Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 11:25 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Whether people will admit or not, a father and a mother both have different and individual roles to fulfill on a daily bases in a marriage and raising kids.

When one of those roles is absent or part time, the child suffers.
That's fine, but being married has nothing to do with it.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:28 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Was your father around ?
If not, It would be hard to judge why a committed father might want to be married.

Yes, it's possible to raise kids without a commitment of marriage. Is it best... No.
No, she raised us single. My parents were separated and then later divorced.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:29 AM

54 posts, read 42,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You can get mad at me and stomp your feet all you want - I know that having a stable home environment is what is best for children. I'm not just making things up.

Sexist? Because I'm pointing something out to you?

I don't really care if you respect me or not - that was never my intent in posting here. You asked a question and you don't like my answers or the answers of any of us that have actually raised a family. That's fine.

Cleary not. Your intent was to wag your finger at OP and claim some kind of superiority.

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'm not a big fan of marriage, most men I know have been burned by it and it wrecks of negativity. Not saying all marriages are a bust, but when they do go bust (and a good percentage do) it is emotionally draining.

With that said, I want to have children. Perhaps in the next 2-3 years, up until this point I was running around avoiding LTRs and now I kind of want to get into one, with the right woman for me of course.

Will it be difficult to find a woman that wants to have children without marriage? This does not mean I will just have children with her and then leave her. It means raising a family, living together, being together exclusively and growing old together. Can this be accomplished without a piece of paper?
I would suggest that if you are going to have children, you need to be married to their mother. If she one day decides that she's sick of you, you will be totally screwed as an unmarried father. She will basically have the right to cut you out of your children's lives and deny you a real influence as a parent. Well, she'll get money out of you for sure, but you won't be their father in any real sense of the word.

You're screwed either way, but at least if you are married to the mother you have a modicum of parental rights as a father. You've got none without marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, you won't be able to do that once you have kids.
, yeah I'll have to learn how to appreciate quiet time more.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
The prerequisite for a happy family/child is stability. And it doesn't seem that you are interested in providing stability. You seem to have a rather selfish view of having a family and many of us are trying to point that out to you.

Marriage has absolutely nothing to do with stability. This is where you fail.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:31 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I guess you didn't get the memo.

Two parents aren't needed these days.
Funny thing is, when I wrote something similar to the Rakin post you responded to on the Parenting forum - supporting the notion that children need a mother AND a father - I was piled on by several women.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I would suggest that if you are going to have children, you need to be married to their mother. If she one day decides that she's sick of you, you will be totally screwed as an unmarried father. She will basically have the right to cut you out of your children's lives and deny you a real influence as a parent. Well, she'll get money out of you for sure, but you won't be their father in any real sense of the word.

You're screwed either way, but at least if you are married to the mother you have a modicum of parental rights as a father. You've got none without marriage.
Wouldn't that be sick to do to children? I have seen it happen before, but women seem to get custody and then teach their kids that their father is worthless and never wants to see them, while in reality the father wants to but the ex has some court order on it to where he can't. This discussion belongs in a different thread though.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

Wow, what another ringing endorsement of marriage. "If you don't, she'll cut you out of your children's lives."

And on a related note, what a great commentary on our disgustingly biased "family" court system.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:35 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'm not a big fan of marriage, most men I know have been burned by it and it wrecks of negativity. Not saying all marriages are a bust, but when they do go bust (and a good percentage do) it is emotionally draining.

With that said, I want to have children. Perhaps in the next 2-3 years, up until this point I was running around avoiding LTRs and now I kind of want to get into one, with the right woman for me of course.

Will it be difficult to find a woman that wants to have children without marriage? This does not mean I will just have children with her and then leave her. It means raising a family, living together, being together exclusively and growing old together. Can this be accomplished without a piece of paper?
Why do you want to have children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships