Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
as if calling him (even if indirectly) a freak, weirdo, or delusional isn't egging him on...

how often have we seen posters here call others "mentally instable", "immature", "misogynist", really just wholesale character attacks without merit just for expressing a difference opinion?

apparently, it's only offensive, inappropriate, and against TOS when it's male on female, not the other way around. if a guy wants to flex his muscle in voicing his opinion, that's no different than a woman swatting him down with a broom in her hand.

c'mon, what's the worst this guy could do online if he stays within the rules, use all caps and bold text???
Well the thing is with this Supine guy is that he oscillates from gender relationships to politics to economics with no coherent structure with ridiculous rapidity. Individual bits and pieces of what he says makes sense but it all just rambles together like a M.C Escher drawing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 08:26 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
as if calling him (even if indirectly) a freak, weirdo, or delusional isn't egging him on...

how often have we seen posters here call others "mentally instable", "immature", "misogynist", really just wholesale character attacks without merit just for expressing a difference opinion?

apparently, it's only offensive, inappropriate, and against TOS when it's male on female, not the other way around. if a guy wants to flex his muscle in voicing his opinion, that's no different than a woman swatting him down with a broom in her hand.

c'mon, what's the worst tsupine could do on CDR if he stays within the rules, use all caps and bold text???
I don't think talking about violence and death to anyone should be acceptable - regardless of the gender. It's not about gender.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
...expressing frustration at women obsessed with money, or are they really expressing envy of men who are more successful than they are?

I ask because a lot of complaints about "gold-digging" are tinged with a subtle suggestion that wealthy men are getting access to women they don't really deserve...
I think it is a little of both, but mostly the first one: frustration at women obsessed with money. Even some affluent men are put off by gold diggers. He may have had plans to retire early, but think again if his spouse is spending frivolously on a regular basis.

To be fair to women, a man that spends every weekend playing golf at his region's most expensive golf course should not complain about his wife or SO buying a dress on occasion. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,547,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Well the thing is with this Supine guy is that he oscillates from gender relationships to politics to economics with no coherent structure with ridiculous rapidity. Individual bits and pieces of what he says makes sense but it all just rambles together like a M.C Escher drawing.
well he can certainly write a complete sentence, and it wouldn't be the first time a poster rambled on that's for sure. and not to mention whoever ever said rationale, logical opinions and arguments are required for forum discussion?

really, i know very well my capacity to write superior arguments when debating others, which often results in disgruntled frustration on their part, and thereby promptly them to respond with hate speech, personal insults, and other character attacks as an "acceptable" way of expressing one's opinion. and it's often a sign of poor judgment, insecurity or intellectual inferiority. but those types actively exists on this forum, despite whether it may be caused in part by mental health issues, which i suspect often is but who am i to say they can't participate in public discourse.

people need to come to terms with others who may have mental health issues. there are literally thousands of service members and veterans with major depressive disorder, TBI, PTSD, and other medical condition affecting their perspective on their new life's challenges. while many may verbalize violent expressions, it doesn't mean they are violent people.

and i guess i need to remind everyone that many of these individuals are suffering these mental health and medical issues as a result of fighting for our nation's defense abroad so that you may exercise your right to freedom of speech without fear and oppression, and at a minimum they deserve some of your respect and tolerance in allowing them to exercise that same right when communicating with you. and, frankly, you should feel some sense of shame if you believe they are not worthy to discuss issues with you on an anonymous internet forum. for some, this may be their only way of interacting with the general public.

Last edited by nokiddin; 10-08-2013 at 09:27 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
Its completely silly for anyone to deny that women are generally interested in men either above or at the same level of income, status, and looks. Most middle class men know that going after a rich man's daughter is pretty much an exercise in futility. She's looking for someone to either help her raise or maintain her status. Its not hard at all to find videos on You Tube that confirm this. There a quite a few where women are moaning that there is a lack of "good men" for well educated women making big bucks. Now some men might label this as being a "gold digger." And that is understandable. Years ago I remember browsing, out of curiosity only, women's adds on Match.com. At that time, they could put on their page what minimum income they were looking for in a man, and there were many, many women that had a $50,000 a year income as a requirement for any man who wanted to date her. Some might consider that being a "gold digger" I certainly would.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,749,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Its completely silly for anyone to deny that women are generally interested in men either above or at the same level of income, status, and looks. Most middle class men know that going after a rich man's daughter is pretty much an exercise in futility. She's looking for someone to either help her raise or maintain her status. Its not hard at all to find videos on You Tube that confirm this. There a quite a few where women are moaning that there is a lack of "good men" for well educated women making big bucks. Now some men might label this as being a "gold digger." And that is understandable. Years ago I remember browsing, out of curiosity only, women's adds on Match.com. At that time, they could put on their page what minimum income they were looking for in a man, and there were many, many women that had a $50,000 a year income as a requirement for any man who wanted to date her. Some might consider that being a "gold digger" I certainly would.
$50,000 a year is a gold digger? That kind of income would not even buy an average house in my area.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
At that time, they could put on their page what minimum income they were looking for in a man, and there were many, many women that had a $50,000 a year income as a requirement for any man who wanted to date her. Some might consider that being a "gold digger" I certainly would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
$50,000 a year is a gold digger? That kind of income would not even buy an average house in my area.
Agree, 50K is hardly gold digging. My guess would be these women were looking for someone that matched their own earnings. What's wrong with wanting a partner on the same economic level?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Hell 50k is what you need for a down payment for a house if putting 20% down were I live. That might not even be good enough you might need 72k for a down payment for the part of town I want to live. I even have a great credit 760 last time I checked.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:00 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Agree, 50K is hardly gold digging. My guess would be these women were looking for someone that matched their own earnings. What's wrong with wanting a partner on the same economic level?
It is smart thing to do IMO it is a lot easier to start a family with some money then to say f it let's have kids and worry about money down the road.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Is it more bitterness from guys who aren't even making that?

It just seems so that a lot of the anger some guys have toward women should be self-directed, which is the point of RogersParkGuy's threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships