Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:07 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,098,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrader101 View Post
Hello,

Within the past few years, there have been many articles about the latest phenomena of Stay at Home Wives, women who are financially supported by their husband, yet do not have any kids in their home. These wives do everything from charity work to housework to second college degrees.

No kids, no jobs for growing number of wives - CNN

When I become very successful, I would definitely love to fully financially support whoever is my wife at the time, so that she can look beautiful and persue whatever interests she has, whether it be charity work, education, volunteer work, reading, antiques, travel, etc. It would be totally thrilling to get up for work and see her looking gorgeous and happily sleeping by the pool before she leaves to volunteer on a political campaign. Or seeing her walk out the door with an adventurous spirit as she leaves on a trip to some wonderful exotic place and then comes back with a deep perspective.

Later on when we have kids, her free time will enable her to be a great parents and a well rounded one and multifaceted one at that. My questions are the following:

1. To the guys out there, would any of you ever happily work to support a wife while she developed herself in every way followed her interests, traveled and then became a very multifacated mom?

2. Have any of you ever known of any couples where the husband led a structured career/work oriented life supporting the lifestyle of a woman who led a free life following her own interests and development, even perhaps traveling? If so, how did the lifestyle work out for the couple?

Any thoughts would be tremendously appreciated.

Why can't she worked..nothing in the world is guaranteed..What is something happened to you where she had to work..and she had no job skills..Too many women put themselves in these predicaments.
I wouldnt want a man to fully support me if I was able to contribute and get a job too..I find it a sense of control
But to each their own I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 12:10 PM

20,736 posts, read 19,410,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Why can't she worked..nothing in the world is guaranteed..What is something happened to you where she had to work..and she had no job skills..Too many women put themselves in these predicaments.
I wouldnt want a man to fully support me if I was able to contribute and get a job too..I find it a sense of control
But to each their own I guess.

Hi jeepgirl27,

One solution has always been life insurance. Term life is pretty cheap for young people.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,180,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrader101 View Post
Hello,

Within the past few years, there have been many articles about the latest phenomena of Stay at Home Wives, women who are financially supported by their husband, yet do not have any kids in their home. These wives do everything from charity work to housework to second college degrees.

No kids, no jobs for growing number of wives - CNN

When I become very successful, I would definitely love to fully financially support whoever is my wife at the time, so that she can look beautiful and persue whatever interests she has, whether it be charity work, education, volunteer work, reading, antiques, travel, etc. It would be totally thrilling to get up for work and see her looking gorgeous and happily sleeping by the pool before she leaves to volunteer on a political campaign. Or seeing her walk out the door with an adventurous spirit as she leaves on a trip to some wonderful exotic place and then comes back with a deep perspective.

Later on when we have kids, her free time will enable her to be a great parents and a well rounded one and multifaceted one at that. My questions are the following:

1. To the guys out there, would any of you ever happily work to support a wife while she developed herself in every way followed her interests, traveled and then became a very multifacated mom?

2. Have any of you ever known of any couples where the husband led a structured career/work oriented life supporting the lifestyle of a woman who led a free life following her own interests and development, even perhaps traveling? If so, how did the lifestyle work out for the couple?

Any thoughts would be tremendously appreciated.
I have, on occasion, been fortunate enough to be a stay-at-home wife. I do not, however, look on it as an opportunity to "do my own thing", but rather to concentrate my efforts on making my home as pleasant and comfortable as my husband as I possibly can. During this time I was able to make nutritious dinners on a nightly basis, shop for the best food, keep the house spotlessly clean, etc. I love being able to provide the best possible domestic experience for my dh, but alas, right now I do not have that luxury.

Maybe one of these days.

20yrsinBranson

7,796 posts, read 16,419,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi DavidTrader101;

Already doing it. She is taking care of two young ones now. With my help, its nothing but good food, sex and love for 7 years.
But what did your wife do before she was a mom? Was she a stay at home girlfriend/fiancee? I think that's what the OP is inquiring about.

2,788 posts, read 5,098,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I totally disagree with Victor, in fact any man that wants to "be in control" is a control freak and extremely undesirable from any woman's point of view. At least an educated, career woman. In fact, I've never met a male colleague in my life who wanted their wives to stay at home, how pathetic. I find it hilarious that you think a woman who has a job "elevates" herself. Does that also hold true for men? You obviously have extreme issues with control or you wouldn't use a word like "dominance." In a real marriage, you have two career-minded people where neither dominates.

And as for the OP, what planet are you living on? You think a woman that stays home and does nothing is somehow more "beautiful" than a working woman?

If I were a man, I would run from any lazy woman who prefered to stay home and not work. I would come home to someone utterly boring who did nothing but watch TV or file their nails all day? How about getting out and earning an income?

I totally agree..work is good for us..

Old 12-02-2010, 12:24 PM

20,736 posts, read 19,410,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
But what did your wife do before she was a mom? Was she a stay at home girlfriend/fiancee? I think that's what the OP is inquiring about.

Hi TheImportersWife,

She did work just as a temp. She is also a music major and was teaching some piano on the side. When she plays, she sounds like a CD. She is not like that granny on the block sort of thing.

My mother was also a pianist, but my father would become irritated because he could not hear the TV...My dad was otherwise a good guy. She can play at any time and I gladly listen to her play rather than the mind melting machine.

She has considered finding "a job" after the kids grow up. She always wanted to be an accompanist, and I told her to go for that rather than "a job". She should do what she loves. Its fine by me.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:01 PM

851 posts, read 3,630,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
There's a politics forum on here, go find a feminist thread, you'll have a ball
I don't want to stir up politics fight. I am just saying, on one hand, women want equality; on the other hand, when being treated as a pretty vase, they don't stand up to themselves.

If I were the woman, I'd be very insulted rather than flattered if the guy made such an offer.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,237,468 times
My wife, who has always worked demanding jobs, would love to stay home once the kids leave for school. And I think that's great.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,257,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
If I were the woman, I'd be very insulted rather than flattered if the guy made such an offer.
Is that right?! I thought you lamented about your inability to secure the same deal for yourself!.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:15 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,959,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
I don't want to stir up politics fight. I am just saying, on one hand, women want equality; on the other hand, when being treated as a pretty vase, they don't stand up to themselves.

Equality = women have the CHOICE to be pretty vases or workaholics or anything in between. Equality is NOT all women suddenly desiring to become CEOs. Feminism and the feminist movement was all about having options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships