Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:46 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times

Advertisements

Don't move. Stop looking for a date. Get involved in activities that you enjoy. Take a class, either to advance your career or just for fun; if you have a dog, then walk at the dog park every day at the same time; if you are religious, join a church and get involved in activities there; if you like sports, join a team. You get the idea. When you stop looking, that's when you will find someone. And, most important, don't settle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 12:46 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,694,209 times
No, not all my life. I was in a 4 yr relationship and we got engaged. didn't work out obviously. I have been on some dates here and there since. But I have not had a meaningful relationship in 8 yrs. God, that sounds so bad!
I grew up in Co Sps, traveled out of state for work, then back here for about a year now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
has this been a problem all your life? I don't know how old you are. Have you lived in Denver all your life?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:47 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
well now according to these men, they don't like the supermodel types and they don't like the 'ugly' types. so who knows anymore.

I assume OP wasn't talking about walking up to a man and asking him to propose to her. I assume obviously she would go into the situation hoping for some kind of connection, but acting like you're not looking for a serious relationship when you are, is pointless to me. All it does, IMO, is make the guy think you're interested then in other kinds of relationships when you're not....and I don't understand you cancelling a date because the girl was 'serious' about the date. But like I said, most of them aren't interested in anything serious anyways.
Trust me, all men LIKE the supermodel types. Most are simply too intimidated to approach them. They come up with amyriad of excuses like, she's too good for me, she must be taken, she wouldnt give me time of a day, i dont have enough money, im not tall enough. Ive known some extremely attractive girls, who were starred at alot but rarely approached.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Or perhaps, you just need to continue trying and the right guy will come along on your next date. I know it can be frustrating, but giving up is never an option.
This. For any number of reasons it can be more challenging for some people than for others, so you just have to keep at it. Do you participate in any clubs, volunteer activities, or weekend sports groups, like hiking, around Denver? That's one way to meet people, though even then, it takes time. Do these activities for your own enrichment, and if at some point you happen to meet someone you get along with well, it's an added bonus.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Trust me, all men LIKE the supermodel types. Most are simply too intimidated to approach them. They come up with amyriad of excuses like, she's too good for me, she must be taken, she wouldnt give me time of a day, i dont have enough money, im not tall enough. Ive known some extremely attractive girls, who were starred at alot but rarely approached.

I know they all like them but try telling Lucario that.....they don't approach them b/c of what you said and also b/c they know they can't get those types. So of course they will 'settle' for something else. ...Not so sure about very attractive women never being approached. I think people tell women that b/c they feel bad. IMO, usually if a woman isn't being approached it's b/c she's ugly to men. (no offense to the OP) just saying in general.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:51 PM

I've only been back and at this job for about a year. I was traveling out of state. That could be a lot of my problem maybe. my close friends don't live here, I'm kind of starting over, I guess you could say. I''m not new to Denver though. I grew up in CO.
I am pretty independent, but I still want a relationship. I can do many things on my own or I know how to get it done if I can't, but it shouldn't make a guy go running for the hills. I still hope to find a partner in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderGirl View Post
Bolded emphasis is mine. This is a bit of a red flag to me. How long have you been there? Why don't you have close friends? Do you perhaps give of a vibe of being too independent? IME, that's a bit of a turnoff for lots of guys.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:51 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
A few questions:

1) How old are you? If you're in your 20s, any indication of looking for something "serious" right off the bat could send a lot of guys fleeing for the exits. Look, I've been there - I came out here on the heels of a disastrous relationship where the guy deliberately kept me in the dark about what his feelings were. When I started dating, I was expecting to "define" things far too early, just because I didn't want to be burned.

2) Do you have an online profile? There are a lot of good guys on the dating sites here. OKC is free and I love it, but PlentyofFish just appears to be a hookup site. Match.com gets boring fast.

3) Where do you hang out? What do you do for fun? The Meetup.org groups for Denver are EXCELLENT. Also, the Rockies games, I've read, are a huge social opportunity (ya know, since they suck, everyone just goes to people watch and flirt). There are also all kinds of league teams and such.

4) Do you have a dog? Dogs are HUGE social lubricants in Denver. Everyone loves them here, and just going to the dog park is likely a flirtation bonanza. (My dogs are old and don't like the dog park, so that's not an option for me.)

Old 06-21-2012, 12:53 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Oooh, and concerts. Definitely take advantage of the concerts here. There's great music, and it gets you out there.

Well, I just joined an independent movie club. and I like doing different things, I just have no one to do them with, so I do many things on my own. Especially traveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. For any number of reasons it can be more challenging for some people than for others, so you just have to keep at it. Do you participate in any clubs, volunteer activities, or weekend sports groups, like hiking, around Denver? That's one way to meet people, though even then, it takes time. Do these activities for your own enrichment, and if at some point you happen to meet someone you get along with well, it's an added bonus.

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
No, not all my life. I was in a 4 yr relationship and we got engaged. didn't work out obviously. I have been on some dates here and there since. But I have not had a meaningful relationship in 8 yrs. God, that sounds so bad!
I grew up in Co Sps, traveled out of state for work, then back here for about a year now.

well it's a shame your engagement didn't work out with that man. NOt sure why it sounds so bad about your singleness, but I guess people judge that like they do everything else to mean something about a person. what else is new.

you say at least you been asked on dates, were engaged, and you're not a bad looking lady at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships