in the same car for a work-related function he was required to test. To add insult to injury he's in the medical field and was a huge supporter of mask. He said all four people in the car were wearing mask and all were very aware of their safety. Now he's just like we're wasting time and need to just let it run its course.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:59 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I know one person who tested positive who also tested positive for antibodies. His symptoms were a mild cough and fatigue and on day three returned to normal. He said if he really had coronavirus previously he doesn't know when and really believes the tests aren't accurate. The only reason he tested was a co-worker had mild symptoms and tested positive and since they rode in the same car for a work-related function he was required to test. To add insult to injury he's in the medical field and was a huge supporter of mask. He said all four people in the car were wearing mask and all were very aware of their safety. Now he's just like we're wasting time and need to just let it run its course.
So he got it within 14 days of that car ride, then?

Does he live alone?

Old 11-29-2020, 06:09 AM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
I am a bit excited with the development of a new type of vaccines, which likely will have applications for many other viruses in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary