Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times

Advertisements

Not sure I believe this. My parents are at 37 years of marriage and counting. Half of my friends have parents in the same boat. My grandparents were married for 62 years until my grandmother passed away. My other grandmother never remarried after she was widowed. I have one aunt in the multiple marriage club. Husband 1 was physically abusive. Husband 2 was verbally abusive. Husband 3 is whipped, and she always gets her way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 03:32 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
I don't know and a lot of them don't see nothing wrong with it either, dragging their kids through this and that the whole way.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
I am absolutely petrified of divorce. If I marry, I want it to be for life so either I'll take my time finding someone truly compatible or I'll simply stay single... I'm in no rush

I've had so many friends get married without so much as a second thought, focusing more on the wedding than actually being married... I'm the opposite. I'm excited about being married and spending the rest of my life with the man I love. I see the same attitudes with having boyfriends and girlfriends. People meet, date, have sex and call each other boyfriend/girlfriend And say i love you after a week or so. It takes me months to even consider someone my boyfriend! I have friends that have a new boyfriend every few weeks and it just seems odd to me.

Perhaps our throw away consumerist lifestyles are starting to affect our social relationship, as another poster mentioned?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:53 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
MAmericans are avid consumers. They would rather have a bunch of cheap things rather than save up and purchase one really nice thing. That sense of "gotta have it!" prevails even when it comes to partners, and they make all the wrong choices based on superficial, temporal things, such as looks, money, style, profession, etc.

When those temporal things fade away, they're left with a bum steer. Or, they can't find anything to appreciate in their partner, even though it might be there. "My current wife is willing to take care of me in my golden years? Scr*w that! I want a twenty-year-old hottie/my old GF from high school I connected with on Facebook/the woman at the office, and I want her NOW."

Americans don't see with the heart. They assess with their eyes and what's in their wallet (or what's not in it). Their judgment is further clouded by romantic movies, books and music that lauds limerence over loyalty, never knowing that real love is nothing like that.

And pardon me if I sound as though I'm generalizing; I realize that this is not true for all people in the U.S. BTW, my S.O. is not American.
I am not offended by this post because it is completely true.

You forgot to add...Americans can be super stupid and easily led by the nose.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:16 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
My family is not from the U.S., and although I was born here, I have strong European roots. What I've noticed:

Most dyed-in-the-wool Americans are avid consumers. They would rather have a bunch of cheap things rather than save up and purchase one really nice thing. That sense of "gotta have it!" prevails even when it comes to partners, and they make all the wrong choices based on superficial, temporal things, such as looks, money, style, profession, etc.

When those temporal things fade away, they're left with a bum steer. Or, they can't find anything to appreciate in their partner, even though it might be there. "My current wife is willing to take care of me in my golden years? Scr*w that! I want a twenty-year-old hottie/my old GF from high school I connected with on Facebook/the woman at the office, and I want her NOW."

Americans don't see with the heart. They assess with their eyes and what's in their wallet (or what's not in it). Their judgment is further clouded by romantic movies, books and music that lauds limerence over loyalty, never knowing that real love is nothing like that.

And pardon me if I sound as though I'm generalizing; I realize that this is not true for all people in the U.S. BTW, my S.O. is not American.
This is totally true. Totally dead on.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post
It seems that a lot marry 2, 3 or even more times...why so many compared to the rest of the world?
Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience. (and subsequent...)

Oscar Wilde

Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
We are eternal optimists
Yes indeed. Most everyone wants to be happy and sharing their lives with another. Not seeking it means 100% chance of never having it.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:47 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
My family is not from the U.S., and although I was born here, I have strong European roots. What I've noticed:

Most dyed-in-the-wool Americans are avid consumers. That sense of "gotta have it!" prevails even when it comes to partners, and they make all the wrong choices based on superficial, temporal things, such as looks, money, style, profession, etc.

Americans don't see with the heart.

Ditto on the bold. Yep, we live in a society that puts being able to dispose of things, including people, on its "front burner." Not much divorce in my family, on either side of the ocean, even in the current generation. Also, most of my smart college friends have not divorced, but friends who married high school sweethearts right after the prom and whomever they met in a bar have divorced. What I can't get over is the "ought to be on Jerry Springer" divorcees...countless times...who would marry them after such "clutter?"

Old 02-29-2012, 05:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Because a lot of Americans have no morals these days, don't know what love is, or are just treating marriage like it's a game.

For sure, and all the countries where the woman or the guy stays with the cheating or abusive spouse has so many morals. Don't play it off that Americans are the ones with no morals, we just stand for a lot less crap. Sorry if in other cultures it is normal for a guy to have an affair, or if in other countries it is so looked down upon to get a divorce that they would be outcasted regardless of circumstances.

I'll choose America.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post
It seems that a lot marry 2, 3 or even more times...why so many compared to the rest of the world?
Are you asking because you're genuinely concerned or are you just using the question to point out what lowlifes you think we are compared to the rest of the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships