Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:41 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I guess I see it more like learning to cook...I could pay somebody else to make my meals, but why not just sink the time into learning...it saves money in the long run to not be counting on somebody else to do basic stuff for a fee.
You do have an excellent point there...as it is, I wouldn't be able to afford to pay someone to cook for me anyway, even if I wanted to

So OK, maybe learning more on how to cook, could be nice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 11:47 PM

89 posts, read 140,916 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with a woman who prefers a man with some skills over one that can't handle very basic household tasks. However, if this same woman can't hold her own when it comes to cooking, cleaning, etc., she has no right to demand Mr. Handyman.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:25 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,857,762 times
Default Can't Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Have any other guys, had their "manhood" called into question?
Learn to fix her vibrator and you'll be a hero. A horny hero, however.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:43 AM

727 posts, read 540,515 times
If he knows less than me he may feel himself worthless.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:53 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
What's the deal with the tendency of some (not all), of the female gender, including female family members, to "expect" their men to also automatically be "handymen"? While some guys might genuinely enjoy doing these things, I personally can't stand most of it, and would just as soon "hire out", to have the work done by paying someone to do it.

Have any other guys, had their "manhood" called into question, if they weren't super-eager and enthusiastic, to do these kinds of "handyman" jobs, that could always be contracted out to a professional third party, and in many cases, even rather inexpensively?
Just what kind of jobs are you talking about? If a woman has a home or appartment and doesn't have the brains to do some simple things (maybe fix a loose door knob/hinge, replace a simple light fixture, tighten a loose nut on a leaky pipe), don't waste your time with them. More complicated stuff, like replacing a sink, remodeling a bathroom or hanging cabinets...I can see the need for help. But at the same time, these things take time. Maybe make an agreement for an exchange of services...something along the line of a nice home-cooked meal for an hour's "handyman" work. Or perhaps she cleans your bathroom and does your laundry when she comes to your place

Old 12-27-2010, 01:56 AM

313 posts, read 450,744 times
My sister's husband has the ability to fix most things but he's also the world's biggest procrastinator. Many things end up untouched. And, yes, it is perhaps THE biggest bone of contention in their home. It wouldn't be nearly so bad if he was open to hiring someone to do the tasks, but he fusses over that idea, too.

In reverse, she's let her housekeeping "go" over the years. Gratefully, he don't dare complain.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:55 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
You do have an excellent point there...as it is, I wouldn't be able to afford to pay someone to cook for me anyway, even if I wanted to

So OK, maybe learning more on how to cook, could be nice...
Every time you eat out, you are paying for somebody to cook for you...that's what I was referring to, not to having an onsite chef or catered meals or anything. It's convenient to not have to cook for yourself (just like it's convenient to pay somebody to change your oil, do painting, do light carpentry, do landscaping), but personally, I get more satisfaction out of taking ownership of stuff like that, myself. Some people value the time they save by hiring out for utilitarian stuff more, and I get that in the abstract, but for me, personally, I feel better when I feel more self-sufficient. Plus, I genuinely LIKE doing a lot of that stuff. I enjoy being out there, landscaping my own yard, and when people compliment it, saying, "Yeah, I did that," rather than, "Yeah, I know a guy..."

Old 12-27-2010, 08:07 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times
Default i like

being able to fix things for women, despite my nagging insecurities about them. i remember a female co-worker lost a computer folder and i retrieved it for her using the search function, and i also retrieved the contents of a folder that were misplaced in another folder. she was really thankful for that.

another time i was talking about how i had a mouse infestation in my kitchen and how i trapped the mice and then throw them out. a recently married co worker said she liked that because her husband made her trap them and throw them out (my brother does the same to his wife he won't have any part of it) herself

Old 12-27-2010, 08:11 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
It's because men who are problem-solvers are very attractive to us. We like it when men can make something happen, even something dull like fixing a door knob. Knowing that your man is ready and able to get the job done is a turn-on. it's basic, primal stuff - the man as a provider of a good home. Even feminists prefer a man who is handy (even if they are capable of doing for themselves).
True, true, I love me the handyman types. I am lazy and I'm cheap, I would rather have my SO do the work and not have to pay for it

Old 12-27-2010, 08:51 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Yes, I don't want somebody with no ability tearing up a wall or tearing out plumbing. At least do your homework on what you're going to tackle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships