Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 04:32 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,129,193 times

Advertisements

People are taking about switching relationships when they get bored as if their partner is a commodity or disposable - like TP.

This is all so very sad. Most of the threads I read (or even the titles that keep me from reading the thread) and are so depressing and/or ridiculous. If this is what dating is like, I don't even want to be a part of it. I'll stay home and read.

Why would anyone in their right mind have to be so damned concerned to ask women what hair color they like, how much money or status makes a man attractive, if we are going to turn down a short man? Women wonder how/why they aren't asked out. Did you ever think that it isn't your hair color or your income or your height? Good God, we are all human. Not one person is going to be liked by everyone, so stop trying. If you try to be someone else, you aren't being you. You have to be liked/loved for YOU for a relationship to last.

And if you don't care about a lasting relationship, pay a hooker. Don't go around hurting another person's feelings. What is THAT all about? Don't people have scruples anymore?

Maybe you can't find a good woman who will treat you right, because she's staying home, reading, to avoid all the BS. It just isn't worth it. The same can obviously be said about guys, too.

What happened to wanting to spend your life sharing it with someone? Why does it have to be all butterflies and rainbows every single day? Do you think that's realistic? I would expect a relationship to have highs and lows. I'd also expect a partner to be mature enough to understand that and work on it when there are lows. In my mind, you make it work by using each other's strengths. It's like a garden. You don't just put the seeds in the ground and walk away. You go water them, give them the sun and nutrients they need to flourish.

As my friend, MS, says, "You harvest what you plant."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 04:38 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,974,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
People are taking about switching relationships when they get bored as if their partner is a commodity or disposable - like TP.

This is all so very sad. Most of the threads I read (or even the titles that keep me from reading the thread) and are so depressing and/or ridiculous. If this is what dating is like, I don't even want to be a part of it. I'll stay home and read.

Why would anyone in their right mind have to be so damned concerned to ask women what hair color they like, how much money or status makes a man attractive, if we are going to turn down a short man? Women wonder how/why they aren't asked out. Did you ever think that it isn't your hair color or your income or your height? Good God, we are all human. Not one person is going to be liked by everyone, so stop trying. If you try to be someone else, you aren't being you. You have to be liked/loved for YOU for a relationship to last.

And if you don't care about a lasting relationship, pay a hooker. Don't go around hurting another person's feelings. What is THAT all about? Don't people have scruples anymore?

Maybe you can't find a good woman who will treat you right, because she's staying home, reading, to avoid all the BS. It just isn't worth it. The same can obviously be said about guys, too.

What happened to wanting to spend your life sharing it with someone? Why does it have to be all butterflies and rainbows every single day? Do you think that's realistic? I would expect a relationship to have highs and lows. I'd also expect a partner to be mature enough to understand that and work on it when there are lows. In my mind, you make it work by using each other's strengths. It's like a garden. You don't just put the seeds in the ground and walk away. You go water them, give them the sun and nutrients they need to flourish.

Welcome to dating in 2013.
We all want top value for our time and energy. It isn't about 'sharing life' anymore. It's more about, "How can I put myself in a position to benefit most."

Old 08-14-2013, 04:45 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,129,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
We all want top value for our time and energy. It isn't about 'sharing life' anymore. It's more about, "How can I put myself in a position to benefit most."
If people are so selfish, they should be alone. There is no risk when you are alone. No one to hurt you. No one picking you apart if you ask the wrong question at the wrong time on a date.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:51 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,027,190 times
I just figure people like that have never actually been in a relationship. They have no idea what a real one is like.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:25 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,813,311 times
Quote:

Agree and ask myself this a lot. People expect complete perfection and when they find one thing they don't like, they're gone. They look for reasons to eliminate someone rather than reasons they want to be with them. Thats the difference between today and 50 years ago, heck even 20 years ago.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,896,644 times
Sorry, but if I'm going to invest very scarce resources for myself like time and money into a relationship, I have a right to set standards and not date anyone who I don't feel would fit well with me. End of story.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,384,928 times
Quote:

Feeling like I'm out of touch with reality. Or maybe I'm just a dinosaur.

Nope, you really are a dinosaur, which explains the name "metamorphosis"

In all actuality, if you observe people in the real world, you'll find that there are still a sizable amount of people that still share the values that we have (you and I). There are still tons of people that actually want to share a life with someone. There are a lot of practical minded people who are not into the BS. The unfortunate thing (and fortunate thing) is that forums like this place are run mostly by people who have a messed up view of reality. People who are truly successful do not usually spend a lot of time on forums...

...unless they are marketing their business in some kind of way or really want to reach people who are out of their reach (or both).

Old 08-14-2013, 05:52 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,384,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Ah, cynicism

seeing the world as it is...

...or so I think.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:04 PM

52,426 posts, read 52,974,416 times
I think and feel the exact same way as the OP and to be honest, at times I let some of the stuff here I read really bring me down, but I think a good chunk of what is posted here is either complete BS or some level of BS..... I think in real life people settle a lot more for example, or are far more accepting of things as being too short or not wealthy enough... or fill in the blanks....

I just think the negative shows up here a lot more and I think the freedom of anonymity that the Internet provides allows people to be a little more negative or nasty than in real life.....

At least this is the story I'm telling myself, because if I have to go back out "there" after 20 yrs in a relationship, I think I rather pass, cause what I read here, I have no interest in entertaining.....

Old 08-14-2013, 06:18 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,464,005 times
Quote:

I know that's where I am

A lot of what you read here on CD is written by the younger generation (and those who have been influenced by the younger generation), who think that relationships and people are disposable. I have no idea where this attitude has come from, and I know I didn't raise my teens to be that way.

Maybe when enough people have been hurt enough times they will realize that their way isn't the best or right way, and they'll return to valuing individuals. Maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships