Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:41 PM

649 posts, read 1,133,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
My family is not from the U.S., and although I was born here, I have strong European roots. What I've noticed:

Most dyed-in-the-wool Americans are avid consumers. They would rather have a bunch of cheap things rather than save up and purchase one really nice thing. That sense of "gotta have it!" prevails even when it comes to partners, and they make all the wrong choices based on superficial, temporal things, such as looks, money, style, profession, etc.

When those temporal things fade away, they're left with a bum steer. Or, they can't find anything to appreciate in their partner, even though it might be there. "My current wife is willing to take care of me in my golden years? Scr*w that! I want a twenty-year-old hottie/my old GF from high school I connected with on Facebook/the woman at the office, and I want her NOW."

Americans don't see with the heart. They assess with their eyes and what's in their wallet (or what's not in it). Their judgment is further clouded by romantic movies, books and music that lauds limerence over loyalty, never knowing that real love is nothing like that.

And pardon me if I sound as though I'm generalizing; I realize that this is not true for all people in the U.S. BTW, my S.O. is not American.
wow, you really got our number...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 02:37 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Lets not mingle Hollywood with real life. I think as adults we know the difference in real life and romantic fantasies. They are fantasies because we know they are likely unattainable, like winning the lottery and having super powers. I think the problem is getting two people together that both understand that reality takes commitment, patience, and work.
Not all adults do apparently.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,220 times
Americans are unbelievable morons. The women just want their "dream wedding" and don't even care who the guy is. The guy is usually a desperate loser who never gets laid and just gets married because he can't get another girl. This describes my brother and his idiot wife to a T and so many millions more.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Americans are unbelievable morons. The women just want their "dream wedding" and don't even care who the guy is. The guy is usually a desperate loser who never gets laid and just gets married because he can't get another girl. This describes my brother and his idiot wife to a T and so many millions more.
You know, reality TV really isn't reality at all . . .

Old 03-02-2012, 09:30 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
joke by an older female stand up comedian.
"my GF's used to marry to get rich now they divorce to get rich."
why do guys marry over and over, bek church & family keeps saying "u gota do the right thing."
they should listen to carmen jovet, "moms, coach your sons to get a prenup."

Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
You know, reality TV really isn't reality at all . . .
Only reality show I remember remotely like that is Beauty and the Geek and they don't get married at the end. It's reality for middle-upper class Americans. Other people get married because they live in such a small town they'll never meet anyone else or they knock someone up/get knocked up.

As for why good looking rich male celebrities get married, my best guess is they want publicity and know they can afford a divorce. Most A-list hunks are also morons too stupid to know they're being manipulated by everyone and that they'll end up cheating since perfect model women throw themselves at him at least 10x a day.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:19 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
Quote:
Only reality show I remember remotely like that is Beauty and the Geek and they don't get married at the end.
Almost EVERY reality show is about self-centered idiots that don't give a crap who they married:

The Bachelor/ette
Bridezillas
Basketball Wives
The real housewives of [insert disgustingly rich neighborhood here]
All 37 Kardashian shows

I'm sure someone more familiar with terrible reality TV could round out the list.

On the other hand, many upper-middle class couples remain happily married for many many years.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:01 PM

3,985 posts, read 5,017,275 times
Quote:
Just because your family are idiots does not make all Americans idiots. There is definitely a problem with indiscriminate marrying and quick divorces. The reasons are many, but generalizing is irritating.

However, even though I don't know anyone that resembles a "bridezilla", I know they're out there. AND...I knew THREE guys who married just because they thought since they were getting older that they should. And their choices were not exactly "choice". Two are now divorced and trash the whole marriage concept. They were idiots, no doubt, but I still can't generalize that Americans as a whole are that way.

It's hard to believe that you'd (and I don't mean you specifically) base your future on what you see in the movies or what you see on "reality" tv. It boggles my mind.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:31 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Why? Most get married at an age that is too young. This is what is called a "starter marriage" particularly in flyover country.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Almost EVERY reality show is about self-centered idiots that don't give a crap who they married:

The Bachelor/ette
Bridezillas
Basketball Wives
The real housewives of [insert disgustingly rich neighborhood here]
All 37 Kardashian shows

I'm sure someone more familiar with terrible reality TV could round out the list.

On the other hand, many upper-middle class couples remain happily married for many many years.
The post I responded to was about nerdly 40 yr old virgin types who get married to hot women, not just random married celebs where the guy is as good looking as his girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Just because your family are idiots does not make all Americans idiots. There is definitely a problem with indiscriminate marrying and quick divorces. The reasons are many, but generalizing is irritating.

However, even though I don't know anyone that resembles a "bridezilla", I know they're out there. AND...I knew THREE guys who married just because they thought since they were getting older that they should. And their choices were not exactly "choice". Two are now divorced and trash the whole marriage concept. They were idiots, no doubt, but I still can't generalize that Americans as a whole are that way.

It's hard to believe that you'd (and I don't mean you specifically) base your future on what you see in the movies or what you see on "reality" tv. It boggles my mind.
That's where you're wrong, you pointed out those 3 fellows you know who got married for the wrong reasons. That's unbelievably common. I'm only 27 so I'm at the point where a lot of my long time friends and acquaintances are marrying, I'm bombarded with it in real life and Facebook. I based nothing I sad on what I saw on TV, only life experience.

America has a 50% divorce rate. That statistic doesn't report unhappily married people who stay together because of their kids or religious reasons so the unhappy marriage rate would be far higher than the rate of happily married people. Just think of your own life and happily married people you know who have been together at least a decade, its very low.

Love is like a drug then it fades away. People are sickeningly in love when they get married then they just fall out of it and get sick of each other. Deciding to get married because you're in love is as stupid as if I made major life decisions when blinding drunk, in neither circumstance would I be thinking logically. People are morons and mistakenly think that whatever they are feeling at a particular moment will be how they will feel their entire lives, its why people are idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships