Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 01:23 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,839 times

Advertisements

This is the title of an article in the Sunday Journal section of today's News & Observer paper. It suggests that the Triangle is close to becoming the new Los Angeles, and goes on to give some comparisons.

It's a bit over the top, but does provide food for thought for anyone out there thinking the Triangle is an undiscovered paradise. It may be some comfort to remember that N.C. is a large state, mostly still rural, so there are plenty of great areas outside of the Triangle... for those who can survive without a mall or Target nearby.

This story can be read online at www.newsobserver.com/sundayjournal (broken link).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 01:25 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,722 times
That is interesting. I think Charlotte would be more like LA than Raleigh, but that is just my opinion. We moved to Charlotte from LA over a year ago.

Dawn

Old 03-11-2007, 01:26 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
I wouldn't go as far as to say the triangle is the next LA.....but the next Phoenix/ Jersey Shore/ Long Island/ South Florida.....absolutely.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:42 PM

842 posts, read 3,230,570 times
I gotta say that in all my time I've been here, I don't think it's ever ONCE crossed my mind that Raleigh is becoming the next L.A. Maybe the next Austin, but L.A.? I get the impression that the reporter who wrote this story has never been to L.A. Raleigh and L.A. are nothing like each other. Where's the smog that you can't see through? Where are the towering brown mountains in the background. Where's the crumbling infrastructure? And some of the comparisons seem odd. L.A. had O.J. Simpson, one of the worlds most famous people, kill his wife. We had some unknown person also kill his wife. Wow....what a coincidence!

And then the article ends with essentially "here a bunch of other things that has happened in Raleigh that I can't quite shoehorn into an L.A. comparison, but they're sorta kinda tabloidish feeling, and tabloids are sorta an L.A. thing."

WORST STORY EVER!!!!

Old 03-11-2007, 01:50 PM

607 posts, read 2,432,106 times
Raleigh is like L.A.!!! Hold on, I have to pick myself up off the floor I can't stop laughing.........

That is comparing... Anna Nicole Smith to Sister Theresa.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:53 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
*Mother Theresa.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:56 PM

607 posts, read 2,432,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
*Mother Theresa.
Wow, egg on my face....

Old 03-11-2007, 05:31 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Raleigh is like L.A.!!! Hold on, I have to pick myself up off the floor I can't stop laughing.........
My thoughts exactly..... We don;t even have the downtown convention center built yet but we have magically gone from a Teir III to a Teir I city? Yeah right! I love Raleigh, but if Raleigh is the next LA then I am the next Brad Pitt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to say the triangle is the next LA.....but the next Phoenix/ Jersey Shore/ Long Island/ South Florida.....absolutely.
I am curious what you find similar between Raleigh and the Jersey Shore. I am from the Jersey shore and I don't see any similarites unless you are figuring on global warming causing Raleigh to become ocean front property one day or perhaps Bruce Springstein decides to move here!

Old 03-11-2007, 06:41 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,726,772 times
Dude, I think that lady whom wrote the article was being funny. Raliegh has traffic, but it ain't nothing like Phoenix, LA or any city in Florida. You just don't have the massive number of highways that those cities have. Ok, then the writer of the article wants to compare getting onton I-40 and going to beach to getting on the Santa Monica Freeway and going to the beach. No comparison. The beach is like 1.5 hours from Raliegh/Durham. It's much less than that from most place in LA metro. Where did that comparison even come from? What's next, someone in Greensborough is going to say that it's like LA b/c they sit in traffic on I-40 trying to get to a beach that is two freakin hours away! Too funny! Raliegh, Durham nor Charlotte 'feels' like Phoenix, LA or FLA. First, you need lots and lots of very tall palm trees lining streets downtown, at the airport, every freakin shopping mall that you go to, along the streets and in your neighbor's yard.

No place in NC, I don't care if it's Raliegh or Charlotte is anything like LA, Phoenix or Florida to be certain. Just b/c Raleigh and CHarlotte are growing doesn't mean they're anything like those cities. I have lived in Phoenix and Florida and I know and have friends and family in LA and San Diego. Um, this place is far from being like Phoenix, LA or any city in Florida. I can fire off a long list.

I can go on and on about how different the guys dress here, how the women are more reserved and not as aggressive and how different they are in the looks department, how in the places mentioned above, it can be all about if you're wearing the latest 150 dollar Ray Bans or some 15 dollar generic sunglasses, if you're sporting the new Treo 750, Blackberry, TMob Sidekick, who you know that can get you VIP access to a hot club, a large segment of your population that is addicted to working out at the gym (I must tell you Raliegh, from the looks of it, um there aren't many of you, but I digress), being seen and I can go on and on but you get the picture.

The way people act, move and interact with each other here is much different than those places. People in NC have stronger family values. Here it's not so much about trying to live the rock star lifestyle. Here I see observe a good number of people that are in relationships and even the younger folks around here are coupled up. Not saying that you don't see younger folks in relationships in those other places or that people aren't in relationships.

Bottom line is that the article had to be a joke of some sort. And no, more people moving from So Cal will not make you any more like LA. I'm moved here from Phoenix and if I could make this place like Phoenix I would, but I can't. There is something intrinsic to the area and NC that attracts people and it's not b/c it's like LA or PHX or FLA. Probably b/c it's the opposite and for the majority that is a good thing.

Last edited by he's so hott; 03-11-2007 at 06:50 PM..

Old 03-11-2007, 09:03 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,760,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post

That is comparing... Anna Nicole Smith to Sister Theresa.
Lizardlips, your cute comparison has me rolling on the floor!!! (I got that you meant Mother Theresa.)

I wouldn't even put Raleigh and L.A. in the same hemisphere of comparison much less same state. LOL!!!! Oh, my sides hurt from laughing so hard!!!!

Someone who lives in Raleigh please write a letter to the editor and find out if the writer has actually ever visited LA... like since 1940. LOL!!! Still laughing!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary