Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 PM

326 posts, read 838,726 times

Advertisements

After reading something in another thread I got curious.

For you single moms or single dads out there, would you prefer dating other single parents or would you rather date someone that does not have their own children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 09:39 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,819,269 times
I have one son, he's 15 and has Asperger's, so I have to keep that in mind with prospective dates. He's recently been diagnosed with bipolar on top of that, so with just my one son, things get chaotic. So I make it very clear and don't sugar coat things a bit with men about that. I find that of the men I've met, or been in relationships with, those with kids have a little more understanding, even if my situation is not at all like theirs. But my ex-boyfriend was very concerned he would not make a good stepfather to my son. He's several years younger, never married, doesn't want kids, so that was a big issue. Rightly so.

If the guy's okay with my situation, then I'm okay with his, whatever it entails (within reason). Although, I did have a meet from an online dating site with a guy who has 5 kids, 4 of whom are teens... I was a little - okay, a LOT - leery about that. We all would probably make the most dysfunctional Brady Bunch household ever. Yikes.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,207,344 times
Sometimes it truly baffles me what they want! I've come across many a profile with monikers like X's Dad/Mom and the first line you see sounds like a command - "my kids come first," "my kids are my top priority," "my kids take most of my time" or something to that effect! Well, not a real turn-on on a dating site now, is it?! If that's all your life is about and if there's evidently no room in your life for anybody else, what the heck are you doing on that site?!

I guess like most people they want to have their cake and eat it, too, meaning they keep their fingers crossed to find somebody who'd be willing to give them something in exchange for nothing.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:54 PM

491 posts, read 1,046,466 times
I would prefer to choose the man that is going to love me and treat me good, and love my son and treat him good as well. Whether or not he has kids, doesn't matter to me.

However if I absolutely had to make a choice and there was a gun to my head lol, I would choose the guy with kids. The most important reason being that (assuming he is an actively involved dad) he would be a little bit more understanding and know what it is to be a parent and would know what to expect. Unlike the single guys I've dealt with before that get upset and don't understand why I can't meet them at a bar on a Thursday night at 11pm. I've actually had a guy tell me to leave my then 3yr old asleep by himself lol. Needless to say, that didn't go very far!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sometimes it truly baffles me what they want! I've come across many a profile with monikers like X's Dad/Mom and the first line you see sounds like a command - "my kids come first," "my kids are my top priority," "my kids take most of my time" or something to that effect! Well, not a real turn-on on a dating site now, is it?! If that's all your life is about and if there's evidently no room in your life for anybody else, what the heck are you doing on that site?!

I guess like most people they want to have their cake and eat it, too, meaning they keep their fingers crossed to find somebody who'd be willing to give them something in exchange for nothing.
Exactly. There's usually a place in your profile where you indicate if you have kids or not, and that's where I leave it. I never mention my son in my profile, other than that. Kinda putting the cart before the horse, for one thing! When the guys write, then I'll ease him into the subject of my son, if I'm interested. Then I hit the guy over the head with the Asperger's/bipolar thing, and they run away, screaming. (Not really. Many guys have been very understanding.)

Old 09-21-2010, 09:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,207,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
Exactly. There's usually a place in your profile where you indicate if you have kids or not, and that's where I leave it. I never mention my son in my profile, other than that. Kinda putting the cart before the horse, for one thing! When the guys write, then I'll ease him into the subject of my son, if I'm interested. Then I hit the guy over the head with the Asperger's/bipolar thing, and they run away, screaming. (Not really. Many guys have been very understanding.)
Exactly! Many people may not mind kids, but the presentation is absolutely off-putting!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,900,531 times
I would date a person that is a single father or one that has none.
Although I see pros and cons with both.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Exactly! Many people may not mind kids, but the presentation is absolutely off-putting!
I'm surprised how many men do this. And it's often more like a warning: "The most important females in my life are my two little girls, and they always will be, so if you can't deal with that, then move on to the next profile."

Jeebus Cripes. He might as well throw his mother in the mix, too.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:05 PM

326 posts, read 838,726 times
At this point in my life I really do NOT want to have any more kids of my own. I don't think many men would be willing to never have their own children but gladly accept mine as apart of their life. At least in my age range.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,900,531 times
It screams to me, he had problems before with others he dated.^^^To Neemy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships