Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times

Advertisements

I love cooking, and I cannot bake. Or maybe it is that baking requires patience and measuring and I like to make things up as I go.

I did see an interesting essay related to this topic today.
Girl Talk: I Won
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,200,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyloves View Post
Does it really bother y'all that much? Seriously, is food that big a deal?

It's not that I can't cook. I can, I'm good at baking. It's just I don't like cooking! It takes too long and I'm not patient... AT ALL!

All this crap about the way to a man's heart is food. WTF!
No big deal, because I can cook good meals and truly enjoy it. I don't bake though. I will say that if a woman I was interested in could cook, I'd be a little more interested and very appreciative. I will say that cooking is apparently universally attractive to the opposite sex, I've used it to get phone numbers and dates and stuff. lol.

Lastly, I am comfortable doing most/all the cooking if it's a fair deal and she cleans the dishes afterward- I worked in a restaurant for a while and just can't do it anymore.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
I like to cook but nothing too fancy. I should add that I'm close to a vegetarian.
As long as she is cool with what I eat then we will not have problems. I won't be eating unhealthy.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I mind when any grown adult can't master basic life skills.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post
I am Sicilian, my wife is English, Scotch and Welsh. After the first meal she cooked for me when we were married I said, "Honey you cook like a white girl. Let me take care of the cooking". Worked for 24 years.
Scotch? So she's partially a whiskey? Nice.

But yes I understand completely...Anglo Saxon cooking is not.. inspired, like Mediterranean or French cooking is. Too much time spent conquering Britannia, not enough time learning how not to over cook a steak or fry everything...because heaven knows the animal wasn't dead enough.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 PM

152 posts, read 250,565 times
Back when I was a kid and into my teenage years, my uncle worked, and his wife my aunt, was a housewife/homemaker, whatever you'd call it - she did the cooking, took care of the domestic matters etc

She could really, really cook, I mean, boy could she... she always cooked nutritious meals, and my uncle was always strong and in good health and always felt like working. When he had a night off sometimes we'd do the dishes for her, or once in awhile the cooking, though he/we weren't very good at it.. he took her out to eat when she liked, but normally she preferred to cook at home. Their roles seemed to compliment one another real well, and they were generally in pretty good moods most times, and rarely quarreled. My aunt's role in the marriage was a hard job and she did it well, and my uncle treated her with alot of respect, as did I, and most all others I knew of that knew her. I can't see why the role of homemaker or housewife is looked down upon these days, it's a crucial element of life, really.

My uncle, back in his earlier days, had grown up on a farm in North Carolina and was a farmer growing up. In later years when I was around, though he had a job with the city, he also had these fields he farmed, just for fun, for a hobby. He had some friends with a bit of land, and they'd let him farm some of it, I think he had 3 friends who let him do this. He also had a small garden out back the house. When the vegetables came ripe, he'd have a slew of food, he gave some to those friends I mentioned, some to other people, and the rest, my aunt and uncle had these big freezers out back, 3 or 4 huge ones, and they'd freeze these vegetables, they'd be jam-packed. So oftentimes, when my aunt was cooking, she didn't need to go to the store for vegetables, only right out back to the freezers

This was not out in the middle of nowhere, but rather on the edge of a large city, the fields he farmed were maybe 4 miles from a major interstate. They weren't backwoods type people, just regular folks, regular house & cars, regular lives, they just grew up being a little more self sufficient.

Damn, I wish I was much more like them

and there they are (in earlier times, of course)
Attached Thumbnails
Guys: Do you really mind if a girl can't cook?-aunt_uncle.jpg  

Last edited by vapour_trail; 01-03-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
it doesn't mean much to me, ive always cooked for myself so adding room for another isn't going to set me back or upset me. its more important my partner eat healthy then "cook" horrible food for themselves.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
Mod cut: Off topic.

I never said I wouldn't cook, I said no I won't do majority of the cooking and why should I? We live in an equal society and since I will contribute half (or more)of the money to the family, why should I do more than half of the cooking and cleaning? Men who are just wanting to marry because they want a cook would be better off just hiring one.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-04-2013 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Still though, I expect a woman to at least know her way around a kitchen the same as I'd expect any self-respecting man to know his way around a garage.
See, this just shows how much times have changed. Lots of guys don't know their way around a garage. Some women don't know how to cook, or nothing more than the very basics. Women don't reject guys because they don't know their way around a garage, or because they don't hang wallpaper or can't do plumbing repair. Everybody should just relax, instead of having these expectations. If you score a woman who's a great cook, that's great! If a woman scores a guy who can keep the car running or who can remodel the kitchen, fabulous! But these things shouldn't be deal-breakers if they're absent.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:56 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
See, this just shows how much times have changed. Lots of guys don't know their way around a garage. Some women don't know how to cook, or nothing more than the very basics. Women don't reject guys because they don't know their way around a garage, or because they don't hang wallpaper or can't do plumbing repair. Everybody should just relax, instead of having these expectations. If you score a woman who's a great cook, that's great! If a woman scores a guy who can keep the car running or who can remodel the kitchen, fabulous! But these things shouldn't be deal-breakers if they're absent.
True but so many people here have these stereotypes and I'll never understand it. I personally don't care if a guy is handy around cars, but then again I know a bit about mechanics, having a dad who is one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships