Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 03:56 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Osito said "more stable." Marriage is more stable than cohabitation, yes.
I'm curious.....how does a marriage license affects a couple and child's everyday living? Does that child carry around a marriage certificate to school and get free lunch or something? Does the wife or husband use that marriage certificate to get a dollar off gas at the pump?

Old 04-21-2014, 04:04 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
I'm curious.....how does a marriage license affects a couple and child's everyday living? Does that child carry around a marriage certificate to school and get free lunch or something? Does the wife or husband use that marriage certificate to get a dollar off gas at the pump?
Nope it does not affect them that way. But the benefits of marriage for insurance, tax credits, social security, etc.

Plus the child/ren with an invisible ink 'illegitimate' stamp on their forehead, those are the ones to consider to marry or not to marry if you want kids.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:11 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
Nope it does not affect them that way. But the benefits of marriage for insurance, tax credits, social security, etc.

Plus the child/ren with an invisible ink 'illegitimate' stamp on their forehead, those are the ones to consider to marry or not to marry if you want kids.
So it's all about money? Makes sense.

Love, commitment, stability and good parenting does not come from a piece of paper.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:16 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
As I said to Osito earlier, "more difficult to leave" means "less likely to leave." It's not a big leap. I'm not sure what you are really asking about school lunches and gas prices, so if you take issue with what I have said let's keep it in context.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:23 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Quote:
As I said to Osito earlier, "more difficult to leave" means "less likely to leave." It's not a big leap. I'm not sure what you are really asking about school lunches and gas prices, so if you take issue with what I have said let's keep it in context.
No. Marriage does not mean less likely to leave. Get it through your head. And if the point you're really trying to make is that it's harder to leave therefore marriage is better, you're out of your mind. In that case, all it does is make everything harder on everybody than it has to be, unless somebody just runs out first. Marriage does not in any way equal stability. Get it through your head.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:24 PM

54 posts, read 42,557 times
Quote:
Yet another tempting endorsement of marriage.

Girl: Are you ever going to marry me?

Guy: Nah.

Girl: Are you sure? It will be harder to leave.

Guy: Well, in that case...

Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.shackleford View Post
yet another tempting endorsement of marriage.

Girl: Are you ever going to marry me?

Guy: Nah.

Girl: Are you sure? It will be harder to leave.

Guy: Well, in that case...
lol!

Old 04-21-2014, 04:29 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Love, commitment, stability and good parenting does not come from a piece of paper.
Correct but Vowing to do all of this in front of friends and family makes a commitment to yourself and your partner.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:30 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
No. Marriage does not mean less likely to leave. Get it through your head. And if the point you're really trying to make is that it's harder to leave therefore marriage is better, you're out of your mind. In that case, all it does is make everything harder on everybody than it has to be, unless somebody just runs out first. Marriage does not in any way equal stability. Get it through your head.
Get it through your head it does make it harder to leave.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:30 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I disagree. The stats I've seen show that cohabiting is more likely to result in breakup. It makes sense to me. Guys who complain that the piece of paper makes it tougher to leave seem to get it too. Well, usually. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships