Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:53 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I flunked college my first year and am rolling in money. I have friends with four year degrees on unemployment. College doesn't equte to anything but a piece of paper.

And you seriously want your husband to be a musician? He's either a closet homosexual who will later come out and ruin your family or he spends large amounts of time dreaming of having his own musical grouping of sorts. You'd be better off picking up an abusive alcoholic from the local biker bar and just getting it over with quicker.
But, dude, you know the tricks of making money that makes a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 09:58 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,807,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
But, dude, you know the tricks of making money that makes a huge difference.
Hard work and not being overly stupid?

But no really, money doesn't equal happiness. Ask anyone who has made very large amounts of money before and they'll tell you that it won't answer any questions. If anything, too much money creates more problems and distracts from meaningful purposes in life.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 AM

943 posts, read 3,335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
OP, I understand that you like him and feel the chemistry. My thing is his age. He seems so young still, for a guy to settle at 22, that's pretty rare.

In terms of finances, again, it's too early to tell! He is only 22. My aunt married a struggling musician, now they are swimming in money as he opened his own business.

Money cannot buy happieness, but it sure buys comfort.
Well from our conversations he's eluded to being a one woman man and that once he's completely financially set his next step is marriage. I promise I had a poker face on the whole time but in my mind I was like , lol.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
Well from our conversations he's eluded to being a one woman man and that once he's completely financially set his next step is marriage. I promise I had a poker face on the whole time but in my mind I was like , lol.
Well, it sounds like he has his priorities in line, and knows what he wants.
So what if he don`t have alot of money now..he will be a one woman man....imagine how "Pa" was on Little House. Oh yeah!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
LOL..I have a friend who's engaged to doctor who makes half a million a yr and she is not happy. She says she barely sees him, they barely have sex (he'd rather watch the news than have sex) and she's away from all of her family and friends so she's lonely. Her Louis Vuitton handbags do not keep her warm or make her laugh.
I was talking about your own, not somebody else's, money. Those who marry it work pretty hard for it.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I was talking about your own, not somebody else's, money. Those who marry it work pretty hard for it.
Oh ok..but how is that relevant to the topic ?

Old 10-01-2010, 10:35 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
money doesn't buy happiness

I've always wondered which wealthy mastermind sold this hoax to the poor public and when.
Well, Mae West once said, "Anybody who says money doesn't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop."

That being said, money may not cause happiness, but the lack of money can sure cause a lot of misery. There's just no denying it.

Marriage is a partnership in every sense of the word: Romantic and economic. And while you don't need brand new cars in the garage of your 4,500 square foot home, designer clothes, and trips to exotic locations to be happy, there are things that money does provide: Confidence, a sense of security, and an ability to not worry about the wolf constantly at the door.

So while it's not necessary to marry someone who will bring home a huge paycheck every day, you sure as heck need to make sure your partner helps ensure that your marriage will be financially sound either by contributing to its income in a meaningful way or by not being a reckless spendthrift.

I mean there are a lot of people in this country right now who are facing a great deal of stress. Some because they lost their jobs. But another very large proportion because they bit off way more than they could chew in terms of the house note and the car payment, and have no savings to show for it. And if you think money isn't a key part of their marital discord and general unhappiness, I invite you to ring their doorbell and ask them in person.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, Mae West once said, "Anybody who says money doesn't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop."

That being said, money may not cause happiness, but the lack of money can sure cause a lot of misery. There's just no denying it.

Marriage is a partnership in every sense of the word: Romantic and economic. And while you don't need brand new cars in the garage of your 4,500 square foot home, designer clothes, and trips to exotic locations to be happy, there are things that money does provide: Confidence, a sense of security, and an ability to not worry about the wolf constantly at the door.

So while it's not necessary to marry someone who will bring home a huge paycheck every day, you sure as heck need to make sure your partner helps ensure that your marriage will be financially sound either by contributing to its income in a meaningful way or by not being a reckless spendthrift.

I mean there are a lot of people in this country right now who are facing a great deal of stress. Some because they lost their jobs. But another very large proportion because they bit off way more than they could chew in terms of the house note and the car payment, and have no savings to show for it. And if you think money isn't a key part of their marital discord and general unhappiness, I invite you to ring their doorbell and ask them in person.
You're right but my fears of being in a loveless marriage and being in the poorhouse are just about the same. Why oh why is there always a catch??

Old 10-01-2010, 11:43 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,839,053 times
22 is pretty young to be considered financially irresponsible. Maybe he will do just sine in life and live comfortably and well.

His character and ambition probably says more about him and his future than his current education and check book balance.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:57 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,437 times
Lightbulb The Captain Sez...

Quote:
You're right but my fears of being in a loveless marriage and being in the poorhouse are just about the same. Why oh why is there always a catch??
KMG, all you can do right now is follow your heart (with a best supporting actor Oscar for your head LOL)...does he give you goosebumps when you think of him, or talk to him? Are you getting any MAJOR MAJOR red flags from him, besides his age, and his musician thing, which may not be bad at all?

Do you find yourself missing him when he's not around? And does your heart go 'shi-poopie shi-poopie' when he IS around? Then, go for it...he might just be 'THE ONE", and you're gonna wear out 3 pairs of shoes kicking yourself in the bewtocks if you don't...

It's better to have money and not need it, than to need money and not have it, true enough...and yes, money does pay the bills, that much is set in steel...but too many folks place emphasis on 'stuff', and the acquisition of same, without realizing that, once you die, your 'stuff' is left here on Eath for your friends and relations to fight over...

I'll close with a story I may have told here before, about how Mrs Catfish and I met and wound up happy together...we met on an internet dating site, and at first, I was reluctant to approach her further because she was (gasp!) taller than my 5'8" (she's 5'9" with long pretty legs, and in heels she's at least 5'11" to 6 ft)...when we finally did get together, I asked her if my height had made a difference...she said 'I didn't care how tall YOU were---I cared about how tall your HEART was...and you've got a heart as big as Texas'

LOL...think I didn't feel 10 feet tall that day? And I love her still to this day...which is why I say, go for it...you have nothing to lose, and the world to gain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships