Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:52 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

The money he's paid can't compensate this great educator for the crap he must endure as Superintedent.

Hope another system is lucky enough to get him on staff.
seconded!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
"Wacky Wednesdays" were a terrible idea...
Speaking as a teacher, those Wednesdays are producing wonderful things for our students. There is time for meaningful work to create a better classroom experience for students. Experience meets technology meets creativity meets collaboration. It has been invigorating.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:47 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Wow oh wow the Wake County role as a premier school system commanding top dollar for housing resales continues.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Wow oh wow the Wake County role as a premier school system commanding top dollar for housing resales continues.
I thought that was Chapel Hill?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Until 5 minutes ago I was on the fence about the new board leadership and thought that Tedesco's youthful energy/ideas might be what we needed on the board. I was watchfully waiting to see what happens, giving them the opportunity to show us what they can do. I had concerns, but was willing to see what further actions they proposed so that all students are treated fairly and equally.

What I just heard from John Tedesco when WRAL asked him about the super. leaving, turned my stomach! It was clear he was being sarcastic when he said (I'm paraphrasing) that he understood Burns not wanting to go thru the changes as he'd been doing things the same way for 33 yrs. Burns was a teacher and a principal, not a policy maker, or in mgmt at wcpps admininstration until the recent yrs. He said more, and his choice of words and passive-aggressive delivery convinced me I don't want him representing me!

What happened to professionalism, decorum, respect for colleagues? he was clearly pleased Dr Burns was leaving; why couldn't he have been a gentleman and said something nice about him, wishing him well, thanking him for decades of service?

I think the direction the board is going in, none of them are prepared for. And they are pushing staff too quickly. As a young mgr many yrs ago, I quickly learned that you don't do that to people. You must have inclusion and consider the ramifications of making too many changes too quickly.

A few years ago some residents of Wake County poked fun at Durham for similar disharmony on their school board. They were the butt of jokes for a long time. Now they are doing well, and we have the dysfunctional board.

I think the least the board can do to support our teachers is to let them keep their Wednesday planning time...they'll need it to figure out how to survive the wcpss!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:42 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Until 5 minutes ago I was on the fence about the new board leadership and thought that Tedesco's youthful energy/ideas might be what we needed on the board. I was watchfully waiting to see what happens, giving them the opportunity to show us what they can do. I had concerns, but was willing to see what further actions they proposed so that all students are treated fairly and equally.

What I just heard from John Tedesco when WRAL asked him about the super. leaving, turned my stomach! It was clear he was being sarcastic when he said (I'm paraphrasing) that he understood Burns not wanting to go thru the changes as he'd been doing things the same way for 33 yrs. Burns was a teacher and a principal, not a policy maker, or in mgmt at wcpps admininstration until the recent yrs. He said more, and his choice of words and passive-aggressive delivery convinced me I don't want him representing me!

What happened to professionalism, decorum, respect for colleagues? he was clearly pleased Dr Burns was leaving; why couldn't he have been a gentleman and said something nice about him, wishing him well, thanking him for decades of service?

I think the direction the board is going in, none of them are prepared for. And they are pushing staff too quickly. As a young mgr many yrs ago, I quickly learned that you don't do that to people. You must have inclusion and consider the ramifications of making too many changes too quickly.

A few years ago some residents of Wake County poked fun at Durham for similar disharmony on their school board. They were the butt of jokes for a long time. Now they are doing well, and we have the dysfunctional board.

I think the least the board can do to support our teachers is to let them keep their Wednesday planning time...they'll need it to figure out how to survive the wcpss!
Your comments may prove to be so very much right on target. You may be seeing frustration emerging from some of the new board members as they realize what they have gotten into and that it wasn't the simple job they thought. It is possible some are in over their head.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
I think they should replace the whole board with fresh,creative,young TEACHERS just a few years out of school,and put out to pasture the good ole boys that are entrenched everywhere down here.Progressive new fresh ideas.It's time for Boss hog's to retire.
Samdan, the school system needs both: the progressive ideas that come with the young, new, fresh teachers coupled with the wisdom and experience of the others. Put out to pasture, the dead wood, buying time until retirement.

I'd warn some of you to be careful what you wish for. A lot of this went on the past 20 years in the New Hanover County Schools down on the coast of NC. The schools got what they thought they wanted -- progressive ideas from outsiders that set the schools back what felt like 50 years. Superintendents since have been trying to get NHCS back on-track, and few have been happy about it -- not the parents, the teachers, or the students.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:17 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Your comments may prove to be so very much right on target. You may be seeing frustration emerging from some of the new board members as they realize what they have gotten into and that it wasn't the simple job they thought. It is possible some are in over their head.
I believe you hit the nail on the head! If only it were as simple as saying..."we all send our kids to the nearest school now". It isn't!

Didn't this happen in Charlotte a few years ago and it wasn't a pretty picture!

I sure hope all those people that complained and whined are going to be satisfied with how this all ends up but I'm doubtful!

Vicki

Old 02-18-2010, 07:23 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,012 times
When you really boil it down,none of this has to do with the kids.Just parents.All the complications caused by parents imposing their will.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
You may be seeing frustration emerging from some of the new board members as they realize what they have gotten into and that it wasn't the simple job they thought.
I think the new board majority may be delighted that this guy quit and they didn't have to fire him. Remember the lawyer the board hired (outside normal process) as their first act - a guy whose specialty is labor law (i.e., helping companies fire employees without liability). I don't think that was just a coincidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary