Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:00 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I've read that divorce rates are higher among couples who marry young. On the other hand, marrying fresh out of high school used to be pretty common, and divorces were fewer. I don't know whether that has reversed because divorce doesn't carry the stigma it used to. Perhaps many of the couples married back then would have divorced but didn't, or perhaps many of the couples today aren't trying hard enough. I don't really know.

Yes you are correct julia 63 percent of divorces are between the ages of 18-24.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 02:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I didn't know anybody when I was 18-30 who was worth marrying, at least not at that time that I knew them (I'd imagine some of them have grown up by now). So not getting married based on who I was dating when I was in that age range was probably a good choice.

I'm 33, and have been with somebody for the past three years who is marriage material (and who agrees that I am). So someday, we'll do that, after we've done some of the other stuff on our list.

I was raised in a very "marry young" part of the country. It never felt like a natural fit, to me. I had other things I wanted to do in my late teens, twenties, that wouldn't have been as easy to do where I in a marriage, or, God forbid, having kids.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:17 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
'Getting married at an early age'
About 16 (for both) is a good age to marry. That way, by the time both are about 22, they are tired of each other and should get a divorce. Then the erotic fun with various partners in life begins.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:41 AM

84 posts, read 157,424 times
Getting married at an early age? 90%+ involves an unwanted pregnancy. That, and a lot of image-saving spin so to not look bad.

Bad idea. Cut your wings with a machete.

Happens a lot in Latin America. I came from a LA country and should have been told beforehand the dating pool closed half-way before age 20.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:12 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,974 times
Hubby and I got married when I was eighteen and he was twenty after having dated for two years. Now I am forty and he is forty-two. We have four kids and have been married for twenty-one years. We have gone through a lot, including a severely autistic child, hubbys physical issues and his continuing long term unemployment.We are happy though and we both are just too stubborn to let those things break us up.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:55 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I have a half brother who is currently 28 and his wife is 28 as well, they both got married when they were 16 twelve years ago and are still happily married today with two kids and another one on the way. The thing is, they only knew each other for 4 months before my half-brother proposed to her.

I personally believe you can find the right person at any age and at any time. There are probably one or two couples aged 17 and 18 at my high school that have been together for 3-5 years that are now engaged, so I support them. But if they had known each other for a short while, I wouldn't be as supportive of them. I think there are SOME teenagers out there that are ready for the commitment and responsibilities that come with marriage, but unfortunately there aren't very many. I know some young adults that are more ready for marriage than my 46 year old uncle is. Also, my parents both got married at 30, due to my Mom getting pregnant with me, they then got divorced 5 years later when I was 5. So now I believe that the two people getting married determine the success rate of the marriage more than the age.

But I personally myself want to get married young, around 20-23 would be good.

What do you think about marrying young?
BAD idea. I personally think you should wait until at least your late 20s to get married. You need to find yourself before you get married and no one I know has accomplished that task before the age of 26. Besides you need that freedom in your early 20s to take chances in your career and other aspects of your life and not having to worry about messing up a wife and any children.

Oh BTW, I'm 22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships