U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-18-2012, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Michigan
859 posts, read 1,901,657 times
Reputation: 458

Advertisements

I hear ya ,,,,,, I am canning a lot more then last year on sauces and fruit and stuff period for some reason I feel the NEED to double / tripple batches this year!

Why no Garden>>>>>>????????? !!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
18,270 posts, read 20,588,860 times
Reputation: 41060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
I hear ya ,,,,,, I am canning a lot more then last year on sauces and fruit and stuff period for some reason I feel the NEED to double / tripple batches this year!

Why no Garden>>>>>>????????? !!!!!!!!!!!
Sold my family farm downsizing as my DD will be going away to college next fall. I had hoped to be moved in time to plant one at the new place but the closing drug on for m=o=n=t=h=s. You wouldn't believe what the bank put the buyers through then to find out at closing this is standard now in the housing market. Due to 911 & bank bailouts I was told, crazy how they want to know and you show proof of where all your money came from. Too much govenment in private business. I'm stepping down now.

This why it is even more important we continue to be able to supply our own food needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Michigan
859 posts, read 1,901,657 times
Reputation: 458
yup I hear ya !!!!!!

wish u was closer I would share with you

I always had my Garden.......and always been a believer in STOCKING Food ( not hoarding as my hubby puts it lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,517 posts, read 26,369,809 times
Reputation: 88539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Sold my family farm downsizing as my DD will be going away to college next fall. I had hoped to be moved in time to plant one at the new place but the closing drug on for m=o=n=t=h=s. You wouldn't believe what the bank put the buyers through then to find out at closing this is standard now in the housing market. Due to 911 & bank bailouts I was told, crazy how they want to know and you show proof of where all your money came from. Too much govenment in private business. I'm stepping down now.

This why it is even more important we continue to be able to supply our own food needs.
That's what hubby and I do. Take care of ourselves because that's who we can rely on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
yup I hear ya !!!!!!

wish u was closer I would share with you

I always had my Garden.......and always been a believer in STOCKING Food ( not hoarding as my hubby puts it lol)
I call it stocking also. My hubby calls me a hoarder....but only when to comes to food and paper goods, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2012, 05:20 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Reputation: 41745
younglisa,

I made my pineapple/mango salsa yesterday, I did use 2 pineapples and 3 large roma tomatoes (not peeled but pretty much seeded) It made 6 1/2 pints. I got my pineapples, btw, on sale at Aldis for a buck each and the mangos for 49 cents each, so it isn't expensive to make considering. If you were to pay full price for the pineapples, that would be another store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2012, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,517 posts, read 26,369,809 times
Reputation: 88539
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
younglisa,

I made my pineapple/mango salsa yesterday, I did use 2 pineapples and 3 large roma tomatoes (not peeled but pretty much seeded) It made 6 1/2 pints. I got my pineapples, btw, on sale at Aldis for a buck each and the mangos for 49 cents each, so it isn't expensive to make considering. If you were to pay full price for the pineapples, that would be another store.
Thanks!!

Wow...those are great prices.



I've been up canning this morning.

I already made 8 pints of yellow squash relish.

On the stove I have 8 half pints of zucchini relish.

Later I will be making a batch of blackberry jam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 05:29 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Reputation: 41745
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thanks!!

Wow...those are great prices.



I've been up canning this morning.

I already made 8 pints of yellow squash relish.

On the stove I have 8 half pints of zucchini relish.

Later I will be making a batch of blackberry jam.
stay busy but cool if possible. I think I am doing my 7 fruit marmalade this morning, after breakfast. I will only do about 5 or 6 pints...After that, unless we get a lot more tomatoes or a good deal on them, I will be about through for the year. I am still hoping for apples so I can make apple butter and can some apples for cobbler, but it doesn't look promising this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 05:44 AM
 
Location: The land of infinite variety!
2,050 posts, read 1,233,199 times
Reputation: 4571
Already got my jams and fruits canned, just waiting now to see what I can get for tomatos and peppers to make salsa. We need some good rain, just like everywhere else!

I also like to can meats and fish. With limited freezer space and the way meat is going up I have been buying chicken, pork and beef up when it is on sale and canning it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,517 posts, read 26,369,809 times
Reputation: 88539
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
stay busy but cool if possible. I think I am doing my 7 fruit marmalade this morning, after breakfast. I will only do about 5 or 6 pints...After that, unless we get a lot more tomatoes or a good deal on them, I will be about through for the year. I am still hoping for apples so I can make apple butter and can some apples for cobbler, but it doesn't look promising this year.
Have fun. I am going to the flea markets today to see what kind of produce is available. I set up my camp stove outside to do my canning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Already got my jams and fruits canned, just waiting now to see what I can get for tomatos and peppers to make salsa. We need some good rain, just like everywhere else!

I also like to can meats and fish. With limited freezer space and the way meat is going up I have been buying chicken, pork and beef up when it is on sale and canning it.

Take my rain. My stepdaughter's tomatoes have blight. We need sun here

Cool....I have only canned chicken before. What kind of cuts and how do you can your pork and beef.




Yes...stock up now and can it. The meat prices are going to go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 07:40 AM
 
Location: The land of infinite variety!
2,050 posts, read 1,233,199 times
Reputation: 4571
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Have fun. I am going to the flea markets today to see what kind of produce is available. I set up my camp stove outside to do my canning.




Take my rain. My stepdaughter's tomatoes have blight. We need sun here

Cool....I have only canned chicken before. What kind of cuts and how do you can your pork and beef.




Yes...stock up now and can it. The meat prices are going to go up.
We will definitely take the rain!!

The pork and beef I buy roasts and trim them and cut into cubes. Then I throw a bullion cube in a quart jar and pack the meat in to about 3/4. I put some onion slices and carrot slices on the top and a squeeze of ketchup, put the lids on and pressure can them for 1 1/2 hours. (or you can water bath them for 4 hours...not recommended, but I did it that way for years with no problem)

It really tenderizes the meat (I also do venison this way) and is good on bread, over rice, in stews, etc,
or plain.

A quart jar makes quite a bit. If it is just 2 people you could do pints and it would be fine.

Any cut will do, as it gets so tender. Definitely stock up now if you have the supplies to do this!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top