Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
She's also risking 1/2 of her net worth. What do you bring to the table? What's wrong with both pooling their resources, and either hiring a yard guy and cleaning person (and handyman when needed, and taking the car out for lube service), and sharing cooking/eating out/using prepared foods from the grocery/deli, etc.? Pool the money and pool the chores or hire out. What's the big deal?
I can cook

Btw, we once had all those helpers before we got old and became expendable. Would be nice to have kept all that money paid out in the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 07:56 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,391 times
Know how to cook? No not really, I like to cook and try new foods. But a picky eater or one who doesn't like to even try new things...thats hard to deal with. I dated a girl who would try "some" new foods, but her kid wouldn't try ANYTHING! Mashed potatoes, but would not eat baked. No seafood, no fish at all. Hamburger with ketchup only, no pepper at all. No salads, no soups(not even chili). White bread only, american cheese only(and only those slices with plastic wrap on each one). No home cooked ham, just oscar mayer that is square and sliced. Well, you get the point. At least he liked it when I cooked a steak for him. And he was a good kid, just a bit picky.

Back to thread. I don't mind if a woman can't cook........just don't complain too much when I screw up a meal.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaKendall View Post
I get really annoyed whenever someone tells me I have to start cooking because I have a kid. I've never cooked and I'm not just suddenly going to morph into someone else. Although honestly it is not the cooking so much as the cleaning up. I can't stand it. I already barely have the patience to clean off my plate after I've made a sandwich. There is something about cleaning dishes that is unbearably, hideously, mind-numbingly boring to me.
These are habits and lessons you will pass on to your child.
You owe it to him to prepare and present the freshest, healthiest food available.
But that's just my opinion on proper parenting.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,955 times
I avoided cooking when I was in college, but recently I'm cooking like crazy since I have time on my hands. Living at home makes me lazy so I figure living with my friends will push me the opposite direction. I do cook things from scratch and try to avoid box stuff. My mom will not appreciate lazy daughters.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's wrong with both pooling their resources, and either hiring a yard guy and cleaning person (and handyman when needed, and taking the car out for lube service), and sharing cooking/eating out/using prepared foods from the grocery/deli, etc.? Pool the money and pool the chores or hire out. What's the big deal?
Because I wouldn't want to be married to someone whose idea of cooperation and 'being in this together' is spending money to push the responsibility on someone else.

There are reasonable things to hire out if you both agree. But halfsies on basically getting a bunch of strangers to run your life is not my cup of tea.
We do have a yard and pool guy (once a week). We get a deep clean every two weeks by our cleaning people. But everyday things like keeping things clean, bills, keeping the house organized, dishes, doing laundry, preparing healthy food...those are things I need someone on board with me.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaKendall View Post
I get really annoyed whenever someone tells me I have to start cooking because I have a kid. I've never cooked and I'm not just suddenly going to morph into someone else. Although honestly it is not the cooking so much as the cleaning up. I can't stand it. I already barely have the patience to clean off my plate after I've made a sandwich. There is something about cleaning dishes that is unbearably, hideously, mind-numbingly boring to me.

Way to model being lazy! Learning a new, life long, useful skill is not becoming someone else. It is being smart. And, in this case, healthy.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:01 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,057,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
How can you be bad at cooking? I just don't get it. It's a simple life task.
I agree. If the woman is my age, in her 30s, and can't cook, it is a problem. I learned how to cook, because no one was making my food, and eating out all the time is not healthy or financially smart. Those are both qualities I like in women.

It is very simple to find a recipe online, buy the ingredients, and follow directions.

It is even simpler to use a crockpot.

So, yes, I do mind if a woman can't cook.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM

461 posts, read 923,122 times
I wouldn't hold it against her. It doesn't really come into play in my attraction. I cook in most of my relationships, and if they can cook too that's just a bonus.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
How can you be bad at cooking? I just don't get it. It's a simple life task.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
One time I watched someone burn an entire pound of bacon. She was 31 years old. haha.
Just didnt know what she was doing. It was her kitchen, and she didn't' ask for help, so I just let her be. I was laughing inside. She tried, I will give her that. And she got better over time. But it was interesting for a while.

She could bake a mean cupcake, but I think it was box mix.
But she was good at sweets/deserts.

Breakfast and dinner were her thing though.
And there you have it.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,182,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyloves View Post
Does it really bother y'all that much? Seriously, is food that big a deal?

It's not that I can't cook. I can, I'm good at baking. It's just I don't like cooking! It takes too long and I'm not patient... AT ALL!

All this crap about the way to a man's heart is food. WTF!

I could care less if a girl can't cook.

The way to a man's heart is treating him well and giving him lots of sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships