Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 07:50 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is the thing. Some people (male and female) have the gift of being able to throw things together, and they come out fabulous. They have an innate sense of what ingredients and spices go together. Other people...don't. It's like comparing someone with perfect pitch with people who are tone deaf. Some of us are tone deaf in the kitchen. But does anyone ever get rejected for being tone deaf? Maybe only musicians would reject such a person. If then, even.

Thanks for a nice, honest post, BeagleLady.
My husband is the cook and he has that ability. I don't even attempt to improve my skills in this area because I can never be as good as him, so what's the point?

People who have that gift are usually foodies and understand and appreciate the ingredients themselves and how they come together. That's not me. I don't want food to be an experience, it needs to just be food.

Oh, I'm also tone deaf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Lilac, too. "I'm just going to have a bowl of cereal"! LOL!! You can't DO that when you're married, didn't anyone give you the handbook? You can't live like you're a bachelorette after you tie the knot. lol! Cereal! You're killing me! ROFL! But I can relate. I like something simple and light, often: a mixed salad maybe with chicken or cheese. But that's not a big enough production, it has to be a big production, with the stove involved, at least, if not the oven as well.

lol! Great chatting with you ladies.
Yep! I am totally fine with throwing a chicken breast in the oven (or reheating something in the microwave) and calling it a night. My husband wants no part of that. I really hate the cleanup that comes with the big production dinner.

If I could live on cereal, I would. Unfortunately, I can't even keep it in the house because I can't control myself with it.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I'm completely tone deaf but that doesn't stop me attempting to sing, much to the horror of those around me.
maybe I just need to put some music on while I'm making food and start belting those notes out, it might inspire me to become a better chef.
I'm giving your place a wide berth, Duck. I happen to be very musically inclined. I'm putting those orange warning cones around your whole block, like in construction zones, so people can proceed with caution in your vicinity.
(lol)

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-04-2013 at 08:05 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
My husband wants no part of that. I really hate the cleanup that comes with the big production dinner.
My compromise is that whoever cooks doesn't have to do the cleanup.

Quote:
If I could live on cereal, I would. Unfortunately, I can't even keep it in the house because I can't control myself with it.
I can relate to the lack of control around cereal, too. I never have it in the house.

But really, BeagleLady, your hubby won't allow baked chicken breasts? That's too harsh. I have a cousin who got through a marriage and raising 2 kids by baking chicken breasts with a sprinkle of seasoning salt on top. Fish is another one that's really easy, especially salmon. You can poach it in foil wrap in the oven, so there's nothing to clean up afterwards. It takes 5 minutes. Would your hubby approve that? Placate him by serving it with mac-'n-cheese.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
My compromise is that whoever cooks doesn't have to do the cleanup.

I can relate to the lack of control around cereal, too. I never have it in the house.

But really, BeagleLady, your hubby won't allow baked chicken breasts? That's too harsh. I have a cousin who got through a marriage and raising 2 kids by baking chicken breasts with a sprinkle of seasoning salt on top. Fish is another one that's really easy, especially salmon. You can poach it in foil wrap in the oven, so there's nothing to clean up afterwards. It takes 5 minutes. Would your hubby approve that? Placate him by serving it with mac-'n-cheese.
That's why I hate the big dinners. I usually do the cleanup.

It's not that he won't allow it. He just doesn't really like it so if I make it, I'm the only one who eats it. He prefers other types of meat or fish, so he cooks what he likes. I either eat it or make something for myself.

Part of my problem is that I hate handling raw meat.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Part of my problem is that I hate handling raw meat.
I used to be a vegetarian, and had a whole international repertoire of veggie dishes. I was a good cook. Ever since switching to meat, though, I've been lost. I've never been into the slabs of meat, like back in the 40's & 50's, y'know? Roast beef, and all that. So I work mainly with fish and fowl, and some ground beef. Lamb, occasionally.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I used to be a vegetarian, and had a whole international repertoire of veggie dishes. I was a good cook. Ever since switching to meat, though, I've been lost. I've never been into the slabs of meat, like back in the 40's & 50's, y'know? Roast beef, and all that. So I work mainly with fish and fowl, and some ground beef. Lamb, occasionally.
You are better than me, then! I buy boneless skinless breasts and freeze them separately. That way I can take one or two out of the freezer and throw them in the oven.

Forget about putting together a hamburger patty.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
You are better than me, then! I buy boneless skinless breasts and freeze them separately. That way I can take one or two out of the freezer and throw them in the oven.

Oh, well, my "work" with fowl is pretty limited. Boneless, skinless (organic) chicken breasts, mainly. Pheasant, for a holiday treat. Did you know that all non-organic chicken is laced with arsenic? My doc insists I eat organic only.

I just discovered you can make beef stroganoff with ground beef. It's very easy that way. It's my new thing.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:

I think I have a goose or two in the freezer.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I think I have a goose or two in the freezer.
They can stay there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships