Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:47 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
What is your degree in? Where'd you get it? Unless it's from a top Ivy, I guarantee I went to a better school than you. So I could easily view you as a 'LOSER'. But I don't see you as lesser than me. You see where this is going?
I have dated guys without degrees. That is not the issue. The issue is the lack of the degree combined with having had kids out of wedlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestyn View Post
It sounds like the free site isn't working out for you. Have you considered using a pay site where there is more of a barrier to entry?
I do use pay sites too and don't run into this problem. Like I said, I would leave POF altogether, but I get lots of messages there and occasionally there are some good profiles. I was just browsing and saw that a guy I've been checking out at work is on there. I was assuming that he had a degree and most likely no kids, but I didn't know he was single and on POF.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:56 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
This is another online dating rant. Everytime I go on POF, I get angry. I don't know if it's just my city (I'm on the East Coast), but there seems to be a very large number of undesirable, bottom of the barrel type men on that site, and they keep sending me messages! The main things I notice on dating profiles are:

1. Photos
2. Age
3. Education
4. Does he have kids?

All four of these things have to be acceptable otherwise I am not interested. I'm routinely contacted by men who didn't go to college AND they have kids. Either of those things alone wouldn't be ideal, but put them together and it's much worse. I just don't understand why these guys think I'd even be interested in them considering that I'm a college educated professional woman with no children. I'm attractive and in shape and definitely not desperate enough to date them. They have absolutely nothing to offer me and I really wish they would stop wasting my time with their stupid, grammatically incorrect messages! Seriously, I just can't deal with it. I know that POF is the most popular free site and occasionally, I'll be contacted by a decent guy which is why I'm reluctant to leave the site altogether, but the majority of these men truly make me sick. I understand that not everyone is intelligent/fortunate/responsible enough to get a college degree or to not have kids out of wedlock, but they need to just focus on women on their own level and leave me alone. It's really ticking me off that I have to immediately block like 98% of the men who contact me on that site. I'd write this up in my profile, but I know I would just sound bitter and end up turning off the men who I do want, and these idiots who I don't want would still keep contacting me anyway.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I'm fed up and this is how I feel. Has anyone else experienced this issue with POF? I know the site automatically allows you to block messages from certain users based on age, distance, etc., but I would really love it if they added filters for education level and parental status as well.
So everyone who has the I'm better than everyone else because I have a piece of paper from a college that says I am.........should take their attitude out into the real world and see how that goes. At least on POF someone will actually contact someone without actually meeting in real life. With an attitude like that in the real world if it was put there in words no guy in his right mind would even make the initial approach let alone stay very long after he did.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:56 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post

Please don't call me a loser... I didn't go to an Ivy League school...
I don't care if you didn't have a degree. I would go out with you for sure!

Quote:
I have dated guys without degrees. That is not the issue. The issue is the lack of the degree combined with having had kids out of wedlock.
People are free to date whoever they want. Just try not to sound too pretentious about it. Like Yzette said, if that's how you think, IT WILL come out of your mouth one day, and it will **** off the wrong people.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
This is another online dating rant. Everytime I go on POF, I get angry. I don't know if it's just my city (I'm on the East Coast), but there seems to be a very large number of undesirable, bottom of the barrel type men on that site, and they keep sending me messages! The main things I notice on dating profiles are:

1. Photos
2. Age
3. Education
4. Does he have kids?

All four of these things have to be acceptable otherwise I am not interested. I'm routinely contacted by men who didn't go to college AND they have kids. Either of those things alone wouldn't be ideal, but put them together and it's much worse. I just don't understand why these guys think I'd even be interested in them considering that I'm a college educated professional woman with no children. I'm attractive and in shape and definitely not desperate enough to date them. They have absolutely nothing to offer me and I really wish they would stop wasting my time with their stupid, grammatically incorrect messages! Seriously, I just can't deal with it. I know that POF is the most popular free site and occasionally, I'll be contacted by a decent guy which is why I'm reluctant to leave the site altogether, but the majority of these men truly make me sick. I understand that not everyone is intelligent/fortunate/responsible enough to get a college degree or to not have kids out of wedlock, but they need to just focus on women on their own level and leave me alone. It's really ticking me off that I have to immediately block like 98% of the men who contact me on that site. I'd write this up in my profile, but I know I would just sound bitter and end up turning off the men who I do want, and these idiots who I don't want would still keep contacting me anyway.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I'm fed up and this is how I feel. Has anyone else experienced this issue with POF? I know the site automatically allows you to block messages from certain users based on age, distance, etc., but I would really love it if they added filters for education level and parental status as well.
So a college degree is the sole indicator of success? What are your standards? No one is perfect, And posting on a dating site if you have a photo and are attractive it comes with the territory you are going to get ALL types calling on you.

How about going out to places where you can meet others with similar interests? That way you can meet men in person and get an idea right away. I still think the old-school "get out and circulate" is still king. If you are attractive, dress well and carry yourself well i do not see you having any difficulty meeting a guy who is similar. Just don't be too high maintenence and if A guy is nice and single with no kids-At least talk to him. We never know what we might miss and with whom.

Brooklyn boy's 0.2 cents.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I don't care if you didn't have a degree. I would go out with you for sure!

You're so sweet! I do have a degree - but it's not from an Ivy League school! Not too many Ivy League schools had really good musical theatre departments! Oh - yeah - also, I have a BFA and not a master's... Please, please don't call me a loser!

You know, I used to think online dating was a great idea - but the more I read about it on here - I'm not so sure!

Old 04-08-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So everyone who has the I'm better than everyone else because I have a piece of paper from a college that says I am.........
I don't think I'm "better" than anyone because I have a college degree and no kids out of wedlock. I just simply have zero interest in dating men with those particular qualities. I understand that college isn't for everyone and it's very possible to be intelligent and successful without going. However, men who didn't go to college AND have kids out of wedlock often have a very different value system than what I have. Therefore, I don't think we have anything in common and I'm not interested in getting to know them.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:05 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:

1. Photos
2. Age
3. Education
4. Does he have kids?

i think all the these you listed are important and I don't see nothing wrong with that criteria at all. the men are going judge you and reject you on a hell of a lot less criteria then that. Not that you said it but: I would hold off on calling folks 'bottom of the barrel' if they have less then you. I mean you're not forced to date them, I just wouldn't verbalize such things & make the person feel bad. If a person knows anything about the higher education system it's this: anyone can be a part of it. It is not an exclusive VIP club. If you have the money (or are willing to take out loans) anyone, and I do mean anyone can get accepted to college and earn a degree. Definitely not anything to get a big head over.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
If a person knows anything about the higher education system it's this: anyone can be a part of it. It is not an exclusive VIP club. If you have the money (or are willing to take out loans) anyone, and I do mean anyone can get accepted to college and earn a degree. Definitely not anything to get a big head over.
True. I think having a bachelors degree is pretty basic. It's not that it's impressive, but more like a minimum educational requirement. So when I see that someone doesn't even meet this minimum educational requirement AND they have children AND they present themselves in an undesirable manner in both their photos and writing, why exactly would I ever be interested???

Old 04-08-2012, 01:18 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
That's an awful lot of anger and hatred for some guy just asking you out who doesn't meet your criteria.

I'm not sure why, when all you have to do is ignore them, or say "no thank you."

Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's an awful lot of anger and hatred for some guy just asking you out who doesn't meet your criteria.

I'm not sure why, when all you have to do is ignore them, or say "no thank you."
When it's one loser guy after another all day every day, yes I do get VERY disgusted and annoyed. I ignore and block them. I have blocked hundreds, but I get new ones writing to me every day. It's like they keep multiplying or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships