Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:44 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2624 View Post
they have a nurse,maid and a cook
So if there is already a nurse maid and cook, whats all the concern about hiring a maid for your wife. Sounds like you are already staffed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 10:00 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes. I cannot imagine the people I know posting anything about their personal wealth. They might speak in generalities but they would never get specific. Most wouldn't even talk about the value of their house(s).

They'd consider it bad taste and nobody else's business. In that order.
I agree with all that in real life, but not online. No one in real life has a clue how much money we make or have in the bank. On here, who cares? No one knows who we are so it doesn't matter a jot.
You may not be able to imagine that your friends would mention salary online - I'm sure my friends would say the same about me. But actually you never know and I wouldn't discount someone's questions and feelings based on them mentioning financial status.
Would you feel the same distaste if he said he made $60,000 a year? Or is it just that he brought up a figure at all?

Old 01-13-2012, 10:22 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I agree with all that in real life, but not online. No one in real life has a clue how much money we make or have in the bank. On here, who cares? No one knows who we are so it doesn't matter a jot.
You may not be able to imagine that your friends would mention salary online - I'm sure my friends would say the same about me. But actually you never know and I wouldn't discount someone's questions and feelings based on them mentioning financial status.
Would you feel the same distaste if he said he made $60,000 a year? Or is it just that he brought up a figure at all?
I find it odd that he brought it up at all. I havent seen anyone on CD yet state the amount of their income. I've seen "I make 6 figures" or I make a good income. In my opinion right off the bat stating how much you make throws up a flag. And it really has no relavance to the question about hiring a maid and a buttinsky friend.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I find it odd that he brought it up at all. I havent seen anyone on CD yet state the amount of their income. I've seen "I make 6 figures" or I make a good income. In my opinion right off the bat stating how much you make throws up a flag. And it really has no relavance to the question about hiring a maid and a buttinsky friend.
This.

Now my answers to hiring a maid: If you've got the money, why not? You'll have a clean house (hopefully) and the maid will have a job.

Buttinsky friend: Don't read her messages. GF could pull up her big girl panties and tell the "friend" to mind her own business.

The end. VERY easy. Remarkably easy. Why it took such a long post on two different boards only the OP knows.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:29 AM

499 posts, read 892,073 times
i would stay home. i don't like working

Old 01-18-2012, 10:59 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I'd like to know what $800,000 a year job doesn't require the person holding such a high paying position to have at least a basic knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Just sayin'.......
. The spelling especially. Clearly not a graduate from the Dalton school.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:02 AM

354 posts, read 712,408 times
working provides more than just money, as many unwilllingly unemployed people will tell you. it provides a way to socialize, feel productive, and keep mentally stimulated. as for the "paranoid" woman, who cares? why are you givIng her so much power in your relationship?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Wow how nice of you, lol. You'd actually be happy with your woman staying at home...what if she gets bored and needs some 'company'?

Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,338,396 times
If this was authentic, which I'm sure it's not, the OP would seem to have control issues. It's not up to him to decide what she should do with her life. She's not "property", she would be a partner in the marriage and could make decisions about how to spend money.

That is, if he LET her. Why do I get the feeling he would control everything - the checkbook, the car keys, the financial records, hold the passports, etc.? IMO, that's not a marriage.

This is a really creepy post.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:12 AM

90 posts, read 131,552 times
What I'm getting from the original post is that there are different cultural values and that English is probably the poster's second language. Real post or not, it's brought up an interesting discussion.

OP, you are clearly of the mindset that you will provide for your family, your entire family, in the way that suits your standards, values, hardheadedness, whatever. That's great, but what you have to realize is that your girlfriend might not want to be provided for in exactly that way. Your primary job as her husband and life partner is to create the dreams and goals of your marriage together.

Together.

That means listening to her rather than trying to persuade her to embrace your views. If SHE isn't comfortable with full time help, listen and discover what does make her comfortable. If SHE isn't comfortable being an at home wife, find out what does make her comfortable. Maybe she will want to leave her current job but maybe she needs another sort of work to fulfill herself. Believe me, you want a fulfilled spouse. Anything less will draw energy from the marriage.

This could be an opportunity for her to pursue some of her amazing dreams. Do you know what those are? If you don't, sit down and find out.

If this is real and if she reads the replies, what I hope she takes from it is not that she needs to go along quietly with the majority of opinions. Instead, she needs to know that YOU value HER opinion far more than any you might read here. And because of that the TWO of you will blend cultural standards, historical family precedence and your own needs and you will create what works.

And that friend? She's not a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships