Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:41 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Same deal here...we have a very long/large driveway, and can fit 8-10 cars there also.

And before anyone asks...yes, I *do* shovel it myself, every year! (Including, 4-5 times in a row last winter during Snowmaggedon, and just recently about a week ago when it last snowed.)
Snowmaggedon. I like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Some folks call me 'Jack of all trades'

Some folks call me 'Grizz'

Some folks call me to 'Dinner'.

hahahaha

I do have some snow here on the mountain at times, but i've never shoveled it. Mother Nature melts it.

I do have a tractor with a plow, though

hohohohohohohohoharhar

Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,683,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I hate to say it, but in my experience, there are more deadbeat guys than girls . . . most every woman I know raises kids, cleans, cooks, works outside the home . . .some also do yardwork. The guys play video games, watch sports, etc. Not much handyman work going on around the house and not much even "helping" with daily chores (and it shouldn't be called "helping" because that assumes it is the woman's job and the male's contribution is optional_.

I have never seen holidays where the males shop, wrap, bake cookies, make lasagna, cook all manner of food, serve it, and wash up afterwards. The men just stroll in, gobble up the food, open a few presents and leave or watch TV or go to bed. No real contribution.

Agree, but only because they can be. It's not because men are lazy good-for-nothings, it's because they are efficient, like a cat who lays around until it's time to strike.

I kind of admire men for this quality and have chosen to take a page from their playbook. I often don't notice when there's no food in the fridge, and lo and behold, someone else will go shopping (eventually). It's like magic!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
While I'm not in IT, I do work with computers a lot and do set up systems as part of my job.

So I'm the designated "support" person in the family. It does get old, I gotta admit.

Bro, just call up tech support & talk to someone in India, or some other country, you can't understand.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't know if this is a matter of handiness, but my dh just shoveled both driveways. One of them is super big. We can easily fit 10 cars in our driveways. That's just awesome. One day we'll buy a snow blower!
I know shoveling snow is mighty hard work. I used to doit as a youngster in Milwaukee, WI. We made some Cool snowforts too

Old 12-27-2010, 07:42 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

I have never seen holidays where the males shop, wrap, bake cookies, make lasagna, cook all manner of food, serve it, and wash up afterwards. The men just stroll in, gobble up the food, open a few presents and leave or watch TV or go to bed. No real contribution.

Hmm... no lasagna but the turkey and giblet stuffing and all manners of food cooked, Check.
Served mostly though I did get my sister to carve the turkey, Check.
Washed up next day and vacuum packed the leftovers for later meals, Check. ( I will admit I did not boil the carcase to get broth for later meals additions as my Father used to do )

Not unusual for the guys in my family to handle a lot of the Holiday cooking chores. Can't trust that to the ladies. You just do not get the proper stuffing that way.

As for being handy, if a thing needs doing, do it. Being helpless is unattractive.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 PM

Many times i've cooked our turkey (on foil) on my Weber charcoal BBQ. Basted the bird with beer, butter, spices mix. The meat falls off the bone.....YUM YUM

Old 12-27-2010, 08:48 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,755 times
I don't expect a man to be the burly dude who is always outside in the garage fixin' stuff 24/7 (although it would be a nice fantasy, lol). But, I do like a guy who can do at least basic home fixes. I find it very attractive and it makes me proud that he can fix all these things that I have no clue about!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Hmm... no lasagna but the turkey and giblet stuffing and all manners of food cooked, Check.
Served mostly though I did get my sister to carve the turkey, Check.
Washed up next day and vacuum packed the leftovers for later meals, Check. ( I will admit I did not boil the carcase to get broth for later meals additions as my Father used to do )

Not unusual for the guys in my family to handle a lot of the Holiday cooking chores. Can't trust that to the ladies. You just do not get the proper stuffing that way.

As for being handy, if a thing needs doing, do it. Being helpless is unattractive.
If you advertised your skills on the free market, you'd be in high demand

Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times
I don't know how true this is, but I had the idea that a lot of men view all females as "mommies" who will take care of them . . . and we women (lots of us) play into this.

So back to the handyman theme: Stuff breaks and chores that require strength need to be done - in exchange for cooking and cleaning, it is awesome to have someone who can take care of that stuff.

I personally am not mechanical and I am not sure why. Just have no aptitude or interest in power tools and electrical wiring.

I can do stuff on my computer, but that is deskwork, not handyperson work . . . handyman work is fixing stuff, maintaining stuff, getting dirty and crawling around in the attic or basement, getting filthy under the hood of the car or sliding under the car on one of those little roll-y things . . . lifting stuff, carrying stuff, killing ugly bugs, figuring out what to do in a disaster . . .

I used to think of myself as a feminist but I see that is probably not true. I doubt that if I were trained to do all of the above I would really enjoy it. It doesn't interest me in the least.

I am more interested in traditional feminine pursuits.

But I still think females should get equal pay for equal work, AND there are many females unlike me, who love to do what is traditionally thought of as "men's work," and who are good at it.

But getting back to the original post . . .if it is not the guy's natural instinct to fix things, then so be it. Just accept yourself for who you are and make sure you make enough money to hire other people to do all of the nuisance things that need to be done in life.

Last edited by imcurious; 12-27-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships