Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:33 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times

Advertisements

While it's a nice quality to have, I don't expect any guy I date to be a 'handyman'. I'm really handy when it comes to fixing stuff around the house. I've fixed so many things that I feel like I'm knowledgeable if anything breaks. A handyman is not something I look for in a man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Well, y'know, you still hear comments now 'n' then about today's woman not being like the women of yesteryear where domesticates are concerned. But you can say the same about men, too!

Yes, my mother was a home-maker, never had an outside job in her life. And the men took care of the house and property. If something needed fixed, it didn't sit around untouched forever. Today, in too many households, things sit around untouched forever. And I am basing this on observations from friends as well as myself (I'm married to a great collector of "round-to-its").

There is only one good part to this, and it's that I can relax guilt-free. Our house looks live-in. Not going to kill myself being Martha Stewart if he wants to leave things undone.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:17 AM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
Its hillarious how some women on here are ripping Men who dont have that ability, if Men on here rip women not knowing how to cook and do other household chores and say women arent what they used to be they get killed called pigs and say how they want a slave not a wife..

Women want gender roles or each gender to fit specific stereotypes when its beneficial to them..

Old 12-27-2010, 11:23 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
what is it Red Green says?? if they don't find ya handsome at least be handy(holding a roll of duct tape) or something like that

and just what is wrong with drinking beer??
I can keep things running enough make it through the day. I am no mechanic. Now if you want something welded or dirt moved I am your man. You need cattle moved hay to be cut or woods to be logged I am all excited.

Quote:
out here on the farm we have had to learn to fix almost everything- if we can't fix it we make it
Red Green also said necessity is a mother of an inventor.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:54 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,324 times
If you don't have the time, interest, or skills, then you'll need to hire the job out. That goes for household duties as well as handyman duties.

Not having those skills is obviously a disadvantage if you don't have the income to hire out, or if you live in area where it's hard to find skilled labor, or when something breaks in the middle of the night. My husband has all the skill and know-how to build a house from top to bottom but he's a busy man, as am I. So we hire people to do handyman work because it's not how he wants to spend his leisure time. But in a crunch, he could step up if he needed to, and yes, I find that very attractive.

Personally, I enjoy cooking and domestic housework, I find it relaxing and pleasurable. But when I'm tired and don't feel like cooking, we eat out. If I'm not up to heavy cleaning, he helps or I hire a cleaner. *shrug*

Old 12-27-2010, 11:54 AM

697 posts, read 1,280,969 times
"salutes' Red Green

I have to wonder how many women now-a-days can make bread from scratch or knows how to sew? or put up the treasures of the garden( i do) any honest women out there want to tell the truth?

Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 PM

My sweetheart has a couple things she wants me to look at on her car when she gets here. I am tickled as punch to do it.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:08 PM

yea ,yea 4020 we all know why your tickled( you lucky dog) ok ok it jealousy

Old 12-27-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
yea ,yea 4020 we all know why your tickled( you lucky dog) ok ok it jealousy
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:14 PM

look out lightning is gonna strike in the land of rocky raccoon after that post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships