Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:03 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,821,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I wouldn't go as far to agree with that. Regular nice people do get hurt these days - this is the reality. "This place" like any forum that someone anonymously can post without others geographically close to them know who they are. Don't think that everyones nice people are being forthcoming with their relationship or other nutty problems to then find out they're separating or divorcing and other things.
You have a very good point... rehab isn't the best analogy. My defense is I've only had one cup of coffee and couldn't come up with something better. I just wanted to point out that what you see on this forum isn't exactly representative of most people walking around in every day life. Just like at a rehab center you might have someone who just had minor knee surgery and is just looking to get back to regular flexibility, or you have someone with major hip replacement that's going to take some time and is in a lot of pain, or you might have someone who had a major spinal injury and can barely walk and is losing hope... and then you have the people that have been though it all and come back to offer hope and support, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,376,251 times
Honestly, there are quite a few posts on these forums that leave me discouraged and depressed to the point that I never even want to consider a romantic relationship. I'm left paranoid and discouraged. Then I get off of the computer and go out into the real world where it is the exact opposite of the impression I get on these board.

Those types of people described in this particular thread, I myself have run into. The ones that demand perfection from you, and yet she herself is a Shrek-a-like. Why should I jump through hoops just to get a non-frowning face from you, when this other lady, an extremely attractive lady not only accepts me, but is basically an admirer?

Lately, I have been running into a lot of kindhearted people. Not only that, I might be starting a romantic relationship soon. We just seem to go together. She is really attractive, but I don't get the usual jitters around her. I get the vibe that she has feelings for me as well. I also get the impression that it will be a healthy relationship, and a good family.

...but I shouldn't get ahead of myself.

But really, dating is not necessarily like the threads described. It is better to see these threads as they really are, entertainment. If the outside world really is like the thread describe for any of you posters, there are two problems that I can think of. It is either you, or it is where you live. But before you go trying to find my reason, make sure that you aren't the problem before you go spoilin' my territori-zation.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,688,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Yes there are nice people out there but that's in the lower percentage, the rest are worse then other species of life on earth.

"WHAT IS IN IT FOR ME" is what goes through many peoples minds and they act on it even if it hurts others.

There's some nice people around me but I'm not going to disregard the other side of that especially when it comes to interacting with the selfish crooked side of society which seems to be a greater percentage unfortunately.
I think it's really difficult to be nice when you are constantly taken advantage of for it.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,205,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldLight View Post
Dang, you could have had a good post but I stopped at Dr. Laura. The biggest hypocrite out there. I can't stand her. She acts like this champion for marriage and rips people to shreds on the radio for sport. The funny thing is she had an affair with her now husband while he was married to another women, she is estranged from her family and she works full time while berating women to stay at home. I could overlook all that however her arrogant, rude snotty behavior makes make me want to vomit!
Dr. Laura never claims to be perfect. She frequently mentions the awful relationship she had with her mother and many other bumps in her personal road. I think if we expected those of us to give us advice to be perfect, we have unrealistic expectations. Even Dave Ramsey, who is now worth MILLIONS went bankrupt before becoming a financial expert.

And when her son Deryk was growing up, she took him with her to the radio station when he was small, and then she worked when he was in school (which she tells other mothers to do). He was not raised by a nanny or in day care.

Dr. Laura is blunt, I will give her that. But often if you sugar coat advice people disregard it. Her "ripping people to shreds" is the way she GETS THEIR ATTENTION (sort of like slapping a hysterical person across the face). Even so, many of her callers try to argue with her advice or disregard it.

I do not find her behavior rude or snotty. I find her to be sobering and matter-of-fact. Granted, not everyone reacts well to that kind of input, but for many people she is just exactly what they need to get their lives straight.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-15-2013, 05:19 PM

52,400 posts, read 52,914,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Dr. Laura never claims to be perfect. She frequently mentions the awful relationship she had with her mother and many other bumps in her personal road. I think if we expected those of us to give us advice to be perfect, we have unrealistic expectations. Even Dave Ramsey, who is now worth MILLIONS went bankrupt before becoming a financial expert.

And when her son Deryk was growing up, she took him with her to the radio station when he was small, and then she worked when he was in school (which she tells other mothers to do). He was not raised by a nanny or in day care.

Dr. Laura is blunt, I will give her that. But often if you sugar coat advice people disregard it. Her "ripping people to shreds" is the way she GETS THEIR ATTENTION (sort of like slapping a hysterical person across the face). Even so, many of her callers try to argue with her advice or disregard it.

I do not find her behavior rude or snotty. I find her to be sobering and matter-of-fact. Granted, not everyone reacts well to that kind of input, but for many people she is just exactly what they need to get their lives straight.

20yrsinBranson
Yeah, I used to listen to her occasionally when she was on the radio, I think she's only on the web now, but whatever...

Yeah, I think she's smart and I admire her tireless crusade to protect children, she also can seem to zoom in on a problem really quickly.

I think she also loses a lot of people because of her 'bluntness', which I find to be a rather nice description of it... could use a few other choice adjectives.......

I think that is pretty much why she isn't on public radio anymore... I think a lot of her audience has gotten a little tired of the "bluntness to get their attention" angle that she has said many many times in various interviews that she has done over the yrs....

I've heard her be rude and nasty to callers at times when it was totally unnecessary... that being said I think if I had to hear some of the stupid crap people called in with day after day....

I just might have been a little "blunt" myself at times....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships