Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 10:57 AM

173 posts, read 218,648 times

Advertisements

We found a nice '60s era home but during the home inspection it was discovered that there was asbestos tile under the basement flooring. The basement is finished (but very dated) so it's a space that we would use on daily basis. The inspector said that it should be removed if we plan on renovating the basement.

My question is: would asbestos tile be a deal-breaker for you or is this fairly common given the era that the house was built—and something people just deal with and move on?

We have no problem walking away from any deal, so this is really just a matter of will we feel safe in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 11:08 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Oh for crying out loud.

Are you planning to grind the asbestos-containing tiles into dust, fling it into the air, and then breathe the clouds of asbestos dust on an ongoing basis, while simultaneously smoking?

If not, then it will not harm you.

There may also be lead based paint under the multiple coats of non-lead-based paint. The solution there is not to peel the paint off the walls and eat it.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:13 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
No it would not be a deal breaker for me. As long as you don't have to cut into it you should be fine, but if you ever want to replace the flooring then you may need to pay a company to have it removed professionally and disposed of in the same way. If you do buy you will need to let any other buyer in future know too. Also if it's under the flooring you may be able to lay another new flooring on top of it, I would guess, as long as you let them know what's under there in case they need to nail anything down.

A lot of people have those asbestos tile siding and it's fine as long as you don't cut into it or remove it.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Now you will have to disclose that when you sell, if you buy it. As others said, it's very normal to just do a new floor over it and leave it undisturbed, but some potential buyers may shy away just hearing the word "asbestos."

Old 04-13-2018, 11:17 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Oh for crying out loud.

Are you planning to grind the asbestos-containing tiles into dust, fling it into the air, and then breathe the clouds of asbestos dust on an ongoing basis, while simultaneously smoking?

If not, then it will not harm you.

There may also be lead based paint under the multiple coats of non-lead-based paint. The solution there is not to peel the paint off the walls and eat it.

LMAO!

People get so worked up over things that amount to Nothing.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
No it would not be a deal breaker for me. As long as you don't have to cut into it you should be fine, but if you ever want to replace the flooring then you may need to pay a company to have it removed professionally and disposed of in the same way. If you do buy you will need to let any other buyer in future know too. Also if it's under the flooring you may be able to lay another new flooring on top of it, I would guess, as long as you let them know what's under there in case they need to nail anything down.

A lot of people have those asbestos tile siding and it's fine as long as you don't cut into it or remove it.
The inspector said he thought it should be removed if we remodel the area, which makes sense since there's a good chance someone would drill or nail into it. We would, of course, have the pros handle the removal.

If you have it professionally removed, do you need to disclose that it was ever there or does the professional removal negate having to disclose anything at a later date?

Old 04-13-2018, 11:20 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
Have you bothered to look at any of the legitimate sources on when asbestos is dangerous? Millions of us grew up in homes from the 1960's and earlier that contained asbestos tiles. Heck, all the bedrooms in my childhood home had what was probably asbestos tile. Asbestos is dangerous when it's friable. Tiles covered by carpet is probably not damaged.

I'm curious--did the inspector actually send away a sample of the tile? The ONLY tell if it's actually asbestos is to send it out for testing. He can make an educated guess and that's it.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Now you will have to disclose that when you sell, if you buy it. As others said, it's very normal to just do a new floor over it and leave it undisturbed, but some potential buyers may shy away just hearing the word "asbestos."
That's another reason we would want to have it removed all together.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:22 AM

17,305 posts, read 12,233,399 times
If it's effectively encased with newer flooring on top it wouldn't bother me much. But having to disclose it is there when you go to sell when the seller did not disclose that to you would ruffle my feathers a bit, which could turn into a post inspection negotiation point.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Have you bothered to look at any of the legitimate sources on when asbestos is dangerous? Millions of us grew up in homes from the 1960's and earlier that contained asbestos tiles. Heck, all the bedrooms in my childhood home had what was probably asbestos tile. Asbestos is dangerous when it's friable. Tiles covered by carpet is probably not damaged.

I'm curious--did the inspector actually send away a sample of the tile? The ONLY tell if it's actually asbestos is to send it out for testing. He can make an educated guess and that's it.
He only said "that's asbestos tile" -- no test. I'd love for him to be wrong.

I get what you all are saying about it being in everything from that era. I'm just a first-time buyer with very young children and trying to gather as much info as I can before purchasing a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate