Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 07:24 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Wow, is that a woman's way of saying I refuse to pay for a date at a expensive restaurant?
It's this woman's way of saying 1) I prefer that food and 2) I can't afford an expensive restaurant more than once or twice a year. I don't refuse to pay what I can afford and for me, a good quality torta and dinner in the park is a better experience than a $50 meal with fine wine in the North End.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 07:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's this woman's way of saying 1) I prefer that food and 2) I can't afford an expensive restaurant more than once or twice a year. I don't refuse to pay what I can afford and for me, a good quality torta and dinner in the park is a better experience than a $50 meal with fine wine in the North End.

Far better, IMO. But the higher end restaurants around Boston don't really impress me as being worth the money, outside of Bergamot, which is great.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:32 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Can I ask the angry men on here if you have ever gotten angry with a woman - or is this something that you are just angry at in general? I mean, have you ever told off a woman and told her that she can't pick and choose what she wants in a relationship - and that because she can vote and work that she has to pay for her dates? Has this been an issue for you in your dating life or is it something you just rant about on the internet? Just curious.

Back when I was dating, it just depended on the person I was dating. There were times when I was doing better financially than my ex - not because I was making more but just because I had money saved. We never really did things that were that expensive so it was never much of an issue. We usually took turns paying. We did fly out to see each other fairly often since one of us was usually on tour - and then sometimes we'd split the cost. The only big trips that we took were with my family, and my parents paid for both of us. If I had wanted to do something really expensive that I could afford but the guy I was dating couldn't - I simply would have paid. I do this with my friends. It's not a big deal.

Personally, when I'm in a relationship, most of the time we spend together isn't doing really expensive things - it's just spending time together. Yes, we like to splurge now and then and we probably eat out a lot - but the point of a relationship is spending time with the person - not who pays for what. That's just been my experience.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Far better, IMO. But the higher end restaurants around Boston don't really impress me as being worth the money, outside of Bergamot, which is great.
Have you been to Blue Ginger? It's a bit of a hike but I love it!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Have you been to Blue Ginger? It's a bit of a hike but I love it!

I have not, I'll bookmark it. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:47 AM

898 posts, read 937,994 times
Quote:
Can I ask the angry men on here if you have ever gotten angry with a woman - or is this something that you are just angry at in general? I mean, have you ever told off a woman and told her that she can't pick and choose what she wants in a relationship - and that because she can vote and work that she has to pay for her dates? Has this been an issue for you in your dating life or is it something you just rant about on the internet? Just curious.
Disagreement on something doesn't necessarily mean we're angry. Be careful not to conflate these two different descriptors. Also, just because we disagree on an issue on an anonymous forum doesn't necessarily mean we're disgruntled, confused little boys IRL. Donchya think maybe that's why we come here in the first place? Just as some of ya'll can be found on different subs ranting about topics that are close to your heart, you'll find other folks ranting/venting on topics that aren't a priority for you. I'm pretty sure that, with a thorough search, I can find where most of you have had a vent/rant about some particular topic.

Calling someone angry and confused is a defense mechanism used to deflect the issue at hand when people don't like that other people disagree with them.

Quote:
Back when I was dating, it just depended on the person I was dating. There were times when I was doing better financially than my ex - not because I was making more but just because I had money saved. We never really did things that were that expensive so it was never much of an issue. We usually took turns paying. We did fly out to see each other fairly often since one of us was usually on tour - and then sometimes we'd split the cost. The only big trips that we took were with my family, and my parents paid for both of us. If I had wanted to do something really expensive that I could afford but the guy I was dating couldn't - I simply would have paid. I do this with my friends. It's not a big deal.
It only becomes an issue when people start making broad proclamations like "Men should pay for everything". This has been said multiple times on a variety of different threads. Those are the kinds of comments that stir the pot. And then when people are called out on it, the response always seems to be the same: "Oh but I actually do split the bills". If not for these statements, then you're right; it's not a big deal.

Quote:
Personally, when I'm in a relationship, most of the time we spend together isn't doing really expensive things - it's just spending time together. Yes, we like to splurge now and then and we probably eat out a lot - but the point of a relationship is spending time with the person - not who pays for what. That's just been my experience.
I think that's how it is most of the time IRL. These threads get blown out of proportion when folks make sweeping radical statements.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I mean, seriously. What do you people do that costs so much money all the time?
I am a professional and I have money. But if I were in dating circumstances, I don't see how I would be required (or inclined) to suddenly pursue a lot of activities that cost a lot of money.

Yeah, in the beginning you might have a meal or two out...but after that, why all the formal hoo ha that costs tons of money? That's not organic at all, and frankly, that would simply bore me.

I get to know someone by spending time with them pursuing regular activities, just hanging out, TALKING, etc.

What are y'all doing that is so damn expensive that you have to get all butt hurt about who is paying, etc?

Old 08-01-2014, 07:56 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
I would agree with this 100%. But IME, the guy is initiating dates 99% of the time. For women, this is some sort of self-validation process (if he likes me, then he asks me out). Therefore, this ends up always falling on the guy.
In this scenario what difference does it make? If its the guy initiating he takes his date where he can afford. If she prefers to go somewhere else, she assumes to bill. Normally this 99% is the FIRST date anyway. It seems to me after that in the majority of dating couples its back and forth.

There is no law stating a guy has to initiate so just don't. Be like woman and sit back and wait to be asked out. If you aren't getting any attention I'm sure we can come up with a list that will make you more attractive.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I mean, seriously. What do you people do that costs so much money all the time?
I am a professional and I have money. But if I were in dating circumstances, I don't see how I would be required (or inclined) to suddenly pursue a lot of activities that cost a lot of money.

Yeah, in the beginning you might have a meal or two out...but after that, why all the formal hoo ha that costs tons of money? That's not organic at all, and frankly, that would simply bore me.

I get to know someone by spending time with them pursuing regular activities, just hanging out, TALKING, etc.

What are y'all doing that is so damn expensive that you have to get all butt hurt about who is paying, etc?
You're missing the point. Do you need me to re-explain the issue at hand?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There is no law stating a guy has to initiate so just don't. Be like woman and sit back and wait to be asked out. If you aren't getting any attention I'm sure we can come up with a list that will make you more attractive.
I already have plenty of attractive qualities IRL, so I don't need your help. It does not matter either way. Women do not initiate the majority of first dates. Therefore, it's very easy to declare who spends the money when you're not paying the bills.

But yeah, once a relationship gets going, I think it is more back and forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships