Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:41 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times

Advertisements

I have to laugh that Holly Springs is "further out" from Cary yet it borders Cary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 05:51 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull136 View Post
All this talk about holly springs and apex what are your thoughts on clayton what you can get for the money there is nuts?
I drove from Durham to Smithfield via Clayton this afternoon. Even the portion from S. Raleigh near S. Saunders St. to the business district on US 70 in Clayton felt crazy long -- about 20+ minutes with traffic on US 70. Dense, dense traffic between the Super Sprawlmart and the pharma plants on the east/southern side of the city. On the way back, it was 25 minutes from Clayton to Crabtree Valley Mall.

If you're working in Raleigh, maybe doable. But I cannot for the life of me imagine trying to commute from Clayton to the RTP/RDU area daily.

Clayton also feels much, much more rural to me -- very 'country' relative to the rest of the Triangle. Which may be what some folks are looking for, of course. Smithfield/Selma feel *very* country... down to the Stars and Bars on the back of autos going by.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:23 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,813 times
Below is the link to the map of the landfill. It will go up in probably 5 years from what I have researched. It will be located in the area where the bright green is

http://www.hollyspringsnc.us/dept/planning/devactmap.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-29-2007, 07:27 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull136 View Post
you are correct we have a land fill across the bridge from trenton NJ in PA and you can smell that place in the summer for miles and it stinks I have freinds that though they where getting a good deal larger lot, bigger house than when that thing opened forget it ,they could not even try to sell there house in the summer because of the smell and people found out and they got less than they paid. The houses every where else where up over 20 % in the areas further away. I dont think they should take that risk and i have noticed alot of homes in HS for sale . I wonder why? I ft5hat thing stinks like all the ones in the north east every one who bought within a couple of miles from it are going to be very upset they have to move again and who knows what it will do to prices. You have other options I would and am avoiding HS. Better safe than sorry.
I know exactly what landfill you are speaking of. We smell it everytime we go up the NJ turnpike in the summertime. We go to Jackson, NJ to visit family and the smell is AWEFUL. I would not chance living or buying a home in Holly Springs...especially it being much warmer for longer periods of time...could you imagine?

Old 04-30-2007, 07:08 PM

237 posts, read 915,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
I know exactly what landfill you are speaking of. We smell it everytime we go up the NJ turnpike in the summertime. We go to Jackson, NJ to visit family and the smell is AWEFUL. I would not chance living or buying a home in Holly Springs...especially it being much warmer for longer periods of time...could you imagine?
Thank you for agreeing with me talking to some of these people is like talking to a wall . I am just trying to help them most of them have never experienced a land fill in the summer and if they are making there move based on what they have read or researced they are buying blind.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:16 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default less than 5 years

It will be done (it is already being built) by sometime next year. I lived near one once and it you are closer than 2 miles it stinks!

I would give my self a 4-5 mile buffer from a landfill. There are only a few that are really close to it right now. There are many subs in HS that are not that close to it, just need to check it out.

What is crazy is how many of the people selling homes that are very close to it are not disclosing it. I also dont think that new home builders need to disclose it but I may be wrong

There are parts of Apex that will be closer to it than some parts of HS.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:44 AM

19 posts, read 63,446 times
it's called due diligence. Sellers/builders don't have to disclose that information and it's assumed you as a buyer will perform due diligence in researching your purchase. I am personally not a big fan of realtors, but any realtor worth a grain of salt will know about this and point it out early. Also a good reason to live somewhere and rent for at least 6 months before buying!!!

Old 07-25-2007, 05:35 AM

85 posts, read 334,244 times
Interesting, about the realtor part above; Imentioned it to my realtor when she showed us somehouses in hollyglen, and she was like "oh they owner would disclose anything like that". I had mentioned that it wasnt actually on the property, not sure why they would be responsible. She changed the subject and didnt mentione it. I am assuming as a longtime resident of cary she is aware of the landfil, not sure why the hesitation to talk about it

Old 01-06-2008, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 7,238 times
Does apex, hs of cary have any private schools?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:48 PM

90 posts, read 296,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuinc View Post
Does apex, hs of cary have any private schools?
Cary has Cary Academy, several Christian private schools, and St. Michael's (Catholic) has a great school that goes to 8th grade, I think. Cary also has a private school geared towards kids with autism that is very well known. There are others - Cary has several options. Apex has one Montessori school.
Holly Springs has two Montessori schools, one of which seems fantastic (the other I know nothing about - may be just as good.)

Here's a good link.
Wake County Private Schools - North Carolina/NC - Private School Review

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary