Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I'll do double takes. I can't really help that...sorry womans.
Those are nice. Usually gets a smile.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:07 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
After reading this thread I asked my 3 daughters about it. All 3 said that when a man does a "double take" [turning around and looking again] it seems the mans admiration is more sincere than a whistle because the reaction is reflexive and honest.
agree with this.
The double take is okay and it is a lot more effective than a whistle (or beeping the horn etc) - which I would totally ignore.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:18 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Men and women are sooo different. As a man I would welcome a group of women whistling at me. If they were hot, of course.
Yeah and that is why some men do it. Little do they know the woman may hate it, as you say most men would like it.
But if you read city data relationships forum you learn these things

Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,014,468 times
Been reading this and noticed how quickly it went from being whistled at to outright harassment and dangerous situations.

THIS is why men aren't good at flirting anymore -- because the mental imagery popularized goes from a guy whistling at a woman (which CAN be done tastefully, contrary to what some of you may think) to howling, gibbering packs of knuckle-draggers hooting and slavering as they dog a woman's heels until she fears for her very life.

Although there's certainly some truth to the assertion that for Ugly Guy whistling is harassment while for Hot Guy whistling is silly, good-time fun and admiration:

YouTube - Tom Brady on SNL skit (Smigel): "Sexual Harassment and You"

...it's also true that it's all in approach and delivery. Whistling is NOT my preferred form of flirtation but I've done it a couple of times. I didn't leer, I didn't stalk -- I just whistled lightly, often in surprise myself (kind of like when one gets hit unexpectedly and whistles at the pain), and then maintained eye contact and smiled, even followed up with a compliment. It's never been poorly received.

It's NOT the best form of flirtation; but it's not the denigrating, brutish expression of the beast within some here have painted it to be, either. The next step from whistling is NOT to seize a woman's hair, beat her senseless and drag her back to the cave for some rousing sessions of enslavement and torturous degradation. Seriously, what's WITH some of you people?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:04 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
[quote=Urban Sasquatch;15713008]Been reading this and noticed how quickly it went from being whistled at to outright harassment and dangerous situations.

Exactly. The OP asked about a simple whistle. Not lewd comments, not a group of men, not men following you around, not stalking etc etc

Old 09-01-2010, 08:26 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times
You're right Lisalan, I just meant whistle's. I thought that alone was rude and disrespectful. So catcalls and lewd comments I figured would go without saying is something that women would not like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Perhaps the OP can clarify if he meant his thread to include catcalls and lewd comments or if he meant just what his title says whistling????

Old 09-01-2010, 10:29 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
[quote=lisalan;15713077]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Been reading this and noticed how quickly it went from being whistled at to outright harassment and dangerous situations.

Exactly. The OP asked about a simple whistle. Not lewd comments, not a group of men, not men following you around, not stalking etc etc
So is there a new rule that posters can not expand or elaborate on a topic? If so I didnt get the memo.

Quote:
It's NOT the best form of flirtation; but it's not the denigrating, brutish expression of the beast within some here have painted it to be, either. The next step from whistling is NOT to seize a woman's hair, beat her senseless and drag her back to the cave for some rousing sessions of enslavement and torturous degradation. Seriously, what's WITH some of you people?
Some of us people dont care to be whistled at. Perhaps our experience is that it begins with a whistle, not always innocent in its approach and delivery, and turns into something more creepy or downright intimidating. Once one experiences that all other whistles, no matter how innocent, may be tainted by the bad experiences.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
If I was certain it was directed at me, I'd take it as a compliment.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,407,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
If I was certain it was directed at me, I'd take it as a compliment.

Like 3 months ago, I was coming up to a stop light...and there was this woman trying to cross the street. I saw that she clearly wasn't watching where she was walking, so I whistled at her to be careful. She thought I was flirting with her, and she started playing with her hair. Just then a Hummer H2 barreled into her.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post

...it's also true that it's all in approach and delivery. Whistling is NOT my preferred form of flirtation but I've done it a couple of times. I didn't leer, I didn't stalk -- I just whistled lightly, often in surprise myself (kind of like when one gets hit unexpectedly and whistles at the pain), and then maintained eye contact and smiled, even followed up with a compliment. It's never been poorly received.

I agree with this but I would like to make one point: whistling begins when women are young girls, just developing, and at least when I was a young girl, I was dealing with hormones and my own changing body. To have others noticing it in an obvious way, even if well intended, made me self-conscious and yes, I would walk blocks to go around construction workers. The attention frightened me. I did not know what to do with it. The fact that I had no older brothers probably played a part in it too, in that I did not really know what boys were about.

I don't have any reason to think that is not reflective of most women's first experiences with whistling. But as I grew older, I realized that it was mostly harmless attention that took a little boredom out of a construction worker's day, and put a little sway into my hips. Period. I think it is about being comfortable with your body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.