Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 03:26 PM

144 posts, read 121,202 times

Advertisements

"I'm an independent, self-sufficient woman and I firmly disbelieve in male/female double standards while firmly believing in equal rights, namely, salary scales between both sexes". - Signed, City Data Females

It's not all of you, but I still can't believe the crap I read here. Some women are all about "equal everything", until it comes to finances.

Once again, this is just for some of you, but how about going out and getting your own god damn job, a job that pay's well enough so you CAN go out on that date with the guy without worrying about whether or not he can support you and any of your crazy endeavors you so choose to embark upon. Eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 03:31 PM

943 posts, read 3,335,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Congrats on the awesome first date! Sounds like you're VERY smitten w/ this guy! Have you gone on more dates with this man since? Just relax and enjoy the romance; live in the moment sometimes! Slow down!!

He's 22! At least he's not living w/ his parents either working like a dog but not making enough to be on his own or is not working at all. He didn't go to college, so he doesn't have those pesky student loans to pay off. Consider yourself lucky, since a lot of 22yo guys fall into the description I just mentioned. At least he has a day job to fall back on, is driven and ambitious, and has some very great qualities (as you have mentioned).

This guys seems awesome, don't let the concern of money keep you from pursuing a potentially great relationship!

Best of luck to you!
Thanks.
Wow I didn't know that my feelings transfered that strongly in my post, lol. He's had a death in the family (about 2 weeks ago) so we're going out this weekend.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post
It's not all of you, but I still can't believe the crap I read here. Some women are all about "equal everything", until it comes to finances.

Once again, this is just for some of you, but how about going out and getting your own god damn job, a job that pay's well enough so you CAN go out on that date with the guy without worrying about whether or not he can support you and any of your crazy endeavors you so choose to embark upon. Eh?
There's a big difference in wanting or expecting to be supported by a man and worrying about having to support him. The sword cuts both ways, friend. I was in the unfortunate position of being the sole provider of the household. My ex-H was an able-bodied, degreed man. We didn't have any children between us. There were zero excuses, except that he didn't want to work, end of story.

This has made me far more sensitive to what men go through when choosing a mate. Believe me, I do not want to end up a burden to anyone. I want to pull my weight. But, if I had to have surgery or a medical treatment and couldn't work for a couple of months, I'd like to be assured that between the two of us, we wouldn't end up destitute. I think that's a reasonable thing to expect.

My problem has been that as much as a lot of men say they want a woman with similar earning power, someone who pulls her own weight, they still end up going for the women they claim to abhor -- women who want to get married just so they have a "provider." These "bait and switch" tactics have been pulled on me more than just once.

And I don't get it. I honestly don't get it.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:53 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603;16129923[B
]"I'm an independent, self-sufficient woman and I firmly disbelieve in male/female double standards while firmly believing in equal rights, namely, salary scales between both sexes". - Signed, City Data Females[/b]

Nice that you can make such sweeping generalizations about so many members here after just a week of hanging around the forum.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:55 PM

Mellisa, that's great and all, but far from the general mentality I've observed on this forum. Good for you, though.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Nice that you can make such sweeping generalizations about so many members here after just a week of hanging around the forum.
I've been reading the forum longer than you've been a member.

While it may have sounded like a "sweeping generalization", really it is a select handful of regular posters, and your usual heartbroken men-haters who grace this forum with their presence until they're done being mad.

There are the same men here with similar issues but, in the interest of this particular thread, I am discussing the females.

Thanks for coming to their rescue, though, prince charming...

Old 10-03-2010, 04:10 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post
I've been reading the forum longer than you've been a member.

While it may have sounded like a "sweeping generalization", really it is a select handful of regular posters, and your usual heartbroken men-haters who grace this forum with their presence until they're done being mad.

There are the same men here with similar issues but, in the interest of this particular thread, I am discussing the females.

Thanks for coming to their rescue, though, prince charming...
Oh, so that was yet again another failed attempt at being humorous, while really just being snarky. Ok, got it.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Oh, so that was yet again another failed attempt at being humorous, while really just being snarky. Ok, got it.
I was really just being snarky. Glad we're on the same page.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:14 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,996,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
Thanks.
Wow I didn't know that my feelings transfered that strongly in my post, lol. He's had a death in the family (about 2 weeks ago) so we're going out this weekend.
It's cool. Sometimes we forget the state in which many young people are in today's world. I'm 21yo and in college, so I was given my perspective on the plight of many 22yo guys. Just an observation. I mentioned for you to "slow down!!" since you mentioned that he may be "husband material", lol.

My condolences to the guy and his family. Hope you guys have a nice date this weekend!

Old 10-05-2010, 06:25 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,896,145 times
Give him a chance. He is driven - you said it yourself. He has a day job and does his thing at night. What if you turn your back on the next Kenny G girl. If he's pursuing his passion and providing for himself, you seem to be head over heals with him, and your other guys have nothing on you two.........go for it. You only life once and you're 26. There are people with MBA's not working for years so you never know what can happen in life that's why you always buckle your seat on the roller coaster and have some fun with the ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships