Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 07:53 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

RICHMOND, Va. - For years, Toinetta Jones played the dating game by her mom's strict rule.

"Mom always told me, 'Don't you ever bring a white man home,'" recalled Jones, echoing an edict issued by many Southern, black mothers.

But at 37, the Alexandria divorcee has shifted to dating "anyone who asks me out," regardless of race.

"I don't sit around dreaming about the perfect black man I'm going to marry," Jones said.

Black women around the country also are reconsidering deep-seated reservations toward interracial relationships, reservations rooted in America's history of slavery and segregation.

More black women consider 'dating out' - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 08-05-2007, 09:42 AM

292 posts, read 993,663 times
I'm glad they are considering this. I've always wondered about the reasons behind the taboo.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:47 PM

562 posts, read 660,145 times
I tried to date a black woman once. She said no because I was white. I said does that mean just because I am white? She said yes, and for no other reason. Blacks women have always been told to date/marry within their race or be segregated by their own race. Whites do the same, yet it is the whites who are always called racist?

Old 08-05-2007, 01:35 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
I shake my head wondering if this country will ever change. My hope is that one day this country will be the beautiful blend of many races and colors - this may not be a popular thought right now. Hopefully one day in the future there won't be such a thing as racism - this is so detrimental to us.

I think if someone wants to date out of their race, they should do so because they are genuinely interested in the other person.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:49 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
This country is so hung up on black and white. There is no mention of the interracial relationships between black women and other people who aren't black (Latinos, Middle Easterners etc.). They bring up this subject every couple of years or so, so it's hardly anything new. We have our preferences just like anybody else.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 AM

144 posts, read 419,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
I tried to date a black woman once. She said no because I was white. I said does that mean just because I am white? She said yes, and for no other reason. Blacks women have always been told to date/marry within their race or be segregated by their own race. Whites do the same, yet it is the whites who are always called racist?
You do realize that her rudeness and preference doesn't represent the masses.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,325 times
I am a white person, but I don't think that there is anything wrong if the black person dates white person etc. I am married to a Hispanic. And I really don't care what anybody else says. I hope one day we won't have racial issues...It would be so nice...

Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 PM

114 posts, read 399,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
RICHMOND, Va. - For years, Toinetta Jones played the dating game by her mom's strict rule.

"Mom always told me, 'Don't you ever bring a white man home,'" recalled Jones, echoing an edict issued by many Southern, black mothers.
How about Asian man?Her mom has no problem with it?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:36 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post

Lmao....Black women were always told to stay in their race because back in the day they would of got beat or killed. That philosophy was passed on for generations after generation based on protection not racism. Plus, I don't see anything worng with what she said. I think you confuse preference over racism. Maybe she wants someone that will understand the issues she'll face in the real world, someone who can identify with her life experiences and communicate. Muslims do it, Hindu's do it, Catholics do it, Jewish do it, why now is it an issue???

Old 08-07-2007, 10:09 PM

562 posts, read 660,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Lmao....Black women were always told to stay in their race because back in the day they would of got beat or killed. That philosophy was passed on for generations after generation based on protection not racism. Plus, I don't see anything worng with what she said. I think you confuse preference over racism. Maybe she wants someone that will understand the issues she'll face in the real world, someone who can identify with her life experiences and communicate. Muslims do it, Hindu's do it, Catholics do it, Jewish do it, why now is it an issue???
Funny thing about your last sentence is that none of those groups of people are a race, they are religious groups.

I didn't confuse a thing - she said she would have dated me if I were black because she liked me otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships