Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 02:20 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

For those who haven't heard the breaking news, now we know what was behind the Governator and Maria Shriver's breakup last week:

Schwarzenegger: I fathered a secret child - TODAY News - TODAY.com

While I'm sure Arnold had many reasons to keep such a secret, he may ultimately just been trying to keep his family intact.

But I think a man is MORE likely to accomplish that if he comes clean from the get-go.

While a lot of women would have kicked a husband like this to the curb upon first finding out about the affair and child, I just think confessing from the beginning is his only shot at being forgiven and having his wife work with him to save the marriage.

Arnold has kept this secret 10 YEARS. And I'm betting he only told it now as a preemptive strike - someone was about to go public with it or maybe even try to blackmail him.

So, here's my question...do you think men in this position are better off coming clean early on - or do you understand them sitting on it, forever if possible, in order to keep their family together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:22 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,912 times
early on, something like this where a child is involved is going to come out

Old 05-17-2011, 02:25 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
So, here's my question...do you think men in this position are better off coming clean early on - or do you understand them sitting on it, forever if possible, in order to keep their family together?
As a politician and public figure, I'd say sit on it.

As a husband and father, I'd say divulge ASAP.

Tough call.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:28 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Early on. Think of how this kid will feel when he/she is older and discovers that their father kept them as a dirty little secret from the world.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:32 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
You know for some reason that tv show the good wife came to mind. sorry .

Old 05-17-2011, 02:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Early on. Think of how this kid will feel when he/she is older and discovers that their father kept them as a dirty little secret from the world.

My thoughts exactly (man you and I think alike often!)

Due to his fathers actions this poor innocent kid will grow up with potentally all kinds of issues (rejection, abandonment, disconnectedness, etc).

Arnold's kids were still pretty young 10 years ago, THAT was the time to introduce a new sibling and the changes in their family. They too are now likely suffering all kinds of turmoil, mostly feeling betrayed by the man they trusted most.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:40 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
For those who haven't heard the breaking news, now we know what was behind the Governator and Maria Shriver's breakup last week:

Schwarzenegger: I fathered a secret child - TODAY News - TODAY.com

While I'm sure Arnold had many reasons to keep such a secret, he may ultimately just been trying to keep his family intact.

But I think a man is MORE likely to accomplish that if he comes clean from the get-go.

While a lot of women would have kicked a husband like this to the curb upon first finding out about the affair and child, I just think confessing from the beginning is his only shot at being forgiven and having his wife work with him to save the marriage.

Arnold has kept this secret 10 YEARS. And I'm betting he only told it now as a preemptive strike - someone was about to go public with it or maybe even try to blackmail him.

My dad had a love child..
We learned later on about this
We knew who she was. and she knew who we were and she knew my dad was her dad
I've never called her sister..I never thought of her as a sister
I seen her a while back ago...I was with my friend at the time and we had this friend named Charles, he brought her over and introduced us to her..She was Charles' cousin..
My friend notices she kept staring at me..so when we were alone I told my friend the story..

The truth came out because my brother start dating her sister..

My dad never admitted it to us..but he never denied it either

Arnold dont owe the world an explanation..Only Maria

Old 05-17-2011, 02:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
I read that her friends were saying she'd been unhappy for years, but didn't make a move before her parents died and he was done with being a governor. Most of these marriages have already ended some time ago, but that's only announced when politically convenient. She might've had suspicions about this child, too, even though in this case she wouldn't have kept this woman working for them until very recently, one would think... Arnold has very distinctive features… It’s hard to believe the child looks nothing like him, unless the husband of this woman happens to have similar features.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:41 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
We all know politicians/public figures are all about their reputation and how they are viewed by the public ie..voters. Arnold keeping this secret was more about protecting his political career than keeping his marriage intact. Ironic how this comes about as soon as his political career has ended.

How scandalous can you be to look your wife and children in the face all the while knowing you fathered a child with a house staffer who still continued to work (right under Maria's nose) all those years afterwards?!

Not to mention the secret child that has suddenly been thrown into the spotlight for the media to try to discover and hound. Poor kid. He/she didn't ask for this.

He would have been forgiven by the public much easier had he come out early on. Now he looks likes a real snake for deceiving his family all those years.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:43 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
We all know politicians/public figures are all about their reputation and how they are viewed by the public ie..voters. Arnold keeping this secret was more about protecting his political career than keeping his marriage intact. Ironic how this comes about as soon as his political career has ended.

How scandalous can you be to look your wife and children in the face all the while knowing you fathered a child with a house staffer who still continued to work (right under Maria's nose) all those years afterwards?!

Not to mention the secret child that has suddenly been thrown into the spotlight for the media to try to discover and hound. Poor kid. He/she didn't ask for this.

He would have been forgiven by the public much easier had he come out early on. Now he looks likes a real snake for deceiving his family all those years.
yep, pretty sad sight all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships