Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times

Advertisements

If you don't want a fat girlfriend, dont't date fat girls. My guess is you can't get the fit woman that you desire because they are in great demand. So you starting dating a big girl thinking you'd mold her into being the physical type ypu want. Chances are she will not lose weight for you. And let's be honest: even if she did, a higher quality man will come along and take her from you. Be careful what you wish for...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
Well, if he truly loves and cares for her - I can see him trying to help her. There's nothing wrong with that.

I see how some feel it's wrong of him... But he needs to approach her in a sensitive/kind way..

OP, she is her own person though - She's going to do what she wants to do. If she wants to stay overweight, she's going to stay that way. You can't change her. She has to want to change herself. Remember that...

Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
But wait....how do WE know she deserves much better?
We really don't know this.
Easy.

We have is his word that she's a wonderful girlfriend (as stated in another thread), but is overweight.

If she's wonderful, then she doesn't deserve to have somebody who wants to mold and change her to fit his image and/or standards.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:52 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Yes she was. So clearly there's something else I like about her that keeps me around.

Then you need to shut up and accept her for who she is. If you can't do that, then do her the favor of letting her go so she can find someone slightly less assaholic to date.

Yes, I'm being blunt with you. Your posts on this thread are disgustingly rude, so I thought I'd reply in language you can understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
If you don't want a fat girlfriend, dont't date fat girls. My guess is you can't get the fit woman that you desire because they are in great demand. So you starting dating a big girl thinking you'd mold her into being the physical type ypu want. Chances are she will not lose weight for you. And let's be honest: even if she did, a higher quality man will come along and take her from you. Be careful what you wish for...
Exactly.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:04 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So I should accept her as obese? My ideal girlfriend is someone who has a healthy weight. So you're damn right I'm going to change her. She has an inherent medical problem.
I am a big fan of healthy nutrition and exercise, and when i look for a potential date/partner i take that into consideration. did your gf get fat or has she been fat at the time when you met her? its a world of difference.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
What exactly makes you so high and mighty to assess the quality of other people?

Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
I don't beleive he 'truly loves her and cares for her' that's why he wants her to lose weight, he is doing it b/c he wants a barbie -- well then go get a barbie. obviously this woman's not for him.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
OP, she doesn't meet your standards, and may not feel the motivation to lose weight for her own benefit. That's her choice, and of course it's your choice to leave if nothing changes. I didn't read everything here, so don't know if she was already overweight when you started dating, or gained after. If she already was, then you can only blame yourself for dating her, and cannot expect her to change.

I've often noticed that the surest, most reliable and effective way to encourage someone to lose weight is to break up with them. It's almost certain they'll find the motivation to lose weight in order to attract someone new! Why they won't make efforts to stay healthy to KEEP a good relationship (assuming it is, otherwise), but will to find a new one, is one of those mysteries and absurdities of human behavior.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
Why bash this guy for his concerns or opinion just because women are sensitive about the topic doesn't make it ok to bash someone. If he would like her to lose a few lbs so be it; women attempt to mold\iron out men often. Possibly his approach is off but passively addressing issues can not be the answer. OP is dealing with a adult not a child.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:24 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Why bash this guy for his concerns or opinion just because women are sensitive about the topic doesn't make it ok to bash someone. If he would like her to lose a few lbs so be it; women attempt to mold\iron out men often. Possibly his approach is off but passively addressing issues can not be the answer. OP is dealing with a adult not a child.
He's not being "bashed" for concern or opinion on the "sensitive" issue of weight. Posters are just merely pointing out that he made it clear from the get-go that he's doing it for himself and his standards, not for her. His tuned quickly changed upon negative reception.

He started dating an overweight woman (Note: She was already overweight when they started dating). He has "standards" and his ideal is not an "overweight woman". He now wants to mold her into his ideal image.

That's bad.

Add in the the "I should start snorting cocaine" and "I should start smoking" quips only shows that it's about him. She ought to get slim or else if he has to deal with an overweight woman, then she should have to deal with something she doesn't like.

And that's real bad.

Genuine concern for her well-being? That would be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships