Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 02:16 PM

173 posts, read 218,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'm curious. How does you inspector know what's underneath the flooring in the basement? Doe he/she have x-ray vision? If so, I'd love to get their contact information.
He identified part of the old floor (asbestos) sticking out in one of the closets. The official language in the report was "....if the tiles run throughout the basement flooring...." He told us if that part was sticking out then it's most likely there, but covered. However, if we want to renovate then it's best to remove. So, to your point, it would have to be confirmed that it is running throughout—but odds are in favor of that being the case. But X-ray vision would certainly make this much easier!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 02:22 PM

503 posts, read 1,454,755 times
How much does it generally cost to remove?

Old 04-13-2018, 02:35 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
It's best to remove. Not a deal breaker

Old 04-13-2018, 04:13 PM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Oh for crying out loud.

Are you planning to grind the asbestos-containing tiles into dust, fling it into the air, and then breathe the clouds of asbestos dust on an ongoing basis, while simultaneously smoking?

If not, then it will not harm you.

There may also be lead based paint under the multiple coats of non-lead-based paint. The solution there is not to peel the paint off the walls and eat it.
THIS^^^^^^ A THOUSAND TIMES OVER.

Do not disturb it. Or eat it. You will be fine.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:05 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
I managed Asbestos Remediation projects nationwide for a Fortune 10 Company with lots of old facilities.

If the tiles are 9-inches by 9-inches square, then there is a 95%+ likelihood they are VAT (vinyl asbestos tiles) rather than VCT (vinyl composition tiles). The floor tile industry pretty much changed to 12-inch square tiles when they stopped using asbestos.

BTW - Contrary to popular opinion and lore, it is STILL LEGAL to use asbestos. It was never outlawed! I also have never inspected a building that did not contain asbestos, even buildings less than 10 years old that were certified as being "Asbestos Free". We found asbestos in the rubbery sound deadening coating applied to the bottom of a stainless steel sink in a medical area. (only a little irony there)

Do not drill it.

Do not grind it.

Do not cut it.

Do not disturb it.

Do not go to Home Depot for a re-carpet proposal as they are famous for requiring customers to spend $3500 removing the asbestos tiles so H-D can install their $3500 of carpet where the tiles used to be.

Truthfully, your family will/may be at greater risk of exposure by removing the tiles than by just leaving them alone.

Do not put a permanent floor on top of the tiles. Carpet is fine, but no hardwood or laminate that will obscure its presence to future buyers.

Use latex floor patch, sold in one quart cans at Big Box stores, to fill any broken out areas to prevent adjacent tiles from breaking.

Stop worrying about it.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 04-13-2018 at 07:16 PM..

Old 04-13-2018, 08:08 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT356 View Post
He identified part of the old floor (asbestos) sticking out in one of the closets. The official language in the report was "....if the tiles run throughout the basement flooring...." He told us if that part was sticking out then it's most likely there, but covered. However, if we want to renovate then it's best to remove. So, to your point, it would have to be confirmed that it is running throughout—but odds are in favor of that being the case. But X-ray vision would certainly make this much easier!
I was being a bit sarcastic, but I did want to know how he decided what was under the floor. I'm glad to hear he didn't say definitively that he knew what was under the floor.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:31 PM

173 posts, read 218,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I managed Asbestos Remediation projects nationwide for a Fortune 10 Company with lots of old facilities.

If the tiles are 9-inches by 9-inches square, then there is a 95%+ likelihood they are VAT (vinyl asbestos tiles) rather than VCT (vinyl composition tiles). The floor tile industry pretty much changed to 12-inch square tiles when they stopped using asbestos.

BTW - Contrary to popular opinion and lore, it is STILL LEGAL to use asbestos. It was never outlawed! I also have never inspected a building that did not contain asbestos, even buildings less than 10 years old that were certified as being "Asbestos Free". We found asbestos in the rubbery sound deadening coating applied to the bottom of a stainless steel sink in a medical area. (only a little irony there)

Do not drill it.

Do not grind it.

Do not cut it.

Do not disturb it.

Do not go to Home Depot for a re-carpet proposal as they are famous for requiring customers to spend $3500 removing the asbestos tiles so H-D can install their $3500 of carpet where the tiles used to be.

Truthfully, your family will/may be at greater risk of exposure by removing the tiles than by just leaving them alone.

Do not put a permanent floor on top of the tiles. Carpet is fine, but no hardwood or laminate that will obscure its presence to future buyers.

Use latex floor patch, sold in one quart cans at Big Box stores, to fill any broken out areas to prevent adjacent tiles from breaking.

Stop worrying about it.
Thanks so much for the information. In our case, we do want to put down laminate floors. The inspector advised us to remove it if we put down new floors or renovate any other areas of the basement that might be adjacent to the tiles, which we planned to do if we purchased the home.

You always hear it's better to cover them and leave them alone, but how much of a risk exists if we have professionals come in and remove the tiles?

And what do these companies typically charge to remove asbestos tiles from an approximately 600 square-foot area?

Old 04-13-2018, 09:11 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the information. In our case, we do want to put down laminate floors. The inspector advised us to remove it if we put down new floors or renovate any other areas of the basement that might be adjacent to the tiles, which we planned to do if we purchased the home.

You always hear it's better to cover them and leave them alone, but how much of a risk exists if we have professionals come in and remove the tiles?

And what do these companies typically charge to remove asbestos tiles from an approximately 600 square-foot area?
I have purchased homes with asbestos glue backed tiles in them. I always get it tested to confirm, but I was 99% sure just looking at it that it was. It has a distinctive look. Since I renovate old homes, I remove the asbestos. So I just did an old house that had it and it was $1700 to remove an 8x15 section and that was a middle of the road quote. I won't hire the cheap contractor in my area as they have gotten too many fines.

So that would put your removal at $8900 if your rates are the same as mine out here. That said, we have a serious contractor shortage in my area so rates have easily gone up 30% in the past couple of years for things. If you don't have a contractor shortage in your area, it might not cost that much.

I know on our disclosure forms we need to state if we ever tested a property for asbestos then clarify. So I would state yes, and that I had it removed. I'm keeping the receipt for whoever buys that home when I go to sell it. At least in my area, having the asbestos abatement done helps the value of these old homes.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:28 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,706 times
What some of the other guys said. Carpet or floor over it. Don't break, grind or nail into it and you'll likely be fine. Do any disclosures as required by your area's laws/building codes.

If you're really really overly concerned but don't want to undergo a full removal then you can paint over the tiles with plastic resin (like you'd finish a wooden boat with) or outdoor latex paint before laying the new flooring to seal it. My dad did the latter when he bought my 1950s-era childhood house in the late 80s, which had asbestos tile in the TV room and basement!

Old 04-14-2018, 06:33 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Quote:
My only abatement cost experience for a residential basement was for my son's home. Like my impression of you, he is young, first time owning an older home, and super conscientious about health and environmental issues.

After talking to me, talking to an abatement contractor I used for my work, after talking to the H-D Floor Covering people, he realized the cost of abatement would equal the cost of the high grade carpet and pad he was purchasing.

He finally took the advice of the abatement contractor, which was to leave it alone and place the carpet over it.

Assuming you do decide to just cover over the tiles with carpeting, talk to the carpet installer to learn what their safety plan will be. You do not want some Yahoo to just nail the tack strips to the concrete floor, through the tiles, without any precautions!

Appropriate precautions can be as simple as ringing the room(s) with a strip of Duct Tape where the tack strips will go. The super sticky adhesive on the duct tape will trap any displaced fibers caused by nailing the tack strips, and prevent them from becoming air borne. Simple. Low cost. Effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate