Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,201 times

Advertisements

I think it's funny to see who turns around when you whistle. Some girls want the attention.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:02 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,015,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

So is there a new rule that posters can not expand or elaborate on a topic? If so I didnt get the memo.

Some of us people dont care to be whistled at. Perhaps our experience is that it begins with a whistle, not always innocent in its approach and delivery, and turns into something more creepy or downright intimidating. Once one experiences that all other whistles, no matter how innocent, may be tainted by the bad experiences.

That may well be the case, ie, bad experiences leading to a bad perception. Nevertheless, regarding the assertion that posters can't expand on a topic -- I cannot possibly be the ONLY one who noticed that it went STRAIGHT from a question about whistling into IMMEDIATE scenarios of groups of men not merely whistling but howling and making the worst crude remarks, tailing women, following them.

It's pretty much like me remarking I think sheep are pretty and someone saying "I USED to think sheep were pretty, from a distance, until I saw a sheepdog who was mutated with robotic additions and velociraptor DNA bring down a man with lasers from his eyes before tearing him apart with those awful claws! Now sheep just disgust me!"

If the argument is that it begins with [insert action here], not always innocent in approach or delivery and turns into something more creepy or downright intimidating, then the Betas would actually have a pretty valid point over in all their bashing threads.

Last edited by Urban Sasquatch; 09-02-2010 at 09:15 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I agree with this but I would like to make one point: whistling begins when women are young girls, just developing, and at least when I was a young girl, I was dealing with hormones and my own changing body. To have others noticing it in an obvious way, even if well intended, made me self-conscious and yes, I would walk blocks to go around construction workers. The attention frightened me. I did not know what to do with it. The fact that I had no older brothers probably played a part in it too, in that I did not really know what boys were about.

I don't have any reason to think that is not reflective of most women's first experiences with whistling. But as I grew older, I realized that it was mostly harmless attention that took a little boredom out of a construction worker's day, and put a little sway into my hips. Period. I think it is about being comfortable with your body.

I'm glad you overcame the insecurity and became comfortable with your own body; and I'll admit, this kind of thing CAN be rough on young girls-becoming-women. Sadly, there is NO other explanation than that it's simply part of growing up.

The same sort of point could be made about comments from girls or women toward developing young boys. I recall how horribly shy I was as a boy growing up, my body getting out of control, not realizing what I had with the broad shoulders and narrow (OH, to have that waist again!) waist. One day while walking with two women over to another section of our farm they were behind me and made open, teasing admiration of my little butt moving back and forth under my jeans.

I was mortified; just a kid and NOT realizing what a compliment was actually being paid. These days when a woman compliments me even overtly and somewhat crudely, it puts a bit of spring in my step.

I know where you're coming from, but I still say it's weird how perceptions range from simple acceptance of admiration and even wry amusement down to some bizarre no-middle-ground area where it leaps abruptly across to omigod, they're stalking her and planning to desecrate her corpse with their turgid, engorged man-things!

It seems some knee-jerk reactions are to go straight for the rape whistle, speaking of whistles.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Not being a woman who has been whistled at since she was 12 years old, I don't really believe you are qualified to tell us how we should or should not feel about it. As a young girl who developed early, it was extremely uncomfortable to me for men my father's age and older to whistle at me. I did not take it as a compliment at all. It just scared me, so I believe I have the right to say that I don't like it, without you acting like something is wrong with me. If you say you have not whistled at a very young girl, you don't know if you have or not. I looked at 12 like I looked at 18. Some girls mature early, and have to deal with men way before they are ready. Because of my experiences and watching young girls deal with it today, I hate being whistled at. That is my opinion, and I have the right to have it.

If you'll actually read what I wrote, nowhere did I tell anyone what they should or should not think of whistling. I commented how it went IMMEDIATELY from whistling to scenarios of howling, gibbering neanderthals in hardhats practically pinning women down in the street... and then I gave MY take on whistling as a compliment.

I didn't even suggest that there ARE no inappropriate forms of whistling, or that it's never out of place. I implied quite the opposite in my summation.

We see what we want to see and hear what we want to hear a surprising amount of the time. My post and your response are good examples; whistling just might be another.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:22 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,490,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Perhaps you should learn to whistle a different tune when warning others.
Hey ImportersWife--------Im whistlin at you right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-02-2010, 11:33 AM

4,116 posts, read 3,147,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I was reading a thread concerning how men behave in certain areas. I was wondering, what percentage of women really like when they get whistled at by men.

I personally would never do it because I think it is disrespectful, but that is my personal opinion.

NONE

Old 09-03-2010, 09:10 PM

122 posts, read 211,002 times
Now all you women are giving me a complex, cause I'm a poor constrution worker. I gues that makes me a pig also. lmao... I will say this. I don't whistle at alot of women. But the ones that I have seem to like it. But no more of tha from me, I will just keep me whistles to myself....damn. lol

Old 09-03-2010, 09:12 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,584,289 times
Never been whistled at...I guess it would be flattering. Maybe a little uncomfortable, but I'm shy about that sort of thing. I don't think it means the guys are pigs though. I think women who say guys who whistle are pigs but they kind of secretly like it. I would never date a man who whistles at women though....so I guess in that sense it is a turn off. I think professional, intellectual men don't do that. (Let the flames begin)

Old 09-04-2010, 02:37 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
That may well be the case, ie, bad experiences leading to a bad perception. Nevertheless, regarding the assertion that posters can't expand on a topic -- I cannot possibly be the ONLY one who noticed that it went STRAIGHT from a question about whistling into IMMEDIATE scenarios of groups of men not merely whistling but howling and making the worst crude remarks, tailing women, following them.

It's pretty much like me remarking I think sheep are pretty and someone saying "I USED to think sheep were pretty, from a distance, until I saw a sheepdog who was mutated with robotic additions and velociraptor DNA bring down a man with lasers from his eyes before tearing him apart with those awful claws! Now sheep just disgust me!"

If the argument is that it begins with [insert action here], not always innocent in approach or delivery and turns into something more creepy or downright intimidating, then the Betas would actually have a pretty valid point over in all their bashing threads.

I'm a woman and I noticed. You are 100% correct.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:05 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,388,478 times
Here is my take on whistling.
I think there is a big difference between barbaric whistling that follows with barking of stupidity and a whistle of admiration that comes out involentarily.

Sometimes I would be walking down the midtown Manhattan street and get what would almost be like a scene from Sex and a City: "psss, psss, psssss...*whistle*, *whistle*, psss...yo mama, sexy, sexy mama...wait up..u single?...what yooo....where u goingggg?" This type of whistling will be extremely annoying. I can't say that I hate it, but I don't particularly enjoy it.

And than there is a whistling that clearly shows a man is blown away by you. It sounds something like the wind blowing outside your window on a winter day, it's long and full of breath...and sometimes is followed by a breathless "oh...my...God....." or "wow"...I don't think there is a single woman in the world that doesn't enjoy the fact that she still get this kind of reaction from men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships