Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 06:36 AM

214 posts, read 206,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Why do you think that anyone OTHER than me should dictate what I want from a man in a relationship. Get over yourself. "Equal rights" have nothing to do with a relationship, dude. That is a legal issue. You are very confused.
It's endlessly amusing how many women use this excuse. "Relationships between the genders have nothing to do with equal rights." Yeah, except when men thought that women should stay at home to raise kids, which they decided was NOT a relationship issue. I'm not arguing one way or the other for it, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy and B.S. "logic" there. (That's logic as in women's logic, as in "it doesn't make any actual sense, but that's OK because I'm a woman.")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 06:43 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobaloba View Post
It's endlessly amusing how many women use this excuse. "Relationships between the genders have nothing to do with equal rights." Yeah, except when men thought that women should stay at home to raise kids, which they decided was NOT a relationship issue. I'm not arguing one way or the other for it, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy and B.S. "logic" there. (That's logic as in women's logic, as in "it doesn't make any actual sense, but that's OK because I'm a woman.")
So if a woman agrees that women should stay home and raise the kids, does it then become acceptable for her to want men to pay for dates and give women financial support?

Old 08-01-2014, 06:45 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If as you say, the planner pays, I suggest you simply let the guy plan and be happy with wherever he decides to take you.

When you are ready to plan and pay, you take him where you'd like.

^^^this. Whoever plans and initiates the date pays. If you want to go to more expensive places then you suggest it and you pay. If he is planning the date he should go where he can afford. Seems pretty simple.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
^^^this. Whoever plans and initiates the date pays. If you want to go to more expensive places then you suggest it and you pay. If he is planning the date he should go where he can afford. Seems pretty simple.

And in real life it is. Amazing!

Old 08-01-2014, 06:57 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
So if a woman agrees that women should stay home and raise the kids, does it then become acceptable for her to want men to pay for dates and give women financial support?
Yes.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:03 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Yes.
Ok. You guys know there are women out there who would be perfectly happy to never work again, right?

Old 08-01-2014, 07:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Ok. You guys know there are women out there who would be perfectly happy to never work again, right?

Thankfully, I can't say I've ever dated one!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:14 AM

898 posts, read 937,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I would agree with this 100%. But IME, the guy is initiating dates 99% of the time. For women, this is some sort of self-validation process (if he likes me, then he asks me out). Therefore, this ends up always falling on the guy.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:15 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
My income at this point is fairly middle of the road for my age group. I've dated men who make a lot less than me and dated men who make 3 or 4 times what I make. Typically, we split it - I'm a foodie but like to do it on the cheap, so when it's my turn for a date, I'll cook or take him to a cheap but delicious taqueria or dim sum. I also make extensive use of Groupons and other deals to make dates more affordable.

A lot of men insist on paying no matter what the income level is. I'll be honest, if a guy who I know makes less than me insists on paying, I'm likely to walk away. I'm made less uncomfortable when it's someone who makes a lot more than me. For instance, two of my exes were engineers at name-brand tech firms when I was either in college or just out in my first job. They tended to pay for everything - even one paying for groceries so I could cook (though he claimed that it was cheaper than what he'd do if he was alone - order take out). One in particular was a huge foodie and his average night out was more expensive than a special night out for me. Therefore, he paid most of the time because he expected a certain level of food, drink, and ambiance that we wouldn't get if we were splitting.

It's something to discuss up front. I never make assumptions and always expect to split. That's why the first few dates are always coffee, ice cream, and other cheap things to avoid the awkwardness of who gets the bill.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:19 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My income at this point is fairly middle of the road for my age group. I've dated men who make a lot less than me and dated men who make 3 or 4 times what I make. Typically, we split it - I'm a foodie but like to do it on the cheap, so when it's my turn for a date, I'll cook or take him to a cheap but delicious taqueria or dim sum. I also make extensive use of Groupons and other deals to make dates more affordable.

A lot of men insist on paying no matter what the income level is. I'll be honest, if a guy who I know makes less than me insists on paying, I'm likely to walk away. I'm made less uncomfortable when it's someone who makes a lot more than me. For instance, two of my exes were engineers at name-brand tech firms when I was either in college or just out in my first job. They tended to pay for everything - even one paying for groceries so I could cook (though he claimed that it was cheaper than what he'd do if he was alone - order take out). One in particular was a huge foodie and his average night out was more expensive than a special night out for me. Therefore, he paid most of the time because he expected a certain level of food, drink, and ambiance that we wouldn't get if we were splitting.

It's something to discuss up front. I never make assumptions and always expect to split. That's why the first few dates are always coffee, ice cream, and other cheap things to avoid the awkwardness of who gets the bill.
Wow, is that a woman's way of saying I refuse to pay for a date at a expensive restaurant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships