Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,095,064 times

Advertisements

I had an interview in NYC last July (the follow up to the one in Durham last June) and the cab from Penn Station to the office (near the theater district) took so darn long, I walked back to Penn Station. My husband, NOT a big city person by any means, was APPALLED that I had done something SO dangerous! Well, not only is walking down Broadway at 5PM not dangerous, you can barely move for the crush of people!

I felt perfectly safe in Durham when I was there too, though I only actually walked around in the downtown/Brightleaf Sq area and the Duke campus and surroundings, so perhaps I missed the really bad parts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,196,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
FWIW, you're not alone. The Census data I've seen suggests that northeastern urbanites -- residents in Middlesex/Suffolk Co. MA, Manhattan/Brooklyn NY, Cook IL, etc. -- pick Durham disproportionately over Raleigh. Suburban county residents (and I'd include Worcester in that) tend to be more comfortable in Wake County.

That's a broad and overly-sweeping generalization, but I think there's some value to it. My wife and I moved to the Triangle from Cambridge, Mass. and after looking at Apex, Cary and the like, we felt just as uncomfortable there as you must have felt in Durham. We want to be in a walkable, urban place -- that was Durham for us, not any of the Wake County suburbs.

We Durhamites do get snippy about assumptions about being carjacked. Then again, I used to walk in Cambridge and Boston at all times of day and night, and never worried about that, but had friends who lived in Worcester and southern NH who were scared to come into Boston anytime, day or night.

(I can say from first-hand experience, though, that Durham is as safe or safer than any other city I've been in -- though you have to have a city-wise approach just as you would in a place like Boston or Phila.)
That's interesting--we're from the far-northern Boston exurbs, and wanted to live in Boston or Cambridge, but couldn't afford it. We now live in Durham and love it.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:27 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,852,093 times
Quote:
I felt perfectly safe in Durham when I was there too, though I only actually walked around in the downtown/Brightleaf Sq area and the Duke campus and surroundings, so perhaps I missed the really bad parts?
Yes, you did. All of that is the Western side of town, while the "bad parts" are Southeast of the downtown loop, kind of in the direction of the downtown public library. There are bad areas in other places too, but the "South Bronx" of Durham would be kind of the 4:00-5:00 part of the map radiating from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary