Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 04:43 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,921 times

Advertisements

Not many women do all this for a guy so consider yourself lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 04:45 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
I would feel weird not paying my own way to see someone I want to meet...
Especially if it was someone who I only knew for a few weeks talking long distance.

If I accepted in order to find out if we are compatible off the computer screens I would at the very least be paying half my airfare. Feelings aside, it's the proper thing to be doing.

Why is she so eager to move to you after only a few weeks of you have never even met? Have you?

The whole situation would cause me to stop, think and consider many things...

Old 08-05-2014, 04:53 PM

898 posts, read 938,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Especially if it was someone who I only knew for a few weeks talking long distance.

If I accepted in order to find out if we are compatible off the computer screens I would at the very least be paying half my airfare. Feelings aside, it's the proper thing to be doing.

Why is she so eager to move to you after only a few weeks of you have never even met? Have you?

The whole situation would cause me to consider many things...
We have met once. I explained our relationship in the OP. Please refer back to that for details on how we met. She was very insistent that I take her up on the offer. I would have felt like I let her down if I did not go.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:56 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
We have met once. I explained our relationship in the OP. Please refer back to that for details on how we met. She was very insistent that I take her up on the offer. I would have felt like I let her down if I did not go.
Than do as you please
Ain't nobody here gonna stop chemicals in motion

Old 08-27-2014, 04:43 AM

13 posts, read 13,901 times
cool

Old 08-27-2014, 06:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Well, I think $600 for a three day trip to visit someone who you've only met once would have any average person uncertain. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

And the idea of not liking to accept large gifts is just a weird quirk of mine. I mean, it's more of a humility thing than anything. If you think about this scenario, I have a girl who wants to help fly me out, take me to an event, and well...we'll see where it goes from there . Who wouldn't want that? I guess I just feel really honored and undeserving of it all though. It's just the way I was raised.
It's not a weird quirk, don't worry. Your hesitation was based on very normal manners.

Have a great time!

Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Personally, I would feel much better purchasing my own airfare, but gladly accepting the event ticket- if I wanted to go.

If it was me, I'd politely decline and wait for a different opportunity to present itself.

The choice is yours.
This.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:47 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,629,024 times
Quote:
Oh boy, I can imagine some of the responses I'll get from some of you on this. Well, here goes...

I have a romantic interest who wants me to come visit on short notice. There's this event she wants to go to and she apparently doesn't have anyone local to go with. So she has offered to pay half of my airfare if I choose to fly out. She has already purchased the event tickets, so that would be part of the deal.

We've had one date when she was in town, but we've been talking for several weeks now over the phone. This individual is trying to relocate to where I currently live (that was her plan before we met). I'd love to go visit her and join her at this event. However, I don't know that I'm particularly comfortable with accepting her overture for paying half the fare. And at this point, the airline tickets are quite pricey (especially to justify for a short weekend trip), thus I'm not too eager to drop the full amount of the ticket because I already have some big plans this month (family coming in from out of town) that were planned months prior to this. My hangup is that we don't know each other all that well and if things didn't work out for whatever reason, I'd hate to have this on my conscience.

Thoughts? Would you accept the offer and see where it goes? Would you politely decline the offer and continue to pursue it over the phone until hopefully this person moves out here?

If she was really willing to pay any of the expenses for the ticket, she'd propose to pay/buy the ticket and you'd be able to either repay her or pay half of the expenses later on.
I think she also expects you not to ask that money from her or to accept it, to be honest, it may be very awkward for both of you to play out any of these scenarios.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:11 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
You've already met, so you are pretty confident she isn't setting you up to be kidnapped. Go for it, let her pay half....it is a nice gesture, and shows she is seriously interested. Don't let that macho stuff get in the way of fun and spontaneity. If all things are kosher, Go for it! Have fun, and update us when you get back

Old 09-02-2014, 06:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post

The whole situation would cause me to stop, think and consider many things...
Read the OP again....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships