Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:31 PM

214 posts, read 206,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
How do you know how much somebody you just started dating makes? What do yall do compare W2 forms on the first date?
A lot of women ask guys what they do as soon as they meet and are then immediately able to gauge their estimated income. I'm generally asked what I do within the first three to four questions when I meet a woman (and usually not ever by a guy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't think they do enjoy men just trying to hit and run, for the most part. I don't see how that's an ideal situation for women.
So? Women know that and keep sleeping with them on the first date. I mean, are women that dense? I'm in favor of women not putting out and tell them not do sleep with a guy for a while, but then women tell me to mind my own business. Then the next day, they're weeping about the guy who slammed them and won't return their calls. That's when I LOL.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
People are allowed to be hypocrites.
No, men aren't. I mean, yeah, they are, if you mean "as long as you want to hear perpetual yelling and screaming in your ear for the rest of time."

Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I like when the man pays. There is no rule about how much that is. It just fits in better with the role I want in a relationship. I don't want to be the primary planner. This doesn't mean I'll never plan. But if you plan, you should pay!

I also find that if the gap is too big, it doesn't work out. There is some sort of stigma or confidence issue or something that happens when the gap too big. Or maybe it is resentment? I don't know the word, but it feels like the guys feel bad if they can't treat to the same level of stuff I treat myself to.

Exactly! The same rules do not have to apply in all aspects of life. I like to make decisions at work and be in charge. At home? Not so much!

Is that on your end or their end? I wouldn't care if a woman made more than me, as long as she didn't try to throw it in my face and as long as she knew that I'm the man in the relationship.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:38 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobaloba View Post
No, men aren't. I mean, yeah, they are, if you mean "as long as you want to hear perpetual yelling and screaming in your ear for the rest of time."
Yelling and screaming from who? There are lots of guys on here that want to sleep with lots of women but want a woman who has very few partners. Is that not hypocritical? And yet he is allowed to want what he wants. There are plenty of overweight men that want slim women. There are plenty of out older guys that only want younger women. People are allowed to have whatever preferences they desire. Most people do not want someone who is identical to them in every way - and that's not really possible anyway.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Yelling and screaming from who? There are lots of guys on here that want to sleep with lots of women but want a woman who has very few partners. Is that not hypocritical? And yet he is allowed to want what he wants.
Uh, WTF are you talking about? If the woman doesn't like that, all she has to do is keep her clothes on. As I said, in the dating world, the woman is 100% in control, which is why feminists never screech about that.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:43 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,366,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I agree with this. Really, I do. But it seems like every time I try to make a statement like the underlined, then a ton of guys roll in proclaiming that they do, in fact, prefer to pay. I've never understood whether they're just white-knighting or whether or not they're really wired differently from me It's one of many things that has more or less fueled my "live and let live" approach to most things in life. I think it's stupid to WANT to pay for things...but I'm not one to tell other people how to live.

As I mentioned before, I definitely don't "prefer" to pay, and I wouldn't even go so far as to say "I don't mind it". But as it happens, the women I date can't afford to do what I want to do, so I acknowledge that it would be unfair of me to expect them to. They definitely get huge points if they try, though. HUGE.
Is it really any different than a woman who likes or prefers being submissive? There are women who have no problem being the submissive, in whatever context, in their relationship. I don't see the need to analyze or claim they're deluding themselves. It may not be something for me, but hey, we're all different and like different things.

Submissiveness and "gentlemanly" behaviors and actions are often regarded as expectations based on gender roles handed down by society decades ago. Are these traits or behaviors inherently, universally, specific to fulfilling a gender role, or could some people simply be "wired" or more inclined toward them?

I've had dates and partners insist on paying. I had one date who was clearly bothered that I purchased 3D IMAX movie tickets for our date. He asked if he could pay me back. No doubt, some dates likely paid because they were behaving in a way they thought was "proper" or expected, especially when I lived in the South. When I lived there, dates offered and preferred to pay, which I credit to the culture, which, again, goes back to cultural expectations. But a few partners were "modern" types that still preferred to pay, but I had no problem contributing. An ex of mine, raised just outside Atlanta (though has always been non-religious and progressive) insisted I didn't pay for dates, because I had to pay $70-140 for a sitter. He was able to get family to watch his daughter. I contributed in other ways, but he felt strongly about paying, and one time stuck money in my purse without me knowing to pay the sitter.

Some men simply don't mind contributing however they can or want to. It doesn't mean they're deluding themselves or blinded by outdated concepts. And the same can be said about a variety of traits or behaviors.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:45 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
Quote:
So? Women know that and keep sleeping with them on the first date. I mean, are women that dense? I'm in favor of women not putting out and tell them not do sleep with a guy for a while, but then women tell me to mind my own business. Then the next day, they're weeping about the guy who slammed them and won't return their calls. That's when I LOL.
Yeah, it's definitely on them, but a woman might feel like she needs to have sex before she's ready to make a guy happy just like a guy might feel like he needs to pay for dates to please a woman. But naturally, I'm only hearing complaints from men about things that don't benefit them, so why should I sympathize with them? It's like, "I want a woman to contribute to date expenses, I don't want a relationship but I want to have casual sex with her, and I want her to be young and attractive." Ok great, but what's in it for her exactly?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:48 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
How has this money thing never come up once my entire life?
Not college, not high school, not as an adult...just never.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:49 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
Quote:
Uh, WTF are you talking about? If the woman doesn't like that, all she has to do is keep her clothes on. As I said, in the dating world, the woman is 100% in control, which is why feminists never screech about that.
I'm so confused. I have no idea what you are talking about either. My point is that anyone can have whatever dating preferences they want to have. Feminists don't "screech" about dating because dating is not something governed by the law. Women are not 100% in control - we are all in control of our own dating life. If you don't want to pay for a date - you don't have to. If I don't want to sleep with someone, I won't sleep with them. You aren't forced to date certain women so I'm not sure what you are trying to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships