Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:38 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
They're not men, they're insecure little boys.
Or just full of malarkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 05:52 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Look, if you're not being asked out, how would you know that you are attractive? The only way for people to tell how attractive they are is from feedback from other people. The mirror is no help. I look in my mirror and I look pretty hot some days and pretty stinky on others. Some days I look 10 years older than my age and other days I look 20 years younger. I always look thinner to myself than I really am and can only tell how fat I am by looking at a photo. Beautiful women who are very shy are even less likely to know that they're beautiful than a much more outgoing woman. Beautiful women who were married for the last 10 years to a man who left them for another woman are not likely to know that they're gorgeous--they probably feel downright homely and then if they're shy and no one is asking them out. . . Your contention could not be more false. And esp the one about hot people lacking personalities. They have one just like everyone else and in equal measures of bad and good--it's just that people like you are more likely to take offense when they're shy b/c you already have a chip on your shoulder where they are concerned.

Chip on my shoulder? Hardly, dear. Some people will try to boost the self-esteem of others, even if the feedback isn't true. Most attractive people do lack personalities since they've had people praising them they're entire lives.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:40 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
It works for some, but it's not for everyone.
It works for many of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Obviously.
Agreed.

Quote:
Chip on my shoulder? Hardly, dear. Some people will try to boost the self-esteem of others, even if the feedback isn't true. Most attractive people do lack personalities since they've had people praising them they're entire lives.
Everyone has a personality. You might not find it compatible with your own, but we all have one. To make such a statement as you have, only creates the impression that you are unable to relate to someone that might be more secure and confident than yourself. Honestly, there are so many people that are attractive inside and out, that such a statement is simply laughable.

A "chip"? Nay...a ball and chain is more like it.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
To make such a statement as you have, only creates the impression that you are unable to relate to someone that might be more secure and confident than yourself.

I don't know many that are secure and confident than myself. Too many care what others think and I'm the exact opposite. I don't care what anyone thinks. That is exactly what confidence is. Just because you want to avoid reality doesn't make what I say any less true.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
And making a statement like that isn't boosting your self esteem off of others?!

That came across as total sour grapes, and is utterly untrue. I know a lot of VERY good looking women with great, kind, outgoing personalities who are also very successful professionally.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And making a statement like that isn't boosting your self esteem off of others?!

That came across as total sour grapes, and is utterly untrue. I know a lot of VERY good looking women with great, kind, outgoing personalities who are also very successful professionally.

No, it's not doing it off others. I believe I'm confident and secure. Has nothing to do with others. Just because I don't care what anyone thinks and most others do doesn't mean I'm boosting my self-esteem off others.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
I've heard many people boast that they don't care what others think, but I've found that actually, deep down inside, they really do. Because generally, people who are not sociopaths really do care what others think of them. They may not let others' opinions influence their actions, but they care. They may not care what most of the world thinks, but they care about the opinion of those closest to them, or those in a social group that they aspire to. I don't see not caring what people think as a sign of confidence; I see it as a sign of bravado.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I've heard many people boast that they don't care what others think, but I've found that actually, deep down inside, they really do. Because generally, people who are not sociopaths really do care what others think of them. They may not let others' opinions influence their actions, but they care. They may not care what most of the world thinks, but they care about the opinion of those closest to them, or those in a social group that they aspire to. I don't see not caring what people think as a sign of confidence; I see it as a sign of bravado.

The term sociopath is thrown around like it's no one's business. Most people couldn't even properly describe a sociopath. Soomeone that has no reagrd for one's feelings, rules, does possibly criminal acts, manipulative, pathological/compulsive lying, no remorse, lack of empathy/sympathy, and promiscuity are all signs of a sociopath. Simply not caring what others think does not make one a sociopath.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I never subscribed to any dating site, but I have looked through a bunch of profiles just to see what kind of girls are out there. I was surprised to see that there were a lot of girls who looked extremely attractive in their photos and a lot of them had a college degree. What I don't understand is why women like that would ever need to resort to online dating. They shouldn't have any problem meeting a guy outside of the internet. It makes me a little suspicious.

Single, no kids, over 6ft, educated, makes good money, attractive

that's a tall order and it's also what those women are looking for. There's nothing suspicious about it at all. In fact take a look at the about my date section on most of these Extremely attractive womens profiles on match.com

There are just as many good looking guys as there are good looking girls and there is a disproportionate amount of men that make good money as compared to women but one thing there is not is a surplus of educated men. In the under 30 crowd the rate of educated women to men these days is approaching 2 to1. Women tend to believe that not only is someone without a college degree stupid but probably not making any money as well. I'll get flamed for saying it but for women it's usually true. for men not so much.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:00 PM

601 posts, read 1,028,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Single, no kids, over 6ft, educated, makes good money, attractive

that's a tall order and it's also what those women are looking for. There's nothing suspicious about it at all. In fact take a look at the about my date section on most of these Extremely attractive womens profiles on match.com

There are just as many good looking guys as there are good looking girls and there is a disproportionate amount of men that make good money as compared to women but one thing there is not is a surplus of educated men. In the under 30 crowd the rate of educated women to men these days is approaching 2 to1. Women tend to believe that not only is someone without a college degree stupid but probably not making any money as well. I'll get flamed for saying it but for women it's usually true. for men not so much.

Yeah, your probably right. It wont be too long until men will become completely obsolete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships