Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 02:13 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
He doesn't have to take it on faith. Stats show that the quality of life usually goes down for custodial parents, usually the mom, after divorce. It'll be harder for her to leave too.
What stats are these?

Old 04-21-2014, 02:14 PM

54 posts, read 42,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Factually-ridiculous", is that a legal term?

You mean like the example you provided; "spouse could claim mental deficiencies"? Really? A spouse could claim that without proving it beyond a doubt, and cash in?

RE: the last--that would be true even if they aren't married. She could put his name on the birth certif. He'd have to hire a lawyer to do a DNA check whether they're married or not.

Either way, getting involved with anyone and having kids with anyone carries risks. Which is why it's best to exercise caution whenever you decide to involve someone in your life on an intimate level. That's life--full of risk. Take a class in risk management if you can't handle it.

NEXT!
Did I say it was a legal term?

Bzzzzzzzzt. Wrong, Ruth. Sorry, you're eliminated from the lightning round. You're correct, a woman can put Ace Frehley or anyone else she feels like on the birth certificate, but the only time that the person listed on the birth certificate as the father is legally presumed to be the father, is when the couple is married.

In some states, you can't even challenge it! And even if you prove yourself NOT the father biologically, you can still be compelled to pay child support.

Thanks feminism!

Old 04-21-2014, 02:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Shackleford View Post

Women initiate 70% of all divorces....so...yeah. Your logic doesn't play out in real life.
LOL. How many of those woman-iniated divorces are woman-initiated because the spouse has already left, but left the paperwork to her to handle? Who does the legwork may or may not be indicative of who exited the marriage.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:17 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
So you're telling me that a woman is less likely to divorce because first she'll look at statistics and see that her quality of life is likely to go down?

Women initiate 70% of all divorces....so...yeah. Your logic doesn't play out in real life.

I'm having a hard time even comprehending how some of the posters can wrap their heads around the ridiculousness of their reasoning as to why the OP should get married.

So, no woman will take on faith that the OP won't leave her, but OP should put that exact same faith in a marriage.

Lol. man=bad, woman=good.
There's a thread right now from a longtime poster about to divorce her husband. He has abused her and their son for years, and she is initiating. He's the breadwinner. She's the caretaker, and the quality of her life and their kids' will go down. Her big question is how she can afford to get away from him. She's not running off with his children; in fact, she said she plans to stay near him despite how expensive L.A. is.

But of course, your reality is the exact opposite!

Old 04-21-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
LOL. How many of those woman-iniated divorces are woman-initiated because the spouse has already left, but left the paperwork to her to handle? Who does the legwork may or may not be indicative of who exited the marriage.
I've seen this claim one too many times on this board.

Do you have any facts that bear it out? Otherwise it's just message-board drivel.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
There's a thread right now from a longtime poster about to divorce her husband. He has abused her and their son for years, and she is initiating. He's the breadwinner. She's the caretaker, and the quality of her life and their kids' will go down. Her big question is how she can afford to get away from him. She's not running off with his children; in fact, she said she plans to stay near him despite how expensive L.A. is.

But of course, your reality is the exact opposite!
Abuse is one of the least common reasons for divorce. So, there's that.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:25 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Abuse is one of the least common reasons for divorce. So, there's that.
I really doubt that. Have any stats to support that other than the official reason for filing? "Irreconcilable differences" is typically what is filed because it's easier and less messy...not because of what has actually been going on. Anyone who has had friends or family members who have divorced knows this...and I don't know anybody who DOESN'T have any divorced friends or family members.

Emotional abuse is HUGE between couples of all descriptions. It is nothing new, it has been going on for thousands of years.

I think you see what you want to see in order to be able to go on hating/intensely disliking women.

Fine, that's your personal inner need but the don't go spreading it as if it's fact.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I really doubt that. Have any stats to support that other than the official reason for filing? "Irreconcilable differences" is typically what is filed because it's easier and less messy...not because of what has actually been going on. Anyone who has had friends or family members who have divorced knows this...and I don't know anybody who DOESN'T have any divorced friends or family members.

Emotional abuse is HUGE between couples of all descriptions. It is nothing new, it has been going on for thousands of years.

I think you see what you want to see in order to be able to go on hating/intensely disliking women.

Fine, that's your personal inner need but the don't go spreading it as if it's fact.
I have no problem with women, I have a problem with marriage. Ahhh, the nebulous "emotional abuse." It's the legal equivalent of telling teacher, "he's being mean to me!!!!"

And also, let's not forget, many women are urged by their lawyers to claim abuse, as it gives them an automatic "leg up" in the divorce proceedings. (man=bad, woman=good)

Thousands of years! Of course it has!

Old 04-21-2014, 02:38 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
I have no problem with women, I have a problem with marriage. Ahhh, the nebulous "emotional abuse." It's the legal equivalent of telling teacher, "he's being mean to me!!!!"

And also, let's not forget, many women are urged by their lawyers to claim abuse, as it gives them an automatic "leg up" in the divorce proceedings. (man=bad, woman=good)

Thousands of years! Of course it has!
Hey wait now, didn't you just state that abuse isn't a common thing to claim?

So which is it? Ah, whichever fits your angry and accusatory agenda.

You have a lot of things to work out. Not that a lot of us don't, but your anger at women IS very, very, very evident. Please don't think we don't know it and if you're having trouble with relationships (I'm not saying you are, I don't know for sure) this is likely why.

Being this bitter will also actually attract user, low-quality women as they see you as the enemy and someone to get something from. Better quality women without deceitful motives will simply shy away entirely out of that "get me out of here quick" feeling.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Hey wait now, didn't you just state that abuse isn't a common thing to claim?

So which is it? Ah, whichever fits your angry and accusatory agenda.

You have a lot of things to work out. Not that a lot of us don't, but your anger at women IS very, very, very evident. Please don't think we don't know it and if you're having trouble with relationships (I'm not saying you are, I don't know for sure) this is likely why.

Being this bitter will also actually attract user, low-quality women as they see you as the enemy and someone to get something from. Better quality women without deceitful motives will simply shy away entirely out of that "get me out of here quick" feeling.
Let's have a lesson in logic, shall we? These two statements: "Abuse is one of the least-commonly cited reasons for divorce," and "Many women are urged by their lawyers to claim abuse as a way to get a "leg up" in divorce proceedings."

Those two statements are not mutually exclusive, which means, they can both be true at the same time. Weird, huh? There is nothing about statement 1 that invalidates statement 2. Think about it for a minute.

The rest is just your attempt to "couch" me, and beyond being wrong, and a personal attack (against forum rules), you're just grasping at straws.

The above comment is a long-winded version of "I got nothin'."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships