Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:08 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,075 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a break from the dating scene and I'm reevaluting things and trying to polish myself,so that when I put myself back out there I can be a good catch. but i feel like I dont have anything to offer. Yes, I am college educated and have a full time job, but I just dont feel like I have anything to offer in terms of a relationship. Any tips on how to make things better in this department?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:10 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Lets start with why you think you have nothing to offer in terms of relationships?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:13 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
Ha, me too.

I'm just about to finish college. Hoping to get into graduate school. In the meantime, just working a meaningless job. But beyond that? Nothing. Just another face in a sea full of faces.

Advice?

Just realize that perhaps you don't have to be a "good catch" or "offer anything". He/she should want to be with you because he/she likes who you are.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:19 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
IMO - be yourself, be confident and don't worry about what you do or don't have to offer.

If anyone doesn't appreciate you for you it's their loss.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:22 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Lets start with why you think you have nothing to offer in terms of relationships?
Bc I have failed at keeping anyone interested in dating me. They akways choose the other person

Old 07-18-2012, 11:24 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
Bc I have failed at keeping anyone interested in dating me. They akways choose the other person
So it sounds like they are the wrong person for you, not that there is necessarily any sort of deficiency on your part.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
It's not a competition.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Improve your confidence...

1) exercise, get some muscle tone

2) if you have a gut lose it

3) decently groom yourself

4) some new clothing

5) date on your terms... meet a woman through a meetup group that is related to your hobbies, then you can teach her and show confidence

6) get more confident

7) don't give a crap if she says no or picks the other guy

Old 07-18-2012, 11:35 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
You guys, life isn't just about your jobs. What about your hobbies and other interests? In college you must have studied subjects outside your major that caught your interest. Have you pursued any of those interests in your spare time? Any intellectual curiosity that's motivating you to expand on your knowledge base? Political interests? Sports--hiking, boating, climbing? Have you travelled outside the country? Do you enjoy reading fiction or non-fiction? Science documentaries? Art, music? On dates you can talk about anything and everything that interests you, and that makes you interesting. The other thing about dating is to take an interest in your date, and ask her how she spends her leisure time and what her hobbies are.

I agree with findly's posts. It's hard to find a match. Just because it doesn't work out, doesn't mean you're a dud. I've heard dating experts say you have to meet 100 people before you find 1 that's a reasonably good match. There's a lot of sifting and sorting that is part of the process. Join groups that share your interests: hiking or other weekend sports groups, environmental groups, meet-up groups.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:40 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You guys, life isn't just about your jobs. What about your hobbies and other interests? In college you must have studied subjects outside your major that caught your interest. Have you pursued any of those interests in your spare time? Any intellectual curiosity that's motivating you to expand on your knowledge base? Political interests? Sports--hiking, boating, climbing? Have you travelled outside the country? Do you enjoy reading fiction or non-fiction? Science documentaries? Art, music? On dates you can talk about anything and everything that interests you, and that makes you interesting. The other thing about dating is to take an interest in your date, and ask her how she spends her leisure time and what her hobbies are.

I agree with findly's posts. It's hard to find a match. Just because it doesn't work out, doesn't mean you're a dud. I've heard dating experts say you have to meet 100 people before you find 1 that's a reasonably good match. There's a lot of sifting and sorting that is part of the process. Join groups that share your interests: hiking or other weekend sports groups, environmental groups, meet-up groups.
This. And also if you go around with the attitude that you have nothing to offer, everyone else is going to believe you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships