Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:01 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times

Advertisements

Men listen but in small doses. As long as you keep things short and to the point and don't expect most men to sit through a long dissertation about live, love and the pursuit of happiness, you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 08:10 AM

97 posts, read 161,315 times
The first thought that came to mind on this subject was men are fixers and women like to vent. Both genders are just wired to act differently. I use to always have this problem with my ex-girlfriend, because she use to have a lot to say and I was always trying to give her solutions. This would frustate her so much and I never caught on. I am getting better, but like I said we are wired this way, so it takes time to re-wire your hard drive.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:16 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Default Why Men Don't Listen To Women...

We do...

Most of the time you have to listen but not respond. Most of the time she is thinking outloud. No response is needed so you can proceed with whatever you are doing.

HOWEVER!!! If she has some concern on her mind she wants to tell you about then you had better listen up...make eye contact...and side with whatever it is that is bothering her. Even if you think it is the dumbest thing to worry about you had better win the Emmy and side with her on whomever ticked her off for the day.

There is my take on it.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:29 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times
When I used to share my feelings with my husband he knew that my ultimate goal was to understand a situation that I was facing from "more sides." He didn't view me as a "whiner" or ??? He knew that I had to process all of it and that I would get a "grip" on "what to do" and how to handle things in the end...He enjoyed the fact that I felt safe and comfortable confiding in him. And I respected and valued his input too...I was "here" for him when he needed to talk about a problem or situation that he was facing too. We never viewed each other as "whiners." We all need emotional support at times.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 AM

627 posts, read 1,296,095 times
I read somewhere that women use 20,000 + words per day where men use 7,000 or less.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:37 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think a big part of the problem lies in the fact that, apparently, if a woman verbalizes anything other than sunshine, rainbows, and light, it's considered "whining."
Either that or "drama."

It's a huge generalization, but men and women are socialized to communicate differently. Women talk to create a bond and share experience, men talk to convey information and prove status. Even on these boards you'll see more men than women try to "win" a discussion.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:37 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Some suggestions:

Sorry, honey. That stinks. Did you find a different spot?
Ugh, how annoying. I hate it when people do that.
I wish I was with you. I would have given that person a piece of my mind.
What a jerk! I'm sorry you had a rough day.
These are good suggestions BTW. It acknowledges her feelings but it doesn't "baby" her by asking if there is anything you can do for her. However, when somebody has asked me if there was anything they could do for me, I kindly refused.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Now, let me turn the table. What makes you think women DO listen to men? I have news for you, often women do believe they listen but that is not the case. Both gender get frustrated becase the other does not get the point and spin it into "you do not listen" and then clam up, take care.
Women do listen. They just dont hear.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:14 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times
I guess the old "battle between the sexes" is still going on today.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:19 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Han View Post
I read somewhere that women use 20,000 + words per day where men use 7,000 or less.
Not sure on the numbers, but I heard the same.

Some women talk too damn much. Some men tune us out. Our stories are detailed and long.

Like "Dave Chappelle" said, fix me a sandwich, tickle my bells and shut the fck up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships