Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 AM

258 posts, read 160,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
attraction exclusively to those OUTSIDE one's race is a bit stranger, as it generally would not happen in nature).
So Human Beings are outside the natural order? Interesting.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic! View Post
So Human Beings are outside the natural order? Interesting.
In some ways culture has altered our behaviour and programmed our brains. I think human beings were created like open-source computer programmes, programming to a specific way of thinking.

Liking individuals of OTHER races is natural, mixing has gone on from the dawn of humanity. Besides, we're all one big family, and race is a concept.

But having a preference only for the different is a bit unusual...it's still valid, but it's a product of social conditioning.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Since you're blind I'm assuming your attraction to women of colour is not based on appearances but other factors. I'm curious, if you're willing to share, what attracts you to non-white women and not white women? I perfectly respect your decision (although I still stand by my previous comment: attraction exclusively to those OUTSIDE one's race is a bit stranger, as it generally would not happen in nature).
Speaking purely physically, there are ways to tell race without sight. I can often tell race through facial features, hair texture, body curvature, and as strange as this may sound to some, I think that some of the genetics involved in race also affect pheromones. I think some women of color actually have a distinct flavor to their natural scent that white women don't have, that I find attractive.

I'm not saying all women of color smell one way and all white women smell another way, but it's just like there are some commonalities among women of color visually, in spite of all the diversity you will also find, I think there might be some common features among them in terms of scent as well. I don't know if there is any science to back this up or if it's all in my head, but I do find that I am attracted to the scents associated with women of color more so than those associated with white women.

For what it's worth, I also notice that a lot of people who use wheelchairs because of a genetic neuromuscular condition often give off a different scent from people who don't have a genetic neuromuscular condition. Every person I've met with a neuromuscular condition (wheelchair or no wheelchair) has had a particular "flavor" to their natural body scent. I wish I had words to describe these scents, but language is extremely vision-biased and severely lacking in terms that describe scents. I've found myself attracted to a lot of wheelchair users as well (before even knowing they were in a wheelchair lol), both white and of color, and I think it might have to do with how I experience attraction through my sense of smell.

I should clarify my attraction to women of color isn't completely exclusive. I find some white women attractive. I just find women of color--especially mixed women--attractive much more often.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Speaking purely physically, there are ways to tell race without sight. I can often tell race through facial features, hair texture, body curvature, and as strange as this may sound to some, I think that some of the genetics involved in race also affect pheromones. I think some women of color actually have a distinct flavor to their natural scent that white women don't have, that I find attractive.

I'm not saying all women of color smell one way and all white women smell another way, but it's just like there are some commonalities among women of color visually, in spite of all the diversity you will also find, I think there might be some common features among them in terms of scent as well. I don't know if there is any science to back this up or if it's all in my head, but I do find that I am attracted to the scents associated with women of color more so than those associated with white women.

For what it's worth, I also notice that a lot of people who use wheelchairs because of a genetic neuromuscular condition often give off a different scent from people who don't have a genetic neuromuscular condition. Every person I've met with a neuromuscular condition (wheelchair or no wheelchair) has had a particular "flavor" to their natural body scent. I wish I had words to describe these scents, but language is extremely vision-biased and severely lacking in terms that describe scents. I've found myself attracted to a lot of wheelchair users as well, both white and of color, and I think it might have to do with how I experience attraction through my sense of smell.
You know, as un-PC as it is to say that you may be right. It's well known that Asian people, for instance, have less BO than white people. I also think it's possible their BO is slightly different. But I won't get into that. Would not surprise me the same subtle difference exists among blacks, and being blind, you'd better be able to tell that difference.

The hair thing...yes if a black women keeps her natural hair, you could easily tell by running a hand through her hair.

Perhaps it's also what you're used, going back to the scent thing.

The last part is very interesting.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:51 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
No. Your entire premise is wrong. Not being attracted to someone on a sexual/physical level because of race is just preference. Not doing business with them,ie,sell them something. Rent them something. Loan them money because of thier skin color would be racist.Lets not take political correctness too far and label someone a racist when in reality they "just like what they like!"
I think the OP makes a good point. Who's to say that not wanting to do business with someone on the basis of race isn't a matter of preference as well? What is so unique about dating that everything suddenly comes down to preference? Would not the preference argument extend to other social realms beyond dating?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Bobman, the 3 pages has run it's course - we're down to beer and salt for the popcorn. No OP - who interestingly enough made this comment in another thread...and a question/comment is below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
I'm 21 and I've never had a serious girlfriend before. I'm still a virgin so my luck with women's been pretty poor too.

When I asked for tips about dating, most people just told me to "get out there" and "try harder". That doesn't work. Even though there won't be any negative effects, but it'll be a really big waste of time because for guys like us, the best way for to meet girls is through social activities and other friends (they could play matchmaker or something).
Question for Malkiel:
Have you tried branching out in order to expand your dating repertoire?

Comment:
Maybe you should.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I think the OP makes a good point. Who's to say that not wanting to do business with someone on the basis of race isn't a matter of preference as well? What is so unique about dating that everything suddenly comes down to preference? Would not the preference argument extend to other social realms beyond dating?
Preferences can be totally moulded. The boom in female homosexuality (lesbian/bisexual chic) is a result of social changes. A fetish for say Asian women among white men, is also a result of a recent social change. There are, of course, underlying reasons for these preferences.

But yes, that's actually a very good point. What if someone said, 'I've nothing against black people, but I would just prefer not to dine with them?' I suppose not dating someone doesn't impose upon their rights, but not dating someone does, wherein there lies the difference.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 AM

748 posts, read 1,314,447 times
Quote:
Preferences can be totally moulded. The boom in female homosexuality (lesbian/bisexual chic) is a result of social changes. A fetish for say Asian women among white men, is also a result of a recent social change. There are, of course, underlying reasons for these preferences.

But yes, that's actually a very good point. What if someone said, 'I've nothing against black people, but I would just prefer not to dine with them?' I suppose not dating someone doesn't impose upon their rights, but not dating someone does, wherein there lies the difference.
hmmm... not to side track darling, but the boom? IF by that you mean that more females feel more confortable acknowledging publicly that they are in fact homosexual, that is a good point. HOWEVER, if you are trying to say that being homosexual for a female is a thing of fashion and social change... well... we might have to start a whole new thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeeighty2 View Post
hmmm... not to side track darling, but the boom? IF by that you mean that more females feel more confortable acknowledging publicly that they are in fact homosexual, that is a good point. HOWEVER, if you are trying to say that being homosexual for a female is a thing of fashion and social change... well... we might have to start a whole new thread
I already started that.

Put it this way...

If homosexual behaviour in predominantly straight individuals is a seed, both men and women have it.

In terms of cultural reinforcement...

with women it's been flooded with rain and piled with manure

With men it's been starved so it shrivels up and dies

For the doubters a cross-cultural studies proves bisexuality has been a feature of many societies across time in both men and women.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
When I was on match I was approached by several black men. I was obviously flattered but it's something I'm not interested in nor would my family accept. One guy ripped me to shreds saying its 2011 and racisim still exists??? I was like sorry dude, but no can do. Oh well
That sounds a lot closer to racism. It sounds to me like one of the key reasons you won't date out is because your family hates it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships