Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 04:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not necessarily, an insecure man with money is still insecure and would never know if he is desired for himself or for his money and gifts, which to me seems a terrible way to live.
So? He gets a hot chick to bang, she gets presents and money.

Seems like they should both be happy. If he's willing to buy love, that's the outcome he should expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:34 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
...expressing frustration at women obsessed with money, or are they really expressing envy of men who are more successful than they are?

I ask because a lot of complaints about "gold-digging" are tinged with a subtle suggestion that wealthy men are getting access to women they don't really deserve...
I would say it is a bit of both depending on the situation. On one hand, I think many men would envy the man who can spend his way to a relationship. On the other hand, I think said men would also resent the idea of having to do that just to get a woman. I would say it is both being jealous and being frustrated at a woman who only cares about money. And it depends on the situation too.

I don't have the money to spend on a woman to get her lavish stuff. For me, it isn't so much the envy, but that I resent having to even have that kind of money. Sometimes I have to wonder "what about things like love, values, actually building a relationship instead of a constant obsession over money".

Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So? He gets a hot chick to bang, she gets presents and money.

Seems like they should both be happy. If he's willing to buy love, that's the outcome he should expect.
That is the difference between the way I think and how many other persons think. I don't want to buy love. Love isn't something you're suppose to buy. It's suppose to be in someone's heart. It is suppose to be about building and cultivating a relationship rather than buying one. Will a gold-digger stick around when the money runs out? If the answer is no, then I don't want that woman anyway.

Old 10-06-2023, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Why would a guy complain about gold diggers if it isn't his gold they're after??

I think many guys use the gold digger label for any woman who doesn't pony up cash on the first date. These men think the women are after their copper-heavy piggy banks. Funny.
that is so pathetic. Separates the men from the boys! Whoever asks a person out is the one who pays for dinner. That's called common politeness, something a lot apparently don't know. And every man who claims women want them to buy them things are the ones that have no gold to dig.

MANY men throughout history have 'bought their wives things', what do u think stay at home moms are?! It's called LOVE. If you love someone, you divide up the chores of life and form a partnership. She has to contribute by making meals, cleaning, doing something to run a household whilst not working on a payroll! It has worked that way for centuries, and men don't complain about it, because they don't want to raise kid (s) or have those responsibilities. SO many women have ZERO work ambitions, while I have been working and gaining my MBA and remain single.

So, if it were true that men don't want to take care of women, they wouldn't keep MARRYING and having their wives stay home with the children, not working. That's what real men do, because they realize the vast majority of women do not make as much at their jobs as a 'family man' does. Why do you think it's called 'aid to dependent women and children' and not 'aid to dependent men and children'???

Old 10-10-2023, 12:02 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goawayjerk View Post
that is so pathetic. Separates the men from the boys! Whoever asks a person out is the one who pays for dinner. That's called common politeness, something a lot apparently don't know. And every man who claims women want them to buy them things are the ones that have no gold to dig.

MANY men throughout history have 'bought their wives things', what do u think stay at home moms are?! It's called LOVE. If you love someone, you divide up the chores of life and form a partnership. She has to contribute by making meals, cleaning, doing something to run a household whilst not working on a payroll! It has worked that way for centuries, and men don't complain about it, because they don't want to raise kid (s) or have those responsibilities. SO many women have ZERO work ambitions, while I have been working and gaining my MBA and remain single.

So, if it were true that men don't want to take care of women, they wouldn't keep MARRYING and having their wives stay home with the children, not working. That's what real men do, because they realize the vast majority of women do not make as much at their jobs as a 'family man' does. Why do you think it's called 'aid to dependent women and children' and not 'aid to dependent men and children'???
Men complaining that everybody is a goldigger can be similar to women who complain that all men want is sex. That separates women from the girls. Those are the girls who nobody sees as attractive.

I am curious, what makes a woman a "real" woman?

Old 10-10-2023, 06:10 PM

595 posts, read 265,134 times
Quote:

It's actually Aid to Families With Dependent Children, if you're talking about the U.S. The days of women being dependent on men are long gone here now. Or dang well should be.

I'll pay for myself on a date, thanks. I'm a grown woman. I've got my own wallet. Buying me dinner doesn't impress me because I can do that myself. Making a lot of money doesn't impress me because I can do that myself. Buying dinner is the easy way out, and too many men want to take the easy way out.

Yes, I'm one of those horrible women who expect men to actually be likable and have something to offer in terms of personality, companionship, and emotional connection. Truly a travesty to have such great expectations, I know.

Old 10-10-2023, 07:01 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:

Your screen name pretty much reveals what attitudes you probably have.
I’m traditional and typically would pay for the first date. With some much talk of independent women who don’t need a man it seems fair to split the tab. I had a friend who dated a woman who made 4x his income of 100k. She made him pay for everything except on his birthday she bought him dinner. Is this the common politeness you speak of?

One of my friends got set up on a date with my girlfriends friend. They had met before and talked. He’s worried about gold diggers because he does well. For her though he took her out to a very nice dinner and was very excited about the prospect of it going further. I found out from my girlfriend she has no physical attraction at all to him but hey she got a nice dinner out of it. He’s very disappointed and I feel for him.

I think modern dating is vastly different than even as recent as 10 years ago.

Old 10-10-2023, 07:03 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
It's actually Aid to Families With Dependent Children, if you're talking about the U.S. The days of women being dependent on men are long gone here now. Or dang well should be.

I'll pay for myself on a date, thanks. I'm a grown woman. I've got my own wallet. Buying me dinner doesn't impress me because I can do that myself. Making a lot of money doesn't impress me because I can do that myself. Buying dinner is the easy way out, and too many men want to take the easy way out.

Yes, I'm one of those horrible women who expect men to actually be likable and have something to offer in terms of personality, companionship, and emotional connection. Truly a travesty to have such great expectations, I know.
I like your style. Dating is about meeting someone to see if you click, not about getting a free meal.
I wish all people had your expectations!

Old 10-11-2023, 07:15 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post

One of my friends got set up on a date with my girlfriends friend. They had met before and talked. He’s worried about gold diggers because he does well. For her though he took her out to a very nice dinner and was very excited about the prospect of it going further. I found out from my girlfriend she has no physical attraction at all to him but hey she got a nice dinner out of it. He’s very disappointed and I feel for him.
There are literally threads of Tick Tok and You tube videos where women are bragging about their list of men who will buy them dinner whenever they want. It's no wonder young men are so guarded these days but honestly... fool me once, shame on you. If you buy someone dinner, it's their turn to invite you next time or clearly they're not interested.

Old 10-11-2023, 08:20 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,792,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Men complaining that everybody is a goldigger can be similar to women who complain that all men want is sex. That separates women from the girls. Those are the girls who nobody sees as attractive.

I am curious, what makes a woman a "real" woman?
What makes a "gold-digger" a "gold-digger?"

Seems to me that the men who think of women to be "gold-diggers" are really women who want an equitable 'split'. Not necessarily an EQUAL split...but an equitable one.

Funny...some of the men who refer to some women as 'gold-diggers' are 'gold-diggers' themselves....

Go figure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships