Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:09 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,827 times

Advertisements

Thats the exact reason I live in a highrise, I refuse to do yard work or handyman work. I've only met one female who was put off by this but then again she was a bit on the "country" side. While I most certainly can perform most of these duties there are professionals that can do it much better and with a warranty. Men with huge egos often make things worse by trying to prove their manhood.

I had to cut 5 acres of grass growing up, no way in hell I'll ever cut another blade of grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 11:10 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We both cook and clean and do laundry, however, and he's better with electronics/computerized stuff than I am. He's just not as skilled with general household repairs, etc.
Same deal here...I'm good, with computers/electronics/hi-tech stuff, but not with household repairs.

For the record though: I did plant about 100+ plants/trees/shrubs (including digging, planting, and replanting), over the past 2 years, around my property. I also did extensive landscaping hard labor, of that same time period. However, when it comes to things like drywalling, carpentry, etc., I fear my skills are woefully short in that regard.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:12 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times
I think it is a hardwired survival attraction. Handy males are more "useful," more able to protect the partner and offspring. I think it is a biological preference. Culturally, it is cool, too.

Who wouldn't want to have a "handy" partner? Do males also prefer "handy" females? Do gay males like "handy" partners?

I mean it's a "value added benefit." Why would anyone not want this?

I have never heard anyone say, "God, I hoope he is not handy!"

Old 12-26-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Do you expect women to cook, clean and do laundry? I think your thoughts along these lines depends on your upbringing.
Never fear, I do my own cleaning and laundry, 100% of the time

Cooking...sometimes receive help with that I'll admit; other times, I improvise for myself (although I hope to someday learn more about that particular talent, lol)

Old 12-26-2010, 11:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
But would you be willing to learn, if it ever came down to it?

I don't have a problem with guys who lack experience in a certain area...but I will admit that I do find guys who aren't willing to learn how to do something and at least give it a shot kind of a turnoff. Of course, I also feel disdain for women who seem similarly helpless. I'm generally impressed by self-sufficiency and resourcefulness. One reason I admire my boyfriend is that he took a free class that a master electrician we know put on, on how to do simple electrical work, and rewired the ceiling fixture in our kitchen rather than call in an electrician. He didn't learn this stuff growing up, but he's willing to learn it now.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I think it is a hardwired survival attraction. Handy males are more "useful," more able to protect the partner and offspring. I think it is a biological preference. Culturally, it is cool, too.

Who wouldn't want to have a "handy" partner? Do males also prefer "handy" females? Do gay males like "handy" partners?

Not saying, it isn't useful, or even a valuable skill. At the same time though, why the "hazing" from certain females, if the man is simply not up to it?

If someone can afford to "hire out" and wants to, what's wrong with that approach?

Old 12-26-2010, 11:20 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
...Fixing a car...sorry, no idea...that's what the family car mechanic, is for!
Will you change a flat tire on your or your lady's car?

If yes, that's good enough IMO.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:20 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Not saying, it isn't useful, or even a valuable skill. At the same time though, why the "hazing" from certain females, if the man is simply not up to it?

If someone can afford to "hire out" and wants to, what's wrong with that approach?
I've never heard a woman "haze" a man for lacking such skills. That said, I personally find it to be an extremely appealing ability.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Honestly, if that is happening to you, it speaks more to your ability to choose with whom to surround yourself than it does your ability to be Mr. Fix-It. Somebody who's going to verbally abuse you is going to verbally abuse you no matter what...doesn't have much to do with whether or not you can fix a doorknob. If you were a professional handyman, people like that would just find something else to abusively target.
As the popular saying goes (paraphrased), "We can choose our friends, but not our family..."

Old 12-26-2010, 11:23 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

I see your point except for the whole "feeling protected" sham. I hear this a lot from women. being handy does not equate to being a good protector, just like being large and muscular doesn't. I think its something that women have convinced themselves to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships