Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 02:45 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Shackleford View Post
Let's have a lesson in logic, shall we? These two statements: "Abuse is one of the least-commonly cited reasons for divorce," and "Many women are urged by their lawyers to claim abuse as a way to get a "leg up" in divorce proceedings."

Those two statements are not mutually exclusive, which means, they can both be true at the same time. Weird, huh? There is nothing about statement 1 that invalidates statement 2. Think about it for a minute.

The rest is just your attempt to "couch" me, and beyond being wrong, and a personal attack (against forum rules), you're just grasping at straws.

The above comment is a long-winded version of "I got nothin'."
WOW you are hurting.

I feel for you and hope that at some point you can work things through and find peace. That's all I can possibly say to this much vitriol and anger. Something caused it...and you're hurting. I hope for peace for you, and happiness.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:55 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,550,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'm not a big fan of marriage, most men I know have been burned by it and it wrecks of negativity. Not saying all marriages are a bust, but when they do go bust (and a good percentage do) it is emotionally draining.

With that said, I want to have children. Perhaps in the next 2-3 years, up until this point I was running around avoiding LTRs and now I kind of want to get into one, with the right woman for me of course.

Will it be difficult to find a woman that wants to have children without marriage? This does not mean I will just have children with her and then leave her. It means raising a family, living together, being together exclusively and growing old together. Can this be accomplished without a piece of paper?

Perhaps a marriage that is religious but not legally recognized would suit you by having a ceremony but not signing a civil marriage license ? Or get married but signing a prenupial agreement? Do you realize though that there is such a thing as a common law marriage that gives legal rights to partners who have been living together a long time ? That means if you live together long enough you do have a form of marriage. And if you break up and have kids together there could be disputes over custody and visitation regardless of if you are married or not. Avoiding marriage may not avoid the pain of a breakup.

Common-law marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-21-2014, 03:03 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Which is it, marriage makes it tougher to walk out or not? If it's tougher to walk out, that means fewer breakups and therefore more stability.
That doesn't mean anything!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:03 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Did I say it was a legal term?

Bzzzzzzzzt. Wrong, Ruth. Sorry, you're eliminated from the lightning round. You're correct, a woman can put Ace Frehley or anyone else she feels like on the birth certificate, but the only time that the person listed on the birth certificate as the father is legally presumed to be the father, is when the couple is married.

In some states, you can't even challenge it! And even if you prove yourself NOT the father biologically, you can still be compelled to pay child support.

Thanks feminism!
Thanks, Perry Mason. But what does it have to do with feminism? Maybe the name on the birth certif in the OP's case should be Daffy Duck.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:06 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
That doesn't mean anything!
Does not compute. There are incentives to stay and disincentives to leave ... but no affect on stability?

Old 04-21-2014, 03:16 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Quote:
Does not compute. There are incentives to stay and disincentives to leave ... but no affect on stability?
No. Marriage or no marriage if one person doesn't want to make a relationship work, it won't.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:20 PM

54 posts, read 42,557 times
Quote:

None whatsoever, why would there be?

Old 04-21-2014, 03:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Abuse is one of the least common reasons for divorce. So, there's that.
Yes, and it's very, very sad. Abused spouses often stay in abusive marriages, sadly, out of fear. It ought to be the most common reason for divorce, to be honest. Too many people stay in marriages where they and/or their children are being abused.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:21 PM

54 posts, read 42,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks, Perry Mason. But what does it have to do with feminism? Maybe the name on the birth certif in the OP's case should be Daffy Duck.
Feminists are 100% behind the way that family and reproductive law is structured today.

They did a bangup job, no?

Old 04-21-2014, 03:23 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Perhaps a marriage that is religious but not legally recognized would suit you by having a ceremony but not signing a civil marriage license ? Or get married but signing a prenupial agreement? Do you realize though that there is such a thing as a common law marriage that gives legal rights to partners who have been living together a long time ? That means if you live together long enough you do have a form of marriage. And if you break up and have kids together there could be disputes over custody and visitation regardless of if you are married or not. Avoiding marriage may not avoid the pain of a breakup.

Common-law marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So if you don't live together then it wouldn't be considered marriage? Interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships