Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:26 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
My grandmother's recipe is the one I swear by.
boil eggs
mash yellows and add in mayo a dollop at a time
add equal parts sugar and apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
stuff eggs and top with paprika
For one dozen eggs I would guesstimate that I use about 1/4 C mayo and 2=3 TB sugar and vinegar. I've never actually measured.

That's our family recipe too! I use just plain old white vinegar.....I've never run into anyone else who doesn't use mustard....I do have to say these are my favorite deviled eggs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 06:38 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
I do the standard mayonaise and mustard too. I make mine with something different. I add bread and butter pickles. My sister grows the cucumbers herself and cans them too!

I use a French grained mustard too.

So, I add the bread and butter pickles into my food processor to blend them nice and smooth. This is a necessary process as I pipe my deviled eggs because I think they look nicer and because when I make them, I make a huge platter and it's easier to fill the egg cups. I then toss in all the rest of the ingredients and give it a whirl until its all nice and smooth.

Nothing is worse to than having a "back up" in your piping bag when you have 3 dozen deviled eggs to fill!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:04 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
Mayo, mustard, salt, pepper & relish. Combine with yolks by massaging a ziplock bag, snip the bottom corner & pipe into halved eggs. Quick, no cleanup & looks great piped.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:49 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
The first thing I do is finely crumble up the yolk with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder (tiny bit), onion powder and a little poultry seasoning.

For us, it's got to be Hellman's mayo and yellow mustard mixed into the yolk.

we use a ziplock bag to pipe the mixture into the egg halves...then sprinkle with paprika.

What the hell else ya gonna do with 30 dyed eggs, anyway?

Old 04-11-2009, 12:52 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Pocono-make a HUGE egg salad that lasts for weeks-LOL.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:02 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
okay here goes ; I take the yolks and I put them in the blender with a tad bit of water , mayo , mustard , fresh tomato chopped of course and sweet pickle relish and blend and scoop it out of the blender and add to the cut in half whites . Of course to season the yolk mixture I use a tad bit of seven seas dry italian salad dressing and it is so good everyone asks me to make every time I make deviled eggs .

Old 04-11-2009, 03:05 PM

165 posts, read 1,024,985 times
Anyone know if those egg peeler gadgets really work (you make a crack in an end of the egg and I think a burst of air separates the shell from the egg and the peeled egg plops out the bottom)? This batch of colored eggs are exceptionally hard to peel.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:07 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi66 View Post
Anyone know if those egg peeler gadgets really work (you make a crack in an end of the egg and I think a burst of air separates the shell from the egg and the peeled egg plops out the bottom)? This batch of colored eggs are exceptionally hard to peel.
I purchased on and I think it is a piece of junk.

I know that this type does not apply since you have already boiled your eggs, but I will pass on this tip that I read from another thread.

Sorry, I didn't know how to copy and paste the thread to give proper credit to the original poster:

"Apparently, the pin prick is a European secret. Since I can remember (about 3 years old) my mom would prick the fat end of the egg (where that air sac is located) and then slip into already boiling water. She did this because as a child I loved soft boiled eggs, and you will only be able to know when your soft boiled egg is ready if you start cooking it in already boiling water.

Nowadays, I just make sure to have the eggs out of the fridge right before I put the pan of water to boil. By the time it's boiling, the eggs are closer to room temp. I find that the risk of the egg shell cracking during boiling is much higher when the eggs are cold. I slip them into the water one at a time with a soup spoon. So now I don't even bother with the pin pricking, just make sure to have the eggs room temp.

P.S. I adore Jacques Pepin!
"

Old 04-14-2009, 08:49 PM

165 posts, read 1,024,985 times
I would love to know how/how long to cook a perfect soft boiled egg, as I love them too. So pricking the end first helps to let you know when its done because it stops running out of the shell, or ... ? Clue me in. ;-)

Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,595 times
Mayo, a little mustard, fresh onion grated, salt and papper!
Dont forget he paprika!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes