Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Your comments may prove to be so very much right on target. You may be seeing frustration emerging from some of the new board members as they realize what they have gotten into and that it wasn't the simple job they thought. It is possible some are in over their head.
I agree, I do think some are in over there heads.

I think Ron Margiotti sees the writing on the wall. His persona has changed, he looks defeated, as though he is worn down by it. He comes across as a good man trying to do what he believes is the right thing, whether it is or not, we all have opinions on it. I would think he might be trying to build consensus now.

But Tedesco, I've done a total turn-around on him, I was waiting to figure him out, give him time. Now he is letting his arrogance show. Unfortunately he'll learn a lesson in humility on our dime, our time. I really have concerns about his motives...I think they've changed, or maybe he's more confident and transparent now. And, I don't think he's equipped for the job, sadly he doesn't realize this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:35 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
a new board that champion policies that are nothing more than a thinly veiled attempts to created segregated schools can wear on you after a while.

I wish him well.
As somebody who is involved with the parent group that helped elect the new members, I can say this is not true. People on all sides of this issue really need to stop throwing barbs like this.

I agree with other posters who said that it isn't the fact that we have a diversity policy that upsets parents, it is how the previous board & WCPSS admins have implemented it.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
I agree with other posters who said that it isn't the fact that we have a diversity policy that upsets parents, it is how the previous board & WCPSS admins have implemented it.
The problem is, I don't think I've heard the new Board majority say anything about how they would implement a diversity policy, only how they would get rid of one.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Just a to pour a little gasoline on the fire:

Alexandr Solzhenitsyn,The Gulag Archipelago:
Quote:
To do evil a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good . . . Ideology—that is what gives evildoing its long-sought justification and gives the evildoer the necessary steadfastness and determination. That is the social theory which helps to make his acts seem good instead of bad in his own and others’ eyes, so that he won’t hear reproaches and curses but will receive praise and honors.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I'd warn some of you to be careful what you wish for. A lot of this went on the past 20 years in the New Hanover County Schools down on the coast of NC. The schools got what they thought they wanted -- progressive ideas from outsiders that set the schools back what felt like 50 years. Superintendents since have been trying to get NHCS back on-track, and few have been happy about it -- not the parents, the teachers, or the students.
Yeah, I was shocked when we moved back to NC a couple of years ago and found out that many Pender County Schools were thought of in higher regard than NHCS. That was not the case when I grew in ENC (back when the dinosaurs walked the earth. )

Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post

A few years ago some residents of Wake County poked fun at Durham for similar disharmony on their school board. They were the butt of jokes for a long time. Now they are doing well, and we have the dysfunctional board.

I know there is this weird rivalry between Wake & Durham, but as a Durham resident I find the current WCPSS very sad and troubling. Strong schools are a corner stone of the viability of The Triangle. I do not want to see any school district in this area crumble or even stumble. I don't know what the answers are, but I sure hope for the best for the students and families of WCPSS and Wake County residents.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Just a to pour a little gasoline on the fire:

Alexandr Solzhenitsyn,The Gulag Archipelago:
Interesting quote. Can be turned around onto the 'status-quo' leaders just as easily as it can on the new board members.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
The problem is, I don't think I've heard the new Board majority say anything about how they would implement a diversity policy, only how they would get rid of one.
I agree with CH. Have I missed them talking about this?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 PM

544 posts, read 852,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
People on all sides of this issue really need to stop throwing barbs like this.
My comments are not directed at raleighjayne, but I use the comment to raise a point.

Many of the people who were upset with the old board resorted to childish name-calling, threatening language and deliberate distortions in their attacks. Those same people evidently have pretty thin skin as they now cry foul at other people now attacking the new board.

Funny how they felt it's OK to attack the old board, but not the new board.

Anyone who doesn't realize that a purely neighborhood school model will create huge racial imbalances (ex: SE Raleigh) and schools with near 90% F/R students (ex: several areas of the county) is ignoring the realities of Wake County's demographics.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
I think the new board majority may be delighted that this guy quit and they didn't have to fire him. Remember the lawyer the board hired (outside normal process) as their first act - a guy whose specialty is labor law (i.e., helping companies fire employees without liability). I don't think that was just a coincidence.
I suspect that was there thinking at first but trying to do the reorganization of the student attendance zones etc can be a daunting challenge and their skilled people are now gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary