Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 03:47 PM

3,985 posts, read 5,017,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
That's where you're wrong, you pointed out those 3 fellows you know who got married for the wrong reasons. That's unbelievably common. I'm only 27 so I'm at the point where a lot of my long time friends and acquaintances are marrying, I'm bombarded with it in real life and Facebook. I based nothing I sad on what I saw on TV, only life experience.

America has a 50% divorce rate. That statistic doesn't report unhappily married people who stay together because of their kids or religious reasons so the unhappy marriage rate would be far higher than the rate of happily married people. Just think of your own life and happily married people you know who have been together at least a decade, its very low.

Love is like a drug then it fades away. People are sickeningly in love when they get married then they just fall out of it and get sick of each other. Deciding to get married because you're in love is as stupid as if I made major life decisions when blinding drunk, in neither circumstance would I be thinking logically. People are morons and mistakenly think that whatever they are feeling at a particular moment will be how they will feel their entire lives, its why people are idiots.
I don't know if I'm happy or sad that you based your view on experience. And I agree that statistics don't cover all the other scenarios. AND... I agree with your assessment about love in the sense that it shouldn't be the only factor to make a life committment to someone. But let's face it, without it, you probably won't be as happy as you'd like to be.

NOW...people are indeed idiots...I just don't think that Americans need to take that title as Top Idiot. People are people everywhere and make mistakes...I get that you're saying Americans have specific issues to America whereas another country may not face that same issue.

It just makes me sad that so many people out there are jaded. There are so many games played. Superficial and narcisstic attitudes are everywhere. I really feel like a relic...and perhaps that's why I hold onto hope that future generations can turn this around...who knows if it's possible.

I'm thankful for what I have though and realize that I'm a rarity. In the face of all that we've mentioned here, I held onto my marriage... even my freaking parents think I should get a divorce b/c my hubs is not currently working. I make enough and am not worried about it...but we've faced major illnesses and challenges beyond belief together. I wouldn't trade it for a hotter body, a newer car, a bigger house...for anything in the world. Although we just celebrated 14 years of marriage, we've been together for 21 years and were friends 2-3 years before that. I'm actually proud of that fact. I still get "nervous" when I see him...can't wait to be home. We've figured out what works for us and while it wasn't always easy, being with him IS easy. I wouldn't want it any other way.

My point is that while divorce seems on the rise, starter marriages are common, reality shows and social networks emphasize the fastfood way we do things here, I still believe if individuals actually care about their marriage, they will make it work and find a good solid way to be happy.

End of speech... sorry about that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 04:43 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,719,893 times
Americans are stupid optimists.

Men just keep on giving women their money.

1 out of 2 marriages end in divorce.

2 out of 3 marriages end in divorce in California.

To you guys who are thinking of getting married:

If you're married to your wife 10 years or more, you have to pay her alimony for the REST of her life or until she remarries.

If you INSIST on getting married which I do not recommend, get a prenup or asset protection plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships